Animal-Friendly Easter Ideas!

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
How's it going all! Easter is right around the corner, and this year I wanted to offer some animal-friendly options to incorporate into your holiday! Who knows - maybe you'll start some new family traditions :)

- Get wood, clay or plastic eggs from your local craft store and dye, paint and/or decorate them (even better if the plastic eggs are filled with tasty goodies!) Use dye, paint markers, or colorful stickers!

- Read picture books: I don't know about you, but one of my favorite memories from my childhood were when my parents would read stories to me - it's definitely something that will stick with me forever. Consider stories like The Tale of Peter Rabbit and other stories featuring typical Easter animals.

- "Adopt" Rabbits and Chickens in Need: While it's generally not a wise decision to adopt baby chicks or fluffy bunnies "in honor" of Easter (as most of these animals will wind up back in the shelter, abandoned or worse once their novelty wears off), organizations like Farm Sanctuary and The Gentle Barn could always use donations to help care for the animals in their sanctuaries.

I know that for my family, the idea of a Thanksgiving without a turkey or Easter without a ham was sort of scary at first, but eventually we had a long discussion - were we doing these traditions because they were necessary, or just because that was how it had always been done? My parents still eat meat and maintain a certain amount of traditions, but slowly, they are thinking more about their decisions and making more compassionate choices.

What are your favorite animal-friendly holiday traditions?

Replies

• live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Love these ideas, especially the eggs! :D

Books, too, were my favorite!
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately with Easter approaching again. I'd like to start a family tradition for the veggies in the family, and not just that, the non-Christians in the family too. Eggs and bunnies are not Christian symbols and I'd like to acknowledge that spring holidays have more than one basis. Granted, Ostara, or the Vernal Equinox, is today.

Every year we do an egg hunt for plastic eggs at my husband's brother's house. I do miss dyeing eggs tho. Maybe we could "dye" (marinate) tofu and then cook it. My husband has been itching to try our new flavor injector for making vegan runny eggs. I would like to make some deviled tofu this year.

Maybe I'll make some flower and bunny cookies that my son can decorate. Decorating the house and doing artwork is always fun for kids. Maybe I'll make him a basket of goodies.

As far as other holidays, we always have tofurkey or field roast, and we bring our own food to big events and gatherings. I always crack up at the omnis who won't eat the simple vegetable dishes we bring. Seriously, roasted vegetables are still roasted vegetables! They're not "weird vegan food" just because we brought it. HAHAHAHA!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately with Easter approaching again. I'd like to start a family tradition for the veggies in the family, and not just that, the non-Christians in the family too. Eggs and bunnies are not Christian symbols and I'd like to acknowledge that spring holidays have more than one basis. Granted, Ostara, or the Vernal Equinox, is today.

Every year we do an egg hunt for plastic eggs at my husband's brother's house. I do miss dyeing eggs tho. Maybe we could "dye" (marinate) tofu and then cook it. My husband has been itching to try our new flavor injector for making vegan runny eggs. I would like to make some deviled tofu this year.

Maybe I'll make some flower and bunny cookies that my son can decorate. Decorating the house and doing artwork is always fun for kids. Maybe I'll make him a basket of goodies.

As far as other holidays, we always have tofurkey or field roast, and we bring our own food to big events and gatherings. I always crack up at the omnis who won't eat the simple vegetable dishes we bring. Seriously, roasted vegetables are still roasted vegetables! They're not "weird vegan food" just because we brought it. HAHAHAHA!

I love this idea! Even big egg-shaped cookies that they could decorate would be fun, and along the same tradition! Great ideas in this post!