What changes have you made to your grocery shopping habits?

Options
I have tried to make subtle changes because I know that I will end up quitting if I go too extreme too fast.

So, I decided I would just try to gradually incorporate small changes into my shopping trips. These are more like psychological *tricks* to me, rather than actual dietary changes.

For instance, I have started buying small bananas instead of the biggest ones I could find. Same goes for eggs, or anything that I can pick out the smallest of.

I buy half-gallons of milk now, instead of gallons. I figure having less to begin with will make me ration it more, thereby drinking less automatically.

I'll buy the grapefruit sections in a jar, or the apples already sliced, etc.. I used to buy the whole fruit but then I wouldn't eat it and it would get thrown out. It's more expensive this way, but not as expensive as having the whole grapefruit rot in the fridge, right! :)

I'll buy the bagged salad mixes and the already-chopped onion/pepper/whatever....anything I can get where the work has already been done for me, so that I'm less likely to put off using it til it rots.

I can't "do" fat-free. I know if I buy a container of fat-free ANYTHING it will sit there until I throw it away. So, I buy "Lite" now, and just try to be careful about how much I use.

I bought some "Butter Buds" (I think that's the name...?)... haven't tried them yet, but hopefully it will make a decent substitution for butter/margarine.

I broke down and started drinking Crystal Light. I don't like the chemicals in it but I figure it's no worse than having been 100 pounds overweight for the last 20 years, and possibly the next 20!

OK, so those last 3 were actually *dietary* changes, but whatever :)

Also, I try to go shopping late at night, after the deli is closed!

These are just some things off the top of my head. I'm hoping the little changes will add up to big changes (in me!) Of course, I've also started an exercise routine but that's another thread :)

So what other little changes did you guys find yourself making in your food choices when you shop?

Replies

• Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    try to stick to the outside walls of the store! Fresh everything! only minimum in the middle where the packaged products are!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I do most of my shopping from the outer perimeter of the grocery store: veggies, some fruit, meat, dairy. There are some exceptions to this: frozen veggies and raspberries, canned coconut milk, oils (olive and coconut) and vinegars and a few condiments when I need them. Occasionally I'll get my husband some cereal too :)
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    My big change was I read the labels for calories and nutrition. The cell phone app lets me get data on things like meats that aren't labeled. As I do this more, I hope I'll learn enough so I don't have to read every time.
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    one of my changes is that I take my time in the grocery store and read labels. I also buy one new item a week to try. This week it was Kale.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I mostly shop the perimater of the store as well. I only go "inside" for canned tomatoes, tuna etc. I really read labels. I avoid anything labelled "healthy" "low fat" etc... I also now do most of my shopping at the farmers market when it's in season and/or the produce store, and I have an amazing butcher with grass fed meat. I buy fruit and veggie in season and freeze it. I eat blueberries everyday and am lucky to live near some amazing "no spray" farms so when season comes I buy up about 100lbs and freeze them.
  • KLavallee322
    KLavallee322 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    More Veggies that I have ever purchased in my life, no sodas, and no going down the cookie isle anymore and grabbing a package. I also stopped buying cakes & brownies to bake at home. If they are sitting on my counter, I will take a piece each time I walk by it.
  • oma5
    oma5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I usually go with a shopping list, and mainly shop the perimeter or the stores as well. I have 5 days worth of meal plans, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. The other two days are left overs or other plans. I have more veggies and protein and cutting back on starches and processed food.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    try to stick to the outside walls of the store! Fresh everything! only minimum in the middle where the packaged products are!

I came in here to say this exact same thing.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've changed EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!! I mostly buy fruit and veggies now, I buy protein bars for snacks instead of cookies. Any canned goods are veggies and beans, whole grains are always a staple (instead of something I heard of once) I limit the amount of boxed snacks we buy (but the kids do like to have some treats for school) tofu is something I now buy and look forward to instead of sneering at and almond milk is loaded into my cart by the gallons!!!!

I shop with a list and a meal plan and buy according to what I plan on making for the week and if there is left over money then we can buy special items.

I made a 100% turn around in how I eat.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options

That is what we have learned to do. I sometimes will wander down the center aisles but am careful on what we buy. Trying to not deny myself everything - it has not worked in the past!
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    These are all great!

I can totally relate to shopping the perimeter. I swear, I have to literally hide my eyes as I walk past certain aisles (like cereal or rice or bread....carbs get me every time). I'm not doing "low-carb", per se, but I did have to cut out bread products. No more bread, bagels, rolls, etc. Which, coincidentally, means no more peanut butter, cream cheese or butter, LOL. And that's a good thing.

A shopping list is good, too. If I go in without any real plan, I am screwed, LOL. Make a list and stick to it!

Plus, I'd always heard "Don't go shopping when you're hungry" and I'd never really paid any attention to it. Well, I can now say, it definitely helps. When I go shopping when I'm starving, I think I go temporarily insane. I buy crap that I'd never ordinarily buy. And then I eat it because I don't want to waste it.
  • bluecal822
    bluecal822 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I make a grocery list and STICK TO IT
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Leave my husband home while I grocery shop.... the poor guy cant figure out half the stuff I put on a grocery list... lol!!!!
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My shopping cart has gone from something I was embarrassed about to something I'm proud of...is that weird?! :laugh: I have a very small grocery budget, between $50-75 a week for a family of 4, so I have to be frugal and plan. I use to think that meant "unhealthy" but it doesn't! I've made a commitment to having more fruits and veggies than anything else in the house. I read labels. I try to try a new food every week, or at least research something new I see in the store. My shopping trips are quick and easy now, not so daunting and time-consuming.
  • tannerk8
    tannerk8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too am doing small changes at a time. I changed out flavored coffee creamer for no-sugar vanilla almond milk.
    I also changed to greek yogurt. I buy the frozen bags of fuit- mixed berry, strawberry and peaches- and will thaw and blend what I need and add them to the yogurt. That way I can change the yogurt flavor by day, so i don't get bored-- OR I add a little granola to it.
    SO these are more diet changes, then grocery changes, nut-- it's working for me!
  • icewindfirex
    Options
    My major change has been spending more time in the produce section than the frozen ;)

All of my previous favorites were in the frozen - waffles, frozen meals, ice cream, pies, etc.

Now I spend most of my time (and money!) on the fresh veggies and fruit!
  • divamimi09
    divamimi09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Me too...try to stick with fresh fruits and veggies and healthy meat selections (I dont like fish). I buy vitamin water (gave up soda 1 year ago)....and things like pomegranate juice or diet cranberry juice. I also like cheese, so despite it's fat content, I try to "treat" myself with a good wedge of blue cheese or hard cheese from the specialty cheese section. Anything in a box or "white" i clearly stay away from. Even my husband is joining in this journey.

Good Luck!!! :)

PS: I also try to go to the supermarket at nite or early sunday morning (after breakfast)!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My cart is usually full of veggies and fruits before i ever leave the produce department :) I avoid the chip/cookie/soda isle like the plague :)
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Stay on the outside isles,..fruit, veggies, meat, fish , dairy & Im done.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :smile: Not much just smaller amouts ....:flowerforyou: