Eating More Calories???

Options
Ok I habe a question and some confusion maybe someone can help me with...... So I have been reading some of the bloggs and I see alot of people who say thay have hit a point where there not losing so they eat more calories and then they start losing again??? So confused, wouldnt you start gaining if you started eating more??? Someone please explain this to me

Replies

• saulmfp
    saulmfp Posts: 3
    Options
    Eating more calories is correct only if you have been depriving yourself of too many calories and this is the reason your metabolism has slowed. Keep in mind that your body will fight you on weight loss if it thinks you are starving it. This is why it is not recommended that you go below 1200 calories a day (depending on your size)...body will go into starvation mode and work against you. So, you have to eat more to trick your body into thinking that it is not starving, but still below a threshhold where you will lose weight (based on BMR and exercise you do in a week). Here is an example that applies to me: In order to lose 2 lbs a week, I am at 1200 calories daily, but I also workout several days a week, burning anywhere from 500 to 1200 calories a workout. On some days, I eat back calories i burned fully, on other days only partially. Some days I don't work out and eat slightly more than 1200 a calories a day, but am still at a net deficit for the week, so overall goal is met for 2 lb week weight loss. This calorie cycling helps to fool my body into thinking there is plenty of food and prevents starvation mode. I also take a complete week off of workouts every three weeks to let my body recover and only do light stretching while eating all 1200 to 1400 calories a day (increase in calories, but still gives me net weight loss for week).

BTW, your post got my attention as I am also SRivera. Hope this helps. I've lost 43 lbs doing this since Sep. 22...has worked very well for me.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too..I struggle with this question. I eat 1260 cals a day and workout 4-5 days a week and burn a minimum of 400 cals(per polar HRM). I haven't lost in over a month..I'm a bit scared to increase calories as it's not what we've been taught..however, I do think I need a jump start.. I'm 4'11 and weigh 158 which is still obese..Ideally, I would like to weigh 130. Hmmm think I'm going to give it a try