no sugar for one month...any one try this?

Options
Bmjnash
Bmjnash Posts: 101 Member
I just had my son on 3-9-12. And all I want is sugar, and after I eat it I feel like crap! So I am going to give up all sugar for a month. Has anyone tryed to? Or want to do it with me?I know its not going to be easy, but I will do it for a month.

Replies

• ladybrynamman
    Options
    i have deliberately avoided sugar and sugary food and previously made excellent losses doing that! but if you are craving sugar, why not swap to honey and porridge, for breakfast, to keep your blood sugar level, and also try chromium supplements?
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I just finished a 30 day strict eating plan where the only sugar was natural from fruits and veggies. It is definately doable. I managed to muddle through it with only two abberations (darn Starbucks )
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've been off sugar for over a year. I feel amazing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Just a question. After a month, you're going to eat sugar again? If you are, then why give it up? Why not figure out how to just portion it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sugar, yeah. Avoid it always. Sugars in foods? Can't do it. Lots of good foods have sugars in them...like fruit, for instance.

Mostly, I just avoid refined carbs. Eating them has never worked well for me.
  • Amorgan325
    Options
    I did that a couple of summers ago (along with any refined carbs) and lost weight really fast. I hit a plateau and then it has slowly creeped back on the past two years. I need to do something to jump start but not quite sure what. When were you thinking of starting no sugar?
  • erh12275
    erh12275 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Me! I gave up sweets for Lent. I have never used sugar in my tea or coffee or cereals. However, I also gave up all other sweets except those in fruits. So no cakes, ice cream, candies, etc. It doesn't really bother me. It has been a few weeks and I couple to go. I don't miss them unless I really think about them. It really helps my diet since I don't have to figure out where to lose calories in my meal to fit my shake or cake or what have you. I have decided that I am giving it up for good(with the exception of a few mins a month that I am going to allow myself to indulge.) Used to think I had to have sugary food but, now I know I don't. Good luck to you!
  • gothtart
    gothtart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough have just set this for 3 months and then see if the habit is good keeping to it after that time period so yeah will join you :)
  • kabloozi
    kabloozi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    White sugar and white flour is what I am trying. Want to stick to 3 fruits a day and not eating after 7 pm also. Good luck to u!
  • wantasmallbummum
    wantasmallbummum Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Not totally cos its in everything, but I've quite chocolate for 9 weeks, and i LOVED chocolate. Funny thing is I'm not really missing it anymore, and my IBS isn't playing up anymore either.
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Just a thought though, if your body is craving sugar, possibly you are needing something? Especially since you just gave birth and if you're breast feeding, I don't think it's bad to have natural sugars to fill up your depleted resources.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This may be an interesting read for people on this topic:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-sugar/#axzz1phQvQKCO
  • Bmjnash
    Options
    I am going to keep all the natural sugars, cut out cookies, candy, extra...I had my little Guy and everyone made us cookies, cakes, and very sweet things. And I hate food going to waste so I keep eating it. If I do well then I will probably try to keep sugar out as much as possible. When I was pregnant I. Hardly ate it.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Just a question. After a month, you're going to eat sugar again? If you are, then why give it up? Why not figure out how to just portion it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This^^ If you plan on eating it after then I wouldn't give it up.

Also I have seen many people give up something they enjoy, then binge and reverse progress
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    Once I got used to eating fruit every day, I quit craving sugar. Eventually it lost something for me. It just doesn't taste as good to me anymore. Right now if you offered me a serving of blueberries or a serving of ice cream or a candy bar, I'd take the blueberries.

Getting used to going without refined sugar is doable. And you really will notice how much better you feel.
  • Alsha1999
    Alsha1999 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This! Why avoid sugar completely. Just decrease the intake from what you are now. It should be something ou can mantain.
  • Bmjnash
    Options
    Oh I am going to start it tomorrow. For those who would like to do it too. Feel free to add me as a friend also.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I gave it up over a year ago when I started MFP and I'm pretty happy without it. I generally avoid all sweeteners except fruit; honey, maple syrup, etc -those are all still sugars without the beneficial fiber of raw fruit. Every once in a while I do have a sugar craving.
  • Wellnessbabe
    Wellnessbabe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my friend today that I need to minimize my sugar consumption..... I'm in, add me if you want.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much added sugar and haven't for the past three-ish months. I occasionally have to taste truffles at work for quality (work at a chocolate factory!) and there is the occasional sugar in a prepackaged food I eat (but those are few and far between these days!). Your cravings will go away.

Check out the 21 sugar detox perhaps? I don't think its your typical detox, I think its more of cleaning up your diet and reducing your dependency on sugar.

http://www.the21daysugardetox.com/