About to give up... help!!!

Options
I am super frustrated! One entire month of eating less than 1600 calories per day, working out six days a week and I have lost ONE pound! I am about to eat an entire pizza and drink a six pack, I am so depressed.

It is not muscle gain either, my pants that I was able to wear six months ago, still do not fit me. This all started six months ago; I went from being able to eat whatever I wanted and having my weight fluctuate between 110 to 115, which was fine by me, to gaining ten pounds! Six months ago, I started gaining weight. I am the heaviest I have ever been. Sitting on 121 pounds right now. I feel "big", my clothes do not fit and I have muffin top and saddle bags. What in the world is going on?????

Replies

• m0nster2
    m0nster2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Can't explain it either - except the theory of little to lose. I'm in the same place - I gained about 13 pounds over the last year and a half. I lost the first 4 really fast - and now I'm in a lose 2/ gain 2 scenario. For almost 2 months. So really, I haven't lost anything in the last two months. I am running 5 days a week and a 40 minute walk (5% incline) the 6th day. I take Sunday off from exercising. I've found that the 1400-1600 calorie weeks are the weeks where I gain the 2; the weeks where I eat 1000-1200 are the weeks I lose the two. But that amount of calories at my exercise level is unsustainable.

I have two ideas - the first is protein. This week I'm aiming for 25%. Second idea is to up the calories. I'll try that next week since I'm on vacation and will probably struggle with eating right.

Like you, I don't buy the muscle weight theory. I know what my measurements are at 121 and I know what they are at 129... and muscle may weigh more but my waist is sure smaller at 121 than at 129!

I know it's frustrating but don't give up. 3500 calories a week less may be 1 pound a week but I think it's the rare person who consistently loses a pound a week like that. I think most of us may lose 2, gain 2, stay the same, lose 4... I'm hoping you and I get a lose 4 week... :)
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    I know your eating less calories, but what types of food are you eating? The quality of food matters just as much as the quantity. Good luck!!
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Obviously you know to check with a physician to see if there is a thyroid issue or something like that. Your diary is not public so we can't see what kind of foods you are eating and offer help. It may simply be that 38 is the magical age for you, when your body begins to think about changing. If your workouts do not include weight lifting, then they should! It will do amazing things for your metabolism, your bones, and your size! Muscle doesn't actually weigh more--1 lb is always 1 lb--but a pound of muscle is more compact than a pound of fat, so it could happen that you start shrinking in size without losing any weight on the scale. And you have to lift weights that challenge you--forget the Barbie weights and really work your muscles! If you're not a sweaty pile at the end of your workout, you've missed an opportunity.
  • Miss_Stefanie
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback; I drank a glass of wine and feel a bit better... I am a light weight, so one glass of wine is tipsy for me. :)

I have a hard time getting all the protein I need in a day; I used to be a vegetarian, and can't bring myself to eat a lot of meat. Any suggestions on how to increase protein in my diet without adding a lot of calories or eating meat?
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Regarding protein, i like to make chickpea salads and such. I usually make chickpeas with cubed apple, carrot and sliced celery. I basically make a vinigarette for it, and add some spices as well such as cumin. So yummy. And what about tofu? If nothing sounds appealing, i would strongly suggest you get a protein supplement. Protein shakes, protein powders (certain one can be mixed in with your smoothies!!!!)etc. Hope this helped at least a bit! Good luck <3
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Couple of things.... on protein, Try a protein shake or drink. that will help... Also try to cut back on sugar/carbs late in the evenings... In Fact, if you try to limit your carbs to 125-150g and sugar to 50-75g a day you will see it will be easier to maintain consistent progress. It has for me!

Hope that helps,
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your height and build is, but 121lbs is very slim for most people, maybe you're at your body's perfect weight. Try adding some resistance training to your routine, ideally heavy weights and low reps. You may not lose pounds, but you'll lose inches and fit in those trousers!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You do not have alot of weight to lose. It is really hard to shift the weight when you deal with the last 10 pounds.
  • kazj17
    kazj17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am very similar, have always been around 112-115lbs but over the last year or so it has gradually crept up to around 130-132.
    Friends think I'm mad trying to lose weight but it's all relative to the individual & how you feel in yourself. I am only 5ft 2" and quite a small build so any extra weight is noticeable immediately. I want to get back to around 115 but it does take longer the less you have to lose. I did great in the first week but it has slowed slightly now, am eating a lot more healthily though & trying to fit a bit of excercise in too. Feel free to add me!