breakfast ideas

Options
kiku76
kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
I need ideas for breakfast. Problem is my son is still nursing and we just found out he's allergic to eggs, milk and PB so I have to avoid those.
I lost quite a bit of weight when I eliminated carbs (well, grains) so I would like to limit them. I have been eating oatmeal but I dont want to eat it daily.
any other ideas? I wake up starving so I need a good breakfast.
Thank you!

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with fruit mixed in. Whole grain pancakes with pumpkin puree mixed in. Strawberry banana smoothies.
  • kiku76
    Options
    thanks but I can't have milk products
  • kjbristol
    kjbristol Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That is tough! I do egg whites, but you could always do a bagel thin (fewer cals and carbs) or a whole wheat english muffin with sugar free jam. I also love oscar meyer turkey bacon for some protein! It is delicious, and two slices only have 2g fat and very low cal! If he can have soy milk, silk is pretty good for cereal and for use in making pancakes (minus the egg).
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Almond butter is a good alternative to peanut butter.. I usually drink almond milk also. When I started losing weight the first protein powder I used was hemp protein powder - it is high fiber also so helps keep you full, it does have a very unique taste though so you may have to try to hide it.. maybe in a fruit smoothie? Adding some kale or other greens is a super way to start the day.. I usually try to limit carbs at breakfast too so I try to focus on protein. Maybe a whole grain pancake with almond butter too? I hope this helps at all..
  • LApurple
    LApurple Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can you do almond or rice milk? I like making quinoa hot cereal instead of oatmeal, more protein and less carbs... I use unsweetened almond milk, a little truvia, and top with cinnamon and fresh fruit. Delicious!
  • kiku76
    Options
    Can you do almond or rice milk? I like making quinoa hot cereal instead of oatmeal, more protein and less carbs... I use unsweetened almond milk, a little truvia, and top with cinnamon and fresh fruit. Delicious!
    we do soy. how do you make it? I tried it before but it was just weird.
  • humanbeing1993
    humanbeing1993 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This has been an issue at my house also because my g/f is allergic to milk, nuts, pitted fruits, and a variety of other things. In fact, her sensitivity is such that even a miniscule amount of milk can cause a BIG reaction. Things you don't think about (like sausage or TV dinners) frequently have milk or a milk product as an ingredient. Generally we shop at the local Sprouts Store which used to be Henry's Market. They have a good variety of foods for people with dietary restrictions. Fortunately, there are quite a few soy and almond derived products that you can use as replacements for milk products.

Anyway, breakfast foods she eats: oatmeal with soy milk, canadian bacon on an english muffin, fresh fruits - blueberries are a particular favorite, soy yogurts (some can be sour tasting so try a couple of different flavors before saying no to all of them), cereal with soy milk (don't drink the soy milk out of the bowl - bleh!), pop tarts - not the lowest in carbs but a good treat sometimes, and granola.

You might try looking for vegan recipies to test out. Although it appears that you are still able to have meat, vegan recipies don't use any animal products so any recipie they have is not going to use eggs, milk, or other dairy products. Just put in your regular meat (beef or chicken) when they call for tofu or alternate types of meatless products.

I hope this helps!
  • cwinottawa
    cwinottawa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there I use almond milk in the morning, for cereal and such. It's tasty though not as calorific as milk. I also eat muesli (the kind with no sugar or oil) or some kind of healthy breakfast cereal. Nature's Path Heritage Flakes is what I have at the moment.