Weight Loss Shakes

Options
Hey Everyone :happy:

I was wondering what everyone thinks about weight loss shakes? Most are supposed to be meal replacements, ei: Slim fast.

There are some that I like and I buy at Costco, but I never not eat with them, I just like them to kind of hold me over or just as a snack. I don't like the way protein drinks taste and sometimes feel like these shakes can be a substitute for protein shakes.

I don't know if they are bad for me or not. The one I like has 230 calories, which I haven't had since joining MFP because I think that's a lot of calories. But some days I have calories left and I think I want to try it again. Just wanted some opinions on it.

Replies

• Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Lean 25 shakes as meal supplements and protein shakes, but never entirely as meal replacement. It all comes down to what works for your lifestyle and weightloss, IMO.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have the Slim fast and Tesco's Ultraslim ones. I don't have them as meal replacement but as a top up for the vitamins/minerals when I fancy. They do have quite a bit of sugar but I don't have a lot of sugar in anything else.

The powders ones allow the person to adjust how much to put in a drink. It will ask for 2 scoops to make 200ish calories like the bottles, but I found the Tesco one does not mix properly and come out too thick unless I half the number of scoops.

My favourite flavours are banana, cafe latte and strawberry.
  • perifecto
    perifecto Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    To me shakes are for when I don't have time to prepare real food like on a work day morning or for when I need to eat late and don't want something that is heavy or slow to digest. Atkins brand is my first choice with decent taste, more protein and less sga than many others like Slimfast. I tried Slimfast in the plastic bottles recently due to a sale and they taste like liqowderuid plastic! Ugh! I used the old powder Slimfast back in the 80s and even that tasted better.

I would suggest having a high protein, low sugar shake or bar like Atkins on hand to keep from eating fast food or office goodies and wrecking your day, but a better use of "extra" calories is an apple with high fiber and sugar that does not spike blood sugar as badly as some things, possibly with some peanut butter or other nut butter. The fruit will keep hunger away longer and provide water too.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I use shakes as meal replacement every day. I just don't have time to make a fancy lunch and breakfast most days. I have 4 small shakes a day, spread out along the day. Mine have 15g of protein each, so it really helps me reach my protein goal! Some days I need to supplement and add more food, but a lot of the time I'm good. But I am on a medical weight loss plan too, so I'm a little limited on my choices!
  • karenzaphyr
    Options
    I use the shakeology everyday. I replace either breakfast or lunch with it. I know I'm getting all my fruits and vegetables in that I need - plus so much more. It keeps me filled up until snack time. Chocolate is my favorite!
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've been through the whole shake thing, but when I am hungry in a pinch I can throw togeather a very filling salad that is much more satasfying and has a much better nutritional profile. I don't like how so many supliments have so much junk in them.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/two-minute-salad/#axzz1pgsALXNR
  • Runnergirlee
    Runnergirlee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've typically tried to stay away from them, opting instead for real food to hold me over (as other's have commented on as well)...however...recently I bought a case of Muscle Mlk, Light from Costco and I must say am quite impressed. Doesn't have that awful, fake after taste I had expected, 0 sugar (yes, there are artificial sweeteners in there though), and just enough protein for my after-workout needs (15g/shake).

I would be careful of the high protein ones...unless you're doing a lot of weight bearing exercise / body building....from what I have read, you really only require 1g of protein per pound of body weight after a workout for muscle repair...anything more than that is extra calories and sometimes is really just 'flushed out' as waste anyway (I am by no means an expert, just what I've read).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth....seems like a good 'emergency' go-to when you might not have real food available in a pinch!
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've recently started drinking the Slim Fast one for breakfast, but never on its own. Always with two glasses of water and something else. It would never be enough to keep me satisfied, and I just don't think its entirely healthy (no matter what the label says - for this brand anyway). I use it mostly because its so much faster than making myself oatmeal or something else since my mornings are usually so busy.
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • jgarrisond
    jgarrisond Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use them almost everyday, I have four children to get out the door to school and still make it to work on time..The shakes are easy because I can just drink one when I get in the office. And I only get a half an hour lunch so once again it is easier to just drink a shake.
  • braydray
    braydray Posts: 5
    Options
    I like what I had today....one scoop whey isolate protein powder, 1/4 c rolled oats, 2 tbsp flax seed, 1/2 c skim milk and 1/2 c water. Filling
  • Adriann22
    Options
    Hello. Weight Loss Shakes are great and could help you a lot. But I don't think this is enough. You should also watch your diet everyday and also do some workout (gym, jogging, swmining, etc). I personally run into this training system, called Fat Burning Furnace, and it worked like a miracle for me. I had a workout plan for me, diets, shakes and everything you name it...it was like I've had my own personal coach. Check it out if you want...:)
    Hope admins won't take this as a spam or commercial...because I just want to help. Good luck! :)

http://ihealthreview.blogspot.com
  • michal121
    michal121 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have great success after using weight loss shakes. Shakes are a good source of vitamins and minerals. Shakes are inexpensive, especially when compared to other diet products, because we can make at home.
    Beyond diet Isabel De Los Rios