MFP Runners ~ May 16

Options
Drinking a protein shake before my long run this morning.
I drank about 60 oz of water before bed to help hydrate.
Definitely feeling nervous about tackling 7-8 miles.
I hope the rest of you have a good run today and I'll post back later with my results.
Thanks for letting me share my nerves! :flowerforyou:

Becky

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    becky - I am sure you did well on your long run this morning! I always get anxious/excited about going a farther distance for the first time. But then after that first mile is over and if I'm feeling good, I get all my confidence back.

I just got finished with a hilly 5k. Did it in 25:48 so I'm pretty pleased. My goal before was a 5k in 27 so I am proud of myself! I don't time every day, which for me is refreshing. So it was probably a month ago when I last timed my 5k. I think I got it in 27:30 then or something close to that.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Holy smokes! Do your shoes catch fire when you run!?!?! :smokin: That is a blistering 5k pace!
    Good job!:drinker:
    I was happy last week at a charity 5k to do it in 30:30!

Well, I thought I did 8 miles this morning, BUT when we finished our time was 80 minutes and I knew there was no way I was running 10 minute miles. So I re-clocked the route and it was *only* 6.5. My running partner is a math teacher who can't count!!!:laugh:
    It was incredibly humid this morning, but not too sunny until the last couple miles. We did take one potty and water break halfway, and one 30 second walk break so my friend could walk out a side stitch!
    So I calculate we were doing 12:15 miles which *feels* more accurate to me.
    I am still proud of myself as that is my longest run to date, since someone's calculations were inaccurate on this run...I'm a bit skeptical on our last long run! :tongue:
    And, my running buddy has been running for 6 years opposed to my 6 weeks and I talked HER through the last mile today!:bigsmile:

Thanks to all of you for posting your results,runs,advice,encouragement. It has really helped me as a new runner gain excitement and knowledge. You are an awesome group of people!!! :flowerforyou:

Becky
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Got 7.25 miles in this morning. First run all week, so good to get out there. Have a good weekend!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon:flowerforyou:

No running for me today. I biked 2 miles and burned a whopping 129 calories. Boy do I LOVE running!

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    becky - I am sure you did well on your long run this morning! I always get anxious/excited about going a farther distance for the first time. But then after that first mile is over and if I'm feeling good, I get all my confidence back.

I just got finished with a hilly 5k. Did it in 25:48 so I'm pretty pleased. My goal before was a 5k in 27 so I am proud of myself! I don't time every day, which for me is refreshing. So it was probably a month ago when I last timed my 5k. I think I got it in 27:30 then or something close to that.

Way to go!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Holy smokes! Do your shoes catch fire when you run!?!?! :smokin: That is a blistering 5k pace!
    Good job!:drinker:
    I was happy last week at a charity 5k to do it in 30:30!

Well, I thought I did 8 miles this morning, BUT when we finished our time was 80 minutes and I knew there was no way I was running 10 minute miles. So I re-clocked the route and it was *only* 6.5. My running partner is a math teacher who can't count!!!:laugh:
    It was incredibly humid this morning, but not too sunny until the last couple miles. We did take one potty and water break halfway, and one 30 second walk break so my friend could walk out a side stitch!
    So I calculate we were doing 12:15 miles which *feels* more accurate to me.
    I am still proud of myself as that is my longest run to date, since someone's calculations were inaccurate on this run...I'm a bit skeptical on our last long run! :tongue:
    And, my running buddy has been running for 6 years opposed to my 6 weeks and I talked HER through the last mile today!:bigsmile:

Thanks to all of you for posting your results,runs,advice,encouragement. It has really helped me as a new runner gain excitement and knowledge. You are an awesome group of people!!! :flowerforyou:

Becky

6.5 is nothing to be ashamed of... Great job today!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I went to the race course site this morning and exceeded my expectations in terms of distance. I looped around the island, across the bridge and then all the way to the next bridge. It was crazy! I am so pumped now! Now I have to figure out how to keep going so I can have stamina to run all 3.2 miles!! Have a good weekend!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I finished the Couch to 5K program this morning, so I got about 30 minutes in today. I think my pace is somewhere around 11:30 min/mile, so I will just keep adding a few minutes on each week to get my endurance up. I'll be quite happy to finish my first 5K without walking, the speed can come later.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I didn't run today; I'm trying to give myself a rest day but it's really hard. I find myself itching to go outside and see if I can do better than yesterday lol. I think Im addicted!

But last night my body was TIRED! I felt completely drained...and then I woke up this morning really sore.

My husband bought me some new running shoes (he is so supportive and thoughtful!) and I wore them for the first time yesterday. I kept getting cramps in my feet. I had been wearing an old pair of worn out walking shoes so Im wondering if the cramps came because of my new shoes or because I hadn't been wearing good shoes and my feet needed getting used to them?

They are New Balance shoes, not top of the line (I'll have to log a lot of miles to get really nice ones lol) but not bottom, either, I think.

I remember when I first started walking (years ago) after close to 20 years of no exercise. I got cramps just like the ones I got yesterday. Running is new to me...could that be it? Or should I try to replace my shoes (eekk, sorry honey :flowerforyou: )

On a side note, how often should I run? 3 or 4 days a week? can I alternate runs with strength training? LOL, sorry for the newbie questions in advance guys. I read coolrunning and runnerworld but they get confusing. Thanks!
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys are amazing! I've been *thinking* about running after years of *thinking* I hated it. I tried it tonight and it was actually cool...I couldn't maintain for very long, but I didn't die either :smile:

Anyhow, I just wanted to say thanks for the motivation!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I ran 4.5 miles today, got about a mile into it and the rain started :laugh:
    i looked like a wet rat by the time I finished but it kept me nice and cool.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Well, I just ran the longest run yet. 6 miles!!!! I did it in 60:21. I had to stop 4 times to stretch my legs (think I was a little dehydrated), but I did it! A little slow, but I did it!!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I didn't run today; I'm trying to give myself a rest day but it's really hard. I find myself itching to go outside and see if I can do better than yesterday lol. I think Im addicted!

But last night my body was TIRED! I felt completely drained...and then I woke up this morning really sore.

My husband bought me some new running shoes (he is so supportive and thoughtful!) and I wore them for the first time yesterday. I kept getting cramps in my feet. I had been wearing an old pair of worn out walking shoes so Im wondering if the cramps came because of my new shoes or because I hadn't been wearing good shoes and my feet needed getting used to them?

They are New Balance shoes, not top of the line (I'll have to log a lot of miles to get really nice ones lol) but not bottom, either, I think.

I remember when I first started walking (years ago) after close to 20 years of no exercise. I got cramps just like the ones I got yesterday. Running is new to me...could that be it? Or should I try to replace my shoes (eekk, sorry honey :flowerforyou: )

On a side note, how often should I run? 3 or 4 days a week? can I alternate runs with strength training? LOL, sorry for the newbie questions in advance guys. I read coolrunning and runnerworld but they get confusing. Thanks!
    Any time you change things up (like new shoes) it will change your stride and it may make you sore. It could be that the shoes are suited for the way you run (go to a running store and have them video and evaluate your gait), but it may just be a matter of breaking in and getting used to the new shoes. Depending on your goals, I would run 3-4 days a week, not more. You can alternate cross training days (biking, strength training, aerobics, whtaever), and remember to take a rest day. You do need some time to recover.