Would you give up your passwords to get a job?

Options
papa3x
papa3x Posts: 286
Seems like many companies are now asking for your passwords to Facebook, Twitter.... and even your EMAIL account if you want to have a shot at getting hired. I'm self employed so I don't have that worry, but I think if I needed a job I would still tell them to go to hell.... What's next? Will they ask for keys to your home? Some even make you friend the HR department.

BTW, many companies now hire a company to "stalk" your activity on the internet.... including Sears. Sears claims that it is a bonus for YOU, as they might find out that you are qualified for jobs that you didn't even know you were qualified for..... what a bunch of crap that is. You know they want to see if you're doing jello shots with your clothes off.

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Nope. If they want it they can figure it out. Same goes for if my boss asks to see my phone.

Oh and that's why I don't "like" very many companies. And even the ones I have, I'm about to "unlike" because they are spammy.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    BIG FAT NO!

Can I have their password to their FB? How about Bank Account info? SSN? Mother's maiden name?

What I do on my own time is MY own business!
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Seems like many companies are now asking for your passwords to Facebook, Twitter.... and even your EMAIL account if you want to have a shot at getting hired. I'm self employed so I don't have that worry, but I think if I needed a job I would still tell them to go to hell.... What's next? Will they ask for keys to your home? Some even make you friend the HR department.

BTW, many companies now hire a company to "stalk" your activity on the internet.... including Sears. Sears claims that it is a bonus for YOU, as they might find out that you are qualified for jobs that you didn't even know you were qualified for..... what a bunch of crap that is. You know they want to see if you're doing jello shots with your clothes off.
    I think it's terribly invasive. And there is no way in hell I'd EVER give anyone my passwords. You're supposed to be judged based on your skills, not your private life. References from past jobs are completely acceptable and should be enough.

I think there needs to be a new law to that effect. Just like you can't hire based on gender or race.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Nope I'm a big fan of keeping my personal life and business life separate. I don't think my personal life is my job's business. (If I had one)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I've been unemployed since December but I still woudn't give my passwords in order to get hired for a job. I have nothing to hide but my passwords are nobody's business. My son knows my passwords and he'd probably sell them for the right price though. :laugh:
  • heatherhecate
    Options
    I agree that it's invasive and everything, but thats why theres privacy settings. There's no way I would give an employer my passwords and I'm pretty sure it's not legal for them to turn you down for a job for saying no. But if you publicly post things on the internet then it's fair game and employers are smart to google prospective employees to check out what they're really like.

Which is also why my facebook is locked down tight in preparation for my job applications in the next few months
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I'd allow them to "friend" me so they could see what I was posting (not that I have anything to hide).
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    That just doesn't seem right at all. It's a complete invasion of privacy and stuff like that need to be completely seperate from work.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    WHAT? I have never heard of a job asking for facebook/twitter password. That's ludicrous! I would never consent to that.
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    WHAT? I have never heard of a job asking for facebook/twitter password. That's ludicrous! I would never consent to that.

Last year, to work for the city of Bozeman, Montana, you had to give them or you didn't get the job. They have since eased off some.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    It's not just an invasIon of privacy. It also poses a security risk. What's to stop them from using your password for nefarious purposes?
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER give up my passwords. I would friend the HR department, and if they want to look at what there is of mine on the internet, well, I guess they can. I tend to do more on twitter and that's public anyway, so let 'em look. I'm not going to let them in my accounts though. EVER. :noway:
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Not just NO but HELL NO!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I know many employers scan the internet and try to find you. But, simple Facebook security protects you from that. Other non-Facebook sites like Twitter don't have that. I would never ever provide my password under any conditions no matter what. If they wanna see, they can friend me. And I'd deny them. F*** them all. That's def crossing the line.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I have very little to hide (some underage drinking, but who doesn't do that), but I still wouldn't hand over my passwords. It's one thing if you want to LOOK at my social networking sites (and I don't agree with that either) but to have the audacity to ask for passwords??
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    If I did I wouldn't get the job.

Too much bad humor in me that could be taken the wrong way!! :devil:

Coming back to add...they are talking about this on my local news station right now...hmmm interesting.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. A company doesn't have the right to your personal information. It's amazing what is accessible online these days.

There are many industries that have systems that search for a company's name and will report all posts that refer to that specific company. This kind of thing is indeed fair game and has been the topic of many lawsuits. It's one thing to post something on your personal social networking site that only your friends can access. I will always advocate a person's right to post whatever they want on their own personal site.
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This story was reported this morning in an Australian newspaper

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/its-akin-to-requiring-someones-house-keys-employers-ask-job-seekers-for-facebook-passwords-20120321-1vioi.html

People will find a way to circumvent it...a real profile for friends and family under a nickname and a profile set up for this purpose, with their real name, they will say I have a profile it's is not an active profile as after initially joining FB I found it wasn't for me and I chose not to continue using FB.

My profile is very family friendly and G rated, but I wouldn't give anyone access to satisfy job application requirements, I see it as a massive invasion of privacy, it would be like looking at someone's mail, bank or credit card statements.

FB friends are restricted to family and close friends, I have worked at my current work for 8 years and none of my work friends or colleagues are facebook friends. That said, the majority of the time I use it are for family and friends who are not close by and who I do not have personal contact with. I use to spend more time on there playing bejewelled blitz, though not any more since their ridiculous update terms of use (that included allowing BB to post to my FB wall as me).

I am happy to submit to police checks for financial or those positions that involve children, other than that an employer or prospective employer only needs to know my education, skills and work history along with supporting documentation for verification if required.

I've always been a firm believer that if you have nothing to hide you've nothing to hide but will have to start putting a proviso on that now lol. Essentially just because a job applicant person chooses to be private about their personal life doesn't that they have anything damaging to hide, it just means they valuable their privacy.

As anyone read the book Blind Faith by Ben Elton? It's a satarical (and a bit bleak) look at the future, where nobody, absolutely nobody has privacy, every detail of a persons life is available via the internet, loss of virginity, child birth is filmed for all and sundry to look at, webcams in people's homes and bedrooms. The internet is deemed to be God.

I wonder if that time is closer than we think.
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Imho that is not even a question. Totally not. Not only because it is a violation of privacy but also it is against the Rules of Facebook. And i'd be damned to break rules of them just to get to work for someone who wants to snoop into my account and would be able to change everything or delete stuff.

"You will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
    You will not transfer your account (including any page or application you administer) to anyone without first getting our written permission."

Twitter is a little more loose in that regard, they only adivce to use a strong password so nobody can guess it and take over but do not mention handing it over. But still i would not do that.

If they want to know what i Tweet or post on FB they can feel free to friend me but no way in hell I'd give anyone any of my passwords.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    You know they want to see if you're doing jello shots with your clothes off.

^ Unsanitary. I would recommend wearing at least a hairnet! :laugh: :huh: