Weight lifting.... Where to even START??

Options
2»

Replies

• edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Thanks for info so far, obviously I'm a guy looking to start lifting. Now that I'm closer to my ideal body weight, I'd really like to make the most of the days I do lift. Because at the moment it's mostly circuit training with various weights. I get a good solid "pump" in my biceps/triceps but I really need something to target my core, back and chest. I feel as though I get a good enough work out via the treadmill/bicycle for my legs on cardio days.

If anyone has any good lifting stuff that can be found on youtube or routines that you swear by, feel free to shoot me a message with links. Thanks
  • mtcHavingItAll
    mtcHavingItAll Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I started with P90X lol. It's not as "intense" as many have said it is....wait...I'm not saying this right....it IS intense, but you lift weights that are appropriate for YOU and listen to your body and take breaks when you need them and all is well :).

We don't have gym in the small town where I live, the closest one is over an hours drive, so with two kids and no gym P90X was the perfect option :).

After P90X I'm going to try NROLFW. I bought the book about two weeks ago, read it that day, and am super excited to do it!

Good luck to you!
  • krd5054
    krd5054 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    BOOK - The New Rules of Lifting for Women (Lift like a man, look like a goddess)

I got this today. I've only read the intro so far, but I would already recommend it! :-)

A lot of people on here use it and recommend it.

Ditto
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I actually paid $25 bucks to work with a trainer and get a routine. She showed me the correct form and started me on the weight I needed to start at, which wasn't much. For me, my goal is to get stronger so I can improve my cardio workouts. That means lower weights and more repetitions. It does depend on what you want to get out of the strength training, so my suggestion is to cough up the cash and work with someone. Then read books and tweak your routine for you.

I would really recommend this as a first step. If you don't use proper form, at least you can be ineffective, at worst you can injure yourself. Weight lifting can be a lot of fun once you get over the intimidation!
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the other side and I can tell you without reservation most of us will not only not give you dirty looks but would be happy to give you pointers and help out if you any questions.

Don't be scarred, come join us :)

Totally made me smile! Thanks!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I started with P90X lol. It's not as "intense" as many have said it is....wait...I'm not saying this right....it IS intense, but you lift weights that are appropriate for YOU and listen to your body and take breaks when you need them and all is well :).

We don't have gym in the small town where I live, the closest one is over an hours drive, so with two kids and no gym P90X was the perfect option :).

After P90X I'm going to try NROLFW. I bought the book about two weeks ago, read it that day, and am super excited to do it!

Good luck to you!
    I finished P90x and am currently in Stage 1 of NROLFW. What I particularly like about NR, is that the exercises are Compound lifts, rather than Isolation. In P90X, I spent lots of time doing variations on bicep curls, tricep extensions, etc. Now, I can do FEWER exercises and work MORE muscles. Love it!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    BOOK - The New Rules of Lifting for Women (Lift like a man, look like a goddess)

I got this today. I've only read the intro so far, but I would already recommend it! :-)

A lot of people on here use it and recommend it.

Same here...I just got mine yesterday too (Tuesday) & I love it...I don't go to a gym though so I have to make some adjustments but I can't wait to start....You should read it!! Best of luck to you!! :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My fiancee started lifting with me 7 weeks ago and she has made some big improvements. She was already in great shape but now she is getting strong. This week we started doing stronglifts 5X5. Great program that is easy for beginners and experienced lifters.

Nothing more attractive then a woman doing deep squats and deadlifts!
  • Babs0077
    Babs0077 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You guys are AMAZING!!! Of course, I expected nothing less!!
    Thanks for all the great advice.... I really, really do appreciate it!!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the "other siders" as well and you don't need to be intimidated. Yes some of the people over there look menacing but they are always willing to answer questions and help you out. All you need to do is ask. :)
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I am starting with Chalean Extreme at home, to help me build up some sort of strength before facing the scary boyz section at the gym and start Stronglifts (free with free iphone app! Woot). At the moment I'm not sure i could lift an empty barbell...so wanted to build myself up a bit first.
  • spiccone
    spiccone Posts: 2
    Options
    This book is great.

Weight Training Made Easy: Transform Your Body in Four Simple Steps by Joyce Vedral. Check out the book on Amazon. There are even fabulous tear out cards in the back to take with you to the gym.

This is the book to get.