Elliptical Workout

Options
Quick question: I work out on a True Elliptical Crosstrainer, usually on level 15 for an hour. Why does mfp say I burn 500 calories in an hour but the Elliptical says I burn over 1,000?

Replies

• wo1wendy
    wo1wendy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting myself a Heart rate Monitor and use that for all my calorie count. I think a true calorie count depends on so much like weight and intensity. On a training session with myself and a trainer I was using the treadmill and elliptical for maybe 45 minutes and it was about 350-400(I can't remember the exact) but my intensity was sporatic. At level 15 for an hour (first off- very good job) I can't imagine it only being 500. A HRM really makes you keep your eye on your workouts.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    i actually take what my elliptical says for my cal. burn. i have plugged in my weight and it tracks my time, pace, heart rate and distance. If i put into the mfp it says more.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    MFP is usually pretty accurate, but I agree with the others, you cant get more accurate than wearing a heart rate monitor. I usually do that at least the first few times I try a new workout, then I have a baseline for what the machine says compared to what is "the truth"
  • KLavallee322
    KLavallee322 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That sounds really low. My elliptical goes up to Lev 10 and when I do Lev 5/6 intervals for 45min it says I burn about 750-800 cals. I have heard that ellipticals over estimate calorie burn by up to 20% sometimes. I go to a website called fitwatch.com and type in my weight/age/intensity and it usually tells me I'm burning about 80-100 calories fewer than my elliptical is telling me. I don't know how accurate that website is, but I am totally winded and sweaty when I get off my elliptical so it sounds about right I guess. I really need to invest in a HRM so I know for sure.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    does the elliptical take into account your weight? i do resistance around 12 and average 10-12 calories per minute at that level. I don't think it's unreasonable to say 15 calories per minute at the higher resistance (especially if you're moving faster!) MFP says lower for me as well but not as drastically.. it's usually 50 calories or so lower. I go with what the elliptical says because it takes into account my age, weight and resistance but I'm in maintenance mode now. When I was trying to lose, I usually went with the lower numbers for my exercise and higher for my food. It worked :-) Good luck and keep up the great pace!
  • delia030882
    Options
    I also go by the calorie count on my ellipical I just got mine 2 weeks ago and i only do about 30-40 minute workout and count my calories on here i stay right at 1500 but they give me 1600 then it goes way up when i put in my ellpical time. I am very happy that in 2 weeks i have lost 9lbs in the last month 17lbs. Add me if you would like I need more friends all the ones on my page stop using it.
  • carmellaparker
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    mfp doesn't account for the intensity settings on the elliptical, like crossramp and resistance. so go by what the machine says, or get a HRM like other posters have suggested! :smile:
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I bought a Heart Rate Monitor watch with a chest strap and on the elliptical I burn 500-600 in 30 minutes. The watch is fantastic I would recommend a HRM for sure.