suggestions for strength training

Options
Hi! I began dieting and excersising in Dec. I've lost almost 25lbs so far and I'm down to 154! I still have about 35 lbs to lose to be at my ideal weight but so far I've only been doing cardio (treadmill). I want to incorporate some light strength training maybe once or twice a week. I have a bit of a motivational problem and I need to start out slow and I don't want to wear myself out or get too achey because I work with children and often have to pick them up, etc. Any suggestions on where to start and what to do?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I would suggest "heavy" weight training not "light". "Light" won't accomplish much. You will be sore the first week or two but not very often after that. Heavy weight training will make picking those kids up super easy. I used to have a hard time picking up my 4 year old, now it's no problem at all. I would also suggest 2-3 days a week.

Some good programs are:
    New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women (this will also help you get over your fear of heavy lifting, I hope)
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5

Make sure you read all information on form. And maybe even check out youtube for some videos. Start light to get form down but then work your way higher.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/

or look into a modified SS program.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have not read the books my self but I have heard about a series of books called "The New Rules for lifting" .

These sounded like a good place to get some info.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women! Awesome read. Workouts look pretty easy to follow. It even gives you an eating plan to maximize your results. I'm not doing it yet, but I'm excited about trying it this summer!
  • dmossett
    dmossett Posts: 24
    Options
    I love strong lifts 5x5! Check out the website at www.stronglifts.com.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options

Sorry to be a dunce, what's an SS program?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I really like pilates. It helps me stand tall and "hold" everything in. Great for the core and does not require equipment.

10 Minute Solution Slim & Sculpt Pilates is a favorite. It does require a resistance band, but it will be included if you buy it new.

Self Trim & Tone Fast is good too. Short workouts that use dumbbells (start with 5 lbs).

Both are programmable - you can add as many sections as you like.
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will look into your suggestions. I want to start slowly so I can step it up a bit down the road. I have a ways to go weight loss wise.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Sorry to be a dunce, what's an SS program?

starting strength
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    you could do some crossfit workouts crossfit.com theya re short/tough and effective. its usually cardio and strength
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women! Awesome read. Workouts look pretty easy to follow. It even gives you an eating plan to maximize your results. I'm not doing it yet, but I'm excited about trying it this summer!

I love New Rules...at first it's a little daunting, but once you start, it's so freakin' empowering. I had to make friends with the deadlifts, but I'm in shock at how strong my upper body is. I'm already deadlifting 85lbs and it's only round 2. I don't do the eating plan, i just follow MFP (although since i started, i did boost my calories by 300 because i wasn't losing). Do the equations in the book, get a feel of where you should be, and give it a go! Best $6 I ever spent.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I would suggest "heavy" weight training not "light". "Light" won't accomplish much. You will be sore the first week or two but not very often after that. Heavy weight training will make picking those kids up super easy. I used to have a hard time picking up my 4 year old, now it's no problem at all. I would also suggest 2-3 days a week.

Some good programs are:
    New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women (this will also help you get over your fear of heavy lifting, I hope)
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5

Make sure you read all information on form. And maybe even check out youtube for some videos. Start light to get form down but then work your way higher.

This!! I would also suggest Jamie Eason LiveFit, I am doing that program now and LOVE IT!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Some good programs are:
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5

This!! I would also suggest Jamie Eason LiveFit, I am doing that program now and LOVE IT!

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of that one. Way too much isolation (bicep curls,etc) not enough compound moves (squats, etc), especially for beginners.