Moms-daycare at the gym?

Options
My three year old hates the daycare at our gym with a passion. I attempted to let her sit in on my Zumba class and that was a total disaster. Any suggestions on how to keep her happy at the day care and want to go??

Replies

• Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I go to the ymca. They have a schedule printed with all the kids' things and the times; I try to avoid "movie" time because she likes to play and do crafts. So maybe if the place where your little one goes has a schedule they try to sick to, if you can, try to go when they'll be doing things that she enjoys. Are you a sahm? if so, maybe she is just having a hard time getting used to not being with you? I don't want to worry you, but if she did fine with child care at other plubic places, but couldn't stand it at a certain place I'd be kinda worry as to why. Good luck! :)
  • Brandie6004
    Options
    I forgot to add, maybe if you went w another "mommy" friend you could tell her it was a playdate and you guys could go to the park for snacks for lunch afterwards. Then she'll be excited to have a friend w her.
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    We go to the YMCA too but it doesnt sound nearly as good as yurs. I haven't heard of craft or movie time!! And I do work but my mom watches her during the day so she really hasn't been to a public daycare. She is even like that when her siblings are along so I'm not sure what the deal is!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    See if a friend or family member would be willing to do some type of a trade on the days you go to the gym.
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    It's just the age. My oldest was like that until she was 5 and she did go to daycare! My 2 year old will go anywhere though! I use to go to the gym at 5am and leave the kids at home. Sorry I don't have better advice.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    We go to the Y too... I couldn't live without it! (Neither would my kids!!) But it took my daughter a long time to get used to it, like 2 months! I had to keep going back in when they came to get me 'cause she was crying. I brought treats and stuff she loved and slowly she learned to love it. I got the caretakers to ask her to help out with the little ones and she loved being a 'big girl helper'!!

They had this stuffed kitty there that she would not let go of, I actually found one at Toys R Us and I bought it so she could bring it back and forth each time.... Anyway, fast forward 3 years (she's 4 and a half!), she loves the gym!! It took time, but when I look back, it's been soooo worth it. Try to be patient, some days I had to sit there the whole two hours! Sometimes, on the weekends, my husband would sit with her... we left earlier and earlier each time, 'til she just ran off without looking back!!! :sad: :happy:
  • roachtg
    roachtg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Is this a new thing or have you been going for a while and she still hates it? I know when I first started going my son cried everyday for close to 2 weeks then he got used to it and now he loves it. But it was horrible at first, if the child would cry for 20 minutes then they would come get you, so I had to leave after just getting started. We go to the YMCA also, at ours they have different play areas set up and the people in child watch do crafts, puzzles and color with them. The ladies in our child watch are really good, they told me it would get better and they really try to distract the kids if they are crying.
    How old is she? If she is old enough to do some puzzles or crafts or if you see something in there she might really like ask them to do that with her when you drop her off. Hopefully it will get better soon.
  • Brandie6004
    Options
    maybe she's just really super shy?

I live in tx, outside of houston. our y's child watch has a schedule printed up and they move to a new activity about every hour and it has things like interactive play, story time, arts and crafts, center time, games and few more things. Of course these things will repeat through the day. my favorite thing is the "kids fitness class" on mon, wed, and fridays. One week they'll do TaeKwonDol, kids zumba or yoga. I caught the end of kids zumba one day. omg, so cute! and they keep the kids split up, infints- 2, 2-3, 3-5 and 6-11. if your y doesn't have anything like that, then try talking to them and see what they can do.