Should I chuck in the towel for tonight?

Options
2»

Replies

• mrflash222
    mrflash222 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Absolutely never throw in the towel!!!! This whole thing is a journey. It is full of ups and downs. Hopefully, we learn from the downs and cherish and celebrate the ups. You're the bomb and doing fantastic!!!! Don't sweat it!!!! You've go this!!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    People please read the title more carefully, she is not talking about chucking in the towel permanently, just for tonight, and what exactly that means, I am not sure. I read it in the most positive way I could, that she would stop eating for tonight. I guess it could be taken that she will binge more, but I don't think that is what she meant.
  • billthekill
    Options
    Ok so I had a slightly unhealthy weekend - i ate pizza - but I was under my 1400 calorie goal. Monday I ate good - after 5 days

Good Job. Eating a pizza is perfectly OK.
    I'm still at 196 - not a 0.1 difference.
    If you had a deficit in calories, YOU DID LOSE WEIGHT.
    You have to account for water weight that can vary up/down a few pounds. If you were to drink 2 cups of water right now, you will gain 1lbs on the scale instantly.
    Just learn to trust the system: As long as you have a deficit, you will lose weight even though the scale doesn't show it.
    Today my plan was to be as good as gold and not eat anything bad and do exercise. This was going well until I binged on 500 calories of lemon cake - my first unaccountable binge in a month or so. It put my calories at 2300.
    You ate 2300 calories and call that a "Binge"? You seriously are too hard on yourself.
    I started to try doing Turbofire Fire 60 which is a lot harder than the ones I usually do in a desperate attempt to burn those cals. I already have DOMS (exercise pains in my legs that made me stiff and limpy all day today) today but went for it anyway. After 20 minutes of the hour program I had to shut it off - I never shut it off - I love the workouts. i was in severe pain - probably from eating too much.
    Exerciser is good for you but, not necessary to lose weight. If you are sore or don't feel like working out, take a break. Losing weight is 90% DIET.
    Now my calories are netting at 1900 but I know it's going to make me put on a pound overnight and it will ruin my day and threaten to derail my whole weight loss process if I weigh myself in the morning and see that. I know that sounds pathetic but it's how I feel. Im close to tears thinking about that stupid cake. What was I thinking?!

For you to gain a pound overnight, you will need to eat about 5,500 calories in one day. If the weight goes up on the scale, trust me, its Water Weight.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    People please read the title more carefully, she is not talking about chucking in the towel permanently, just for tonight, and what exactly that means, I am not sure. I read it in the most positive way I could, that she would stop eating for tonight. I guess it could be taken that she will binge more, but I don't think that is what she meant.

Apologies if it was unclear - I meant should I give up trying to exercise off that extra 500 calories as I ache so much.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, stop for today.
    If you're in pain, then exercising is not likely to do you any good.

Take a deep breath, accept that you didn't have a great day. Then spend a few minutes making a food/exercise plan for tomorrow them go to bed and start fresh tomorrow. Those excess pounds took months or year to grown on you, one day of bad (or good!) eating isn't going to change things dramatically.
    The key thing is not to let this make you give up on everything and don't let it exercise yourself into an injury.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you're really not feeling it, it's OK to take the evening off and try again tomorrow. Remember that it takes 3500 calories OVER what you burn to gain one pound of fat. If you didn't go over by that much, the 1 pound gain on the scale is water, and food in your digestive system. It WILL go away again.

It may help you to have alternative exercises you can do when you're sore in one area. Maybe a nice leisurely walk will loosen you up and still get your heart rate up without hurting so much?
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to be hard, but weighing your self everyday is silly, your setting yourself up for disappointment! your body weight will go up and down every day that this can take your eye off the prize! weigh yourself no more 2 times a week, and start putting more effort into your diet than looking at a scale everyday.