5K Start time??

Options
A girl from work wants me to do a 5k with her, so I figured why not. Sign me up for May. Well, I pushed myself (VERY HARD) today at the gym and timed my first 3.1 miles only to find out it took me 51:29. Mostly walking with some jogging mixed in. Is this normal?? What was your start time?
I'm wondering what I should set my goal for in May then..
How should I train for this? Should I do a 5k every day, every week? Do a mile every day and work on times with that? What's the best training time frames? (I don't like C25k... IDK why. LOL)
I feel like that time frame is so weak, and I'm so far off of this 5K race...

Replies

• sweetlola13
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

try the couch to 5k program at coolrunning.com, it's all worked out for beginners. :)
  • RumRum85
    RumRum85 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi, that is a good time for 5km walking at normal speed (6km/h). I've just looked the page that commented sweetlola13 the plan seems to be great to start, you may be finish it running 5km in about 40 mins!

My start time (5k walking) was 55min currently I'm running 5km in 40min and working to reduce my time to 30min, I think is a good time (I don't have intentions of winning a race)

Remember to use comfortable shoes, drink water and stretch before and after the excercise! And tell us about your progress!!
  • michelledusik
    michelledusik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That is not a bad starting time. Try walking 3-4 times/week at least 3.5 to 4miles. Each time you do it, you will get a little quicker. If you get your body used to a little more than the 3.1miles, then when you hit the finish line at your 5K, you and your body will be pleasantly surprised that you finished feeling so great!!
    Also, it's perfectly fine if you are not able to run the entire race by May. However, you should be able to keep a steady run/walk pace.
    Good luck! You'll do great!!!
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    I just recorded a 6k walk which probably took me just a little over the 1hr mark. Make sure you try to slowly get up to the distance a little bit at a time and in no time you'll be able to walk the 5k no sweat ;)
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've been doing C25K, I'm aiming for 45 mins for my first 5k! I'm working on my stamina at the moment - most I've ever jogged in one go so far is 9 minutes. once I have stamina and can keep going at a jog pace for at least 30 mins, then I will start working on speed.

My best advice, as someone who started trying to run last year and gave up, is to go at a pace that feels comfortable for you, otherwise you may give up too. I was trying to chase faster times last time round, this time I am just following my own goals and progressing much better
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    You could try the very well proven Galloway system, leaving for work so I can't search for a link. It's a combo run/walk that some people find appealing. Galloway's training programs are tried and true run/walk all the way to advanced marathon. Some very fast times have been recorded using this system. Side note, 5k's are fun runs so you should make it that. Enjoy the companionship and post a time, no matter what it is. Then improve upon that time as you progress and run more races. You should have a great time. Best of luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi, doing 5K is a wonderful achievement, and that's a perfectly acceptable first time. You've also got loads of time to get faster before your race!

Here's the Galloway system the previous poster mentioned:
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

Read in conjunction with his recommended walk break intervals:
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

A great goal would be to run all the way, just find the pace you find comfortable doing it. It doesn't have to be much faster than a walk, so long as you're not breathing too hard.

Here are my beginner's running tips, some of these might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck, and be sure to come back and let us know how you get on!
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You don't like the Couch to 5K but it works!! I went from a non-runner last May and now I run 4X week - logging anywhere between 3 & 5 miles with each run. I completed my first 5K in 29:46 and have done 3 more since then. I'm gearing up for my first 10K in May and a 1/2 marathon (EEK!) in October. The C25K does work if you follow the program. Give it a try but whatever you do, don't give up!! Your speed will come eventually. You're doing great by setting goals! Good Luck on your 5K!
  • xxXcaraXxx
    xxXcaraXxx Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just done an walk 3.72 miles and took me 1 hour 28 was up and down hills but omg now I realised jow unfit I am :(
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why don't you like c25k? It's a great program to start running, and better than no plan. Make sure the race doesn't have a time limit and accepts walkers (most do). I'd say an average 5k time for women is around 30 min.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What are your friend's expectations? Does she run the whole thing and does she expect you to do the same? Or does she walk some or most of it? Is it just to have fun and chat the whole way? Maybe a color run (lots of fun!)? Any of these are okay, but could some of your anxiety be because of the unknown? I could be over-reaching here...:tongue:

My first 5K last year took almost an hour. My second took less than 45 minutes. My last one was a PR of 37:01. Among lots of runners, I'm pretty darn slow, but I don't care because I'm improving each time.

I didn't do a training program, had never heard of C25K before I started. I just ran when I could, walked till I got my breath back, rinse, lather, repeat until I can do up to 8 miles now. Just takes a little bit of time and dedication!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Don't run on a treadmill its so hard to get past the mental block of how long you can run. I can run nearly 4k outside, I struggle to run 1k on the treadmill. Changing surroundings and distance goals you will surprise yourself. If I was to compete at 5k I would expect to get it in 30 minutes and thats what I would try for but If I ran on a treadmill that would never happen.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Don't run on a treadmill its so hard to get past the mental block of how long you can run. I can run nearly 4k outside, I struggle to run 1k on the treadmill. Changing surroundings and distance goals you will surprise yourself. If I was to compete at 5k I would expect to get it in 30 minutes and thats what I would try for but If I ran on a treadmill that would never happen.

This is funny but I'm the exact opposite. I do better on the treadmill because it allows me greater consistency and pacing, and I watch action movies which grab my attention. I can get faster times at actual races because of the whole 'race' atmosphere, but can clock longer runs on the treadmill. Having said that, its harder to run outside (for me), and I need to get my butt outside for training runs more often!:ohwell:
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Run, Zombies has a fun C25K program that might be more appealing than the usual one. all 5k training involves run/walk intervals whether it's got the C25K named slapped on it or not.
    I prefer running outside as opposed to treadmill running, personally. there is much, much more to keep the brain busy.