Spinning

I am taking my first spinning class this Saturday. I am excited and nerves at the same time. Does anybody have any advise that would help this go well?

Replies

• Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 390 Member
    I take Spinning class everyday Sunday for 60 mins... I like it ... Its very intense ( you really feel it in your legs and butt, you will be sore the nxt day) but u get a gr8 workout!!! Make sure you bring a towel and lots of water .. Good luck on your first spin class
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    make sure you have water. and don't try to out do yourself, but get in a good work out. you control the resistance on your bike. and nobody else knows how hard or light it is. also, have someone help you set up the bike right or you're going to be uncomfortable. usually if you tell the instructor, they will help you. and have fun! its a great class that flies by if you have a good instructor.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Spinning is incredible! Yes, bring a towel and water. In the classes I took, we spent most of our time standing. If you feel you can't keep up, sit down and/or slow down to catch your breath, but don't stop.

Also, spinning bikes are not like other bikes: the peddles are connected to a fly wheel, and they will continue to spin as long as the fly wheel is spinning. Most beginners panic when they try to stop and the peddles keep spinning - so you see them pull their feet out. It's not safe.

You'll get a great workout! Enjoy it!
  • jen1127
    jen1127 Posts: 19
    I LOVE my spin class--look forward to it every week. That being said, I hated it the first few times. I wanted to quit so bad because my legs were on fire! But I kept going and it's almost addicting. Stretch out really well (like 10 minutes of stretching) before, especially your quads and hamstrings. Don't forget your water bottle--you'll need it! Lots of good stretching after and throughout the night. Wear bike shorts, with padding, if you have them, my butt seemed to hurt the worst after. Good luck!! You're going to love it!!
  • jen1127
    jen1127 Posts: 19
    make sure you have water. and don't try to out do yourself, but get in a good work out. you control the resistance on your bike. and nobody else knows how hard or light it is. also, have someone help you set up the bike right or you're going to be uncomfortable. usually if you tell the instructor, they will help you. and have fun! its a great class that flies by if you have a good instructor.

^^ditto. Have the instructor set up your bike. Made a huge difference of where I thought it should be and the correct position of the bike.
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    I am a feind for spin class! What everyone else said and it does take up to 4 classes to get used to the saddle(bike seat) so don't be alarmed if your suuper sore down there lol ... So long as your bike is set up properly you will minimize that. And lots of water and towel and bandanna lol whatever you need to keep the sweat out of your eyes cause it will pour! Good luck so happy that another person is trying it out!
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    The main thing is get there a bit early so the instructor can set up your bike. Also, tell them that it's your first time so they can either keep an eye on you or at the very least know that someone there may not know what "a standing climb" etc is. But getting the bike set up properly is VITALLY important.

You may also want to get a bike nearer the back. That way, if you get pooped and want to take a break, you won't feel as if everyone is looking at you. Not that most people care, of course, they're in their own world of pain by then!