burning crazy amount of calories and not losing weight?

Options
i started out eating 1200 calories and burning about 1600 calories a day. i have now bumped up my burning calories to 2700-3200 a
day and still trying to stay below 1500 calorie intake a day. which puts me in the negative net calories everyday. i have only lost 0.2 lbs. in the last 30 days. i need some advice, if i am burning this many calories how many net calories do i need to intake everyday? i am 5'6" and 155 lbs. i am getting frustrated working this hard and not seeing the results. please help!

Replies

• Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna exercise that much, you need to eat more to support it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how do you know how many calories you are burning? if youre using mfp as your calorie counter then know that it freqyently overestimates calorie burns. three best way to know how many calories you're burning is to wear an hrm with chest strap.

are you certain that this amount is sonething additional and not already figured into your bmr or tdee??
    are you eating more than you think you are?
    are you 100% sure that you have the right number of calories you'd need for maintaining your weight?
  • enginerd81
    Options
    i started out eating 1200 calories and burning about 1600 calories a day. i have now bumped up my burning calories to 2700-3200 a
    day and still trying to stay below 1500 calorie intake a day. which puts me in the negative net calories everyday. i have only lost 0.2 lbs. in the last 30 days. i need some advice, if i am burning this many calories how many net calories do i need to intake everyday? i am 5'6" and 155 lbs. i am getting frustrated working this hard and not seeing the results. please help!

Take some time and browse the forums. There are tons of threads that say you're going about it the wrong way. Which you are. Start by netting 1200-1500 calories a day. At you're current state you're in a -1500 calorie intake. Which isn't leaving your body anything to fuel itself with.

Either that or you're just trolling for some drama.
  • kristaszymanik
    kristaszymanik Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustrations... and was just reading that you need to eat back all of your exercise calories (news to me!)... it sounds like you need to be coming out even on your intake/burn (and you need to stay active)... I'm looking into this more and would like any more info others have to offer about that.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Read this.
    You NEED to eat a LOT more than what you are.
    If you're somehow burning 2700-3200 calories a day (Which is a crazy amount..upwards of 5 hours of intense exercise per day? Unless you're a traithlete in training..even so..) you'll need to be eating at least 4000 calories a day.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oh my god! How are you burning so many calories?! How are you still alive?! Seriously, you eat 1500 calories and burn 2500 calories?! How do you do it?! (I'm serious, how do you do it?!)
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    ...how the hell are you burning 3000 calories a day? how do you find time to eat, sleep, talk to people, or get anything accomplished?
    also, along the lines of what everybody else in the history of every single board on this website has ever said: EAT MORE.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I suspect the estimated calorie burn is off, but you need to fuel yourself or you will get sick.

GG
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Seriously!! You need to back off the cardio... and that is coming from someone who burns an avg. of 1000 calories a day but the one thing I don't do is starve myself.. I eat 800-1000 calories over my BMR (2160 with a 500 calorie deficit built in to lose a pound a week) and some days I bump that up even more depending on how intense my workout is.. The last 3 days I have ate over 3400 calories and have lost 3 lbs. If you are running a Negative Net calorie your body has to be eating up what muscle you have left for a energy source which is just crippling any future success... I would say eat more and exercise less if it was me...
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Your body is holding onto everything it can cause u are putting yourself into starvation mode. U will not lose this way. If u have a HRM and are truly burning between 2500-3200 calories a day u should be eating a minimum of 2000 calories. U should never have a deficit of more than 1000 calories...that's a 2lb weight loss a week. U should really look at the forums for people who eat over 2000 calories. Wonderful information!!!
  • msbellzee
    msbellzee Posts: 69
    Options
    how do you know how many calories you are burning? if youre using mfp as your calorie counter then know that it freqyently overestimates calorie burns. three best way to know how many calories you're burning is to wear an hrm with chest strap.

Oh that's interesting, I had no idea the MFP thingie was inaccurate, that is where you put in your weight, height etc and it estimates how many calories a day your body is burning?

Does that mean the number of calories it estimates you can consume would also be incorrect?
  • KLavallee322
    KLavallee322 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was burning a lot of calories and was losing weight. But I found it really hard to eat back all my exercise calories and my net was barely at 1200 (if I was lucky). I was burning about 700-800 a day 4-5x a week. I continued with my same routine but cut it down to 3x a week, I noticed the weight falling off a little bit quicker because I wasn't always scrambling to try to meet my calorie goal. The days I don't exercise are the days I really focus on eating the right foods and staying at my calories is much much easier. I'm not an exercise fanatic, so I loved cutting back and still seeing results.
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Oh that's interesting, I had no idea the MFP thingie was inaccurate, that is where you put in your weight, height etc and it estimates how many calories a day your body is burning?

Does that mean the number of calories it estimates you can consume would also be incorrect?

MFP actually underestimated for me. It really depends on how hard you work and get your heart rate up.
  • shefury
    shefury Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I smell burnout. How is a person supposed to maintain a lifestyle like that....especially when you're not going to lose anything that way. No offense .... but you're totally martyring yourself and the cause isn't working.
  • FaithfulSmiles82
    Options
    What's your carb intake like?
  • FaithfulSmiles82
    Options
    One thing I noticed is that MFP give you more carb allowance than you should take in. you should try not to go over 80g of carbs daily. And until you're ready to build lean muscle and work on shaping your body stay under 80g of protein as well.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed is that MFP give you more carb allowance than you should take in. you should try not to go over 80g of carbs daily. And until you're ready to build lean muscle and work on shaping your body stay under 80g of protein as well.
    Where on EARTH do you get this "facts???":noway: :sad: :yawn:
  • sneckerdoodle
    sneckerdoodle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the advice, i have been doing p90x in the morning followed by extreme weight lifting on machine, and then
    a few miles on the treadmill in the evening. so i will slow it down to just p90x and treadmill and see if this helps. thank you to
    the helpful people and for those who think its cool to be rude instead of helpful, screw you i know what excercise i do everyday
    and i know its extreme, so thanks.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Where on EARTH do you get this "facts???":noway: :sad: :yawn:

Good Lord I wouldn't be able to function... lol and I have Type 2 diabetes.... My carb intake currently is 320 grams a day and I am about ready to up it again.... Good luck with that.... lol