So what do you do when you are sick?

So on the weekend I went to the Dr. and found out that I've come down with Strep Throat. I have not been able to do any exercising since. I have found that strep throat simply wipes me out, when I do try to do something I get fatigued very quickly. I am on penicillin right now to deal with the strep and will be on it for the next 7 days. I just hope that I can get back to doing something before the next 7 days are over.

Part of the journey here is to become healthy not just weight loss, so I guess I should simply do what I need to do to get better but I really hope I can do something soon as I feel I am missing out on my daily workout.

Replies

• hiswifetheirmommy
    hiswifetheirmommy Posts: 30 Member
    When I had strep, it took me 10 days to feel human again. I say you need to drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest...but I'm no doctor. I sure wouldn't worry about working out until you feel up to it. Strep is no joke! Feel better soon!
  • I think resting and getting lots of liquid will be your best bet. However, if you feel you HAVE to do something, little things like shaking your legs while you are sitting will burn some calories, you can also try doing really short reps to not wear yourself out ( like 10 crunches)
    Additionally, my sister meditates and when she focuses on her breathing she also focuses on tightening then releasing her ab muscles. That could be something low impact you could try.
    Hope you feel better very soon. :flowerforyou:
  • holthaus30
    holthaus30 Posts: 58 Member
    I would not stress working out, I got strep twice in one month and it was terrible. Just get lots of rest and try to eat healthy as usual.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member

I am on penicillin right now

I didn't know they still prescribe that. WOW! :noway: I haven't heard that mention in 20 years.

Anyways, being sick sucks. You have to let your body rest. It is counter-productive to try to work out. Just relax and enjoy the break, well, sort of.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 687 Member
    Can't remember the last time I have been sick. Allergy problems once in awhile but I don't call that being sick
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    If you've got a fever, rest up and don't push yourself. General good rule of thumb is if whatever you're sick with doesn't produce a fever and is contained to above the neck (so allergies, annoying head colds, things of that nature) get your butt out there and get some exercise. As long as you're staying well hydrated, the extra movement can help flush out your system. But if what you've got is producing a fever and is concentrated below your neck (strep counts in this one, plus anything that makes you vomit), take it easy, drink plenty of water (and Pedialyte, it taste kind of gross, but it's great for replenishing electrolytes without a bunch of sugar), and get lots of rest. Feel better!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    So on the weekend I went to the Dr. and found out that I've come down with Strep Throat. I have not been able to do any exercising since. I have found that strep throat simply wipes me out, when I do try to do something I get fatigued very quickly. I am on penicillin right now to deal with the strep and will be on it for the next 7 days. I just hope that I can get back to doing something before the next 7 days are over.

Part of the journey here is to become healthy not just weight loss, so I guess I should simply do what I need to do to get better but I really hope I can do something soon as I feel I am missing out on my daily workout.

I rest, drink lots of fluids, and eat according to what my body needs/will allow. A sick body needs to spend energy fighting the illness, not wasting it on exercise.
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    It isn't a good idea to work out while your body is trying to recover from a illness...especially something like strep.

Your body is working over time to fight the sickness and to heal. By working out you could deplete your body's energy stores is desperately needs right now. Rest and recover...then you can get back to working out.

(P.S. Penicillin is still a common and widely used medication. I am deathly allergic to it and every time I need to go on antibiotics they have to find the alternative.)
  • In general, I follow the below the neck rule - if I have symptoms below my neck, I don't exercise. However, I also avoid working out if I have fever or if I'm just feeling too bad to make it through. I guess for me, I have to decide if it's a "suck it up" situation or an "I really AM sick" situation.

That being said when I had strep after Christmas, I had fever AND felt like death for 4 days so I didn't do much of anything!
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Rest, water, medicine, salads, vegetable soups, herbal tea. If a sore throat is involved I add hot lemon juice sweetened with honey.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member

I take my vitamin C (seems to help me).. and try to eat at maintenance. You will get better faster if you're not in a calorie deficit.
    Mostly just rest, and look at it as a reset time for your diet.
    Get better, then keep moving on.
  • Thanks everyone, I will continue to rest and eat well, I just hope it's over soon. It does seem to be improving day by day, I guess I'm just anxious to get back to normal.
  • KLWELL400
    KLWELL400 Posts: 22
    Thanks everyone, I will continue to rest and eat well, I just hope it's over soon. It does seem to be improving day by day, I guess I'm just anxious to get back to normal.

back to normal....I love that you say that now, how easy it was for your daily jogs to become normal. I am proud of you and want you to get as much rest as possible. Healthy body will swing back into "normal" faster than a sick one. :flowerforyou: