ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUM-BA!!!

2»

Replies

• They have DVDs you can do a home. You can order them on Amazon.com. I do not have a membership so I got the dvds so much FUN!!
  • Zumba is great---and don't think it's just for younger people. I take a class with a woman who's 80, another who's close to 70, and I'm 58. We do better than a lot of people in the class!:happy: :happy:
  • Rebelee
    Rebelee Posts: 1
    I've started going to zumba and really like it. They had a zumbathon at our Y tonight. So, how do you count it as far as exercise goes? I've been logging it as aerobic dancing?

Reb
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my ZUMBA class. My instructor is AMAZING. Never tried the videos, might have to since class is only once a week.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Well, prior to this evening, I had never heard of Zumba before reading your posts. After a bit of web research, I actually signed up for a class on Monday evening. I am REALLY hoping I LOVE it, and it helps me break out of my current exercise rut (translation: lack of exercise). Thanks for the posts!
  • teresa011
    teresa011 Posts: 101 Member
    Hello all Zumba lovers......I joined a gym in my area specifically because they had Zumba classes and I wanted to try it....Well after the first class I was hooked.....my gym offers 6 classes a week, and I try to make everyone I can..........The instructors are great and the one, Brian, is sooooooooooo much fun. You sweat like hell, have a great time, and even learn some dance moves.......haha I love to dance and i'm always the one in the car you see bopping to the music......I loved it so much I bought the DVD's for home on the days I can't make it to the gym.......I give Zumba credit for my 20 lb loss so far. Its the one exercise if thats what you want to call it, that I actually ENJOY doing.......so much so that after I lose a bit more weight, i'm going to take the instructor course....Keep up the great work!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Hello Zumba Lovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: I am a Zumba Instructor in San Antonio, TX. I love love love teaching Zumba. I teach 4 classes a week. As most of you have mentioned it is a great form of exercise and since it is so much fun you dont really feel like you are exercising. But dont let that fool you, you are getting a great workout and burn a lot of calories. Not everyone burns 800 calories, that all depends on your fitness level, intensity, etc. I usually wear my heart rate monitor and when I remember to turn it on I burn anywhere from 400 to 500 calories, more sometimes. Some classes are taught at gyms or community centers that do not require a membership to take the Zumba class, you just pay a drop in fee. You can go to www.zumba.com to find a class nearest you and you may contact the instructor directly with your questions/concerns. About the age range of participants, I have students from their early 20's to into the 70's. We all have a great time, smile and laugh a lot!!! Zumba Hugs!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    We have a great fitness center that just opened last year, I am dying to join but not an option right now.
    But, just before it opened last year I went to my first class. Now, let me just say I have zero dance skills and the only class type exercise I am familialr with was areobics with an accredited (16 years) fitness intructor that was fantastic. Loved that woman.

I tried Zumba once, and I am going to give it the benifit of the doubt and say I had a terrible instructor. This was when Zumba was very new to this area, we were just starting to hear about it and this was the only class in town BUT the instructor was awful. In fact she was working the desk the week before when I signed up ?? So who knows.
    This was my first class had NO IDEA of any of the steps or moves or even what they were called. I guess I was expecting more instruction, calling out of moves or maybe show us the move before we started then lets go. Half the class were going the wrong way, which meant we were bumping into each other. She had about 20 of us in a tiny little room so small that even if I did know what to do I could not have gotten a full extension of my arms without giving someone a black eye. I was missing so much that I didnt even get flushed let alone sweat. My heart rate was not even elevated a bit. Not a fun time at all.

I would like to know if in the beginner class, do your instructors show you what the move looks like or tell you anything before the music starts? Is this something I should expect or not? Ours just turned on the music and let it rip. The only ones who knew anything were the ladies who had been there before.
    Since they have had a year and a half to train and hire more qualified instructors and everyone here loves it, I would consider trying it again as a walk in
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Hi Zumba Lovers, Me Too, only herd of Zumba on this site and looked into it, found a great class and now addicted !!!! Brilliant fun and it goes soooo fast. Love it, Love it, Love it.....
  • luvslife2
    luvslife2 Posts: 15
    Hi there,
    If you go to Zumbafitness dot com you will find their DVD and maybe a class near you! I just starting going 3 times a week and the class I go to here in Ontario isn't part of a gym...so there's hope!
  • alf1163
    jbuffan, I am sorry you did not have a good first experience at your zumba class. A "bad" instructor can really ruin the experience for the new students. When we get licensed to teach, we are taught to use hand signals and not so much verbal instruction so students are able to "feel" the music. I am old school aerobics instructor so I use both and signal the next move before it happens, of course. When I introduce a new move that I think might be hard for some students I try to break it down some before I start the class but I usually just teach it while doing the class. I also show modifications, high and low and with less hip movements so new students can feel more comfortable. As far as beginner classes, there is a class called Zumba Gold, this is geared towards the older students or students who have not been working out for a while or just starting an exercise program. It is supposed to be slower than the regular Zumba class and the instructors usually take more time to teach moves etc. I am not licensed to teach that one but as I mentioned earlier I do teach modifications to accomodate all my students in my class. I have students of all ages and different fitness levels. I can safely say that at least 90% of all my students are satisfied with my classes. I know I cannot please everyone and I know that Zumba is not for everyone, so when a student does not come back I do not take it personal. I would suggest to give it another try with another instructor. Good luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • packerena
    packerena Posts: 26
    Hey Zumba lovers!
    I'm an instructor looking for inspiration: What are your favorite Zumba songs and/or dances? Any warm up or cool down song suggestions? Thanks in advance for any & all replies.

Zumba hugs,
    Renee
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    I go to Zumba class 3x a week and come out 500-550cal lighter and feeling absolutely smiley--it's amazing how good exercise can make you feel when you have fun doing it!
    Hey Zumba lovers!
    I'm an instructor looking for inspiration: What are your favorite Zumba songs and/or dances? Any warm up or cool down song suggestions? Thanks in advance for any & all replies.

Zumba hugs,
    Renee

Anything with the reggaeton bounce in it is lots of fun :D
    Love the calypso, too.
  • maestrachistosa
    I tried my first Zumba class tonight (after hearing about it here last week). It was a REALLY good workout and a lot of fun too! I used to do kickboxing, and I probably came out just as sweaty. I'm going to try to go at least twice a week for now. Thanks so much for the inspiring posts!!!
  • maestrachistosa
    Hi there, I went for the first time tonight, but since I listen to latin music, I was thrilled to hear some of my favorites!! Not sure when each one was played, but I'm sure you can figure it out depending on the speed etc. My favorites:

Suavemente - Elvis Crespo
    La gota fria - Carlos Vives
    La negra tomasa - (originally by Caifanes, but this version was a remake that was faster and more danceable)

oh...another great song that I used to hear in a salsa dancing glass - Que mala eres by Dark Latin Groove.

Hope that helps!

OK...after posting this I figured out that I meant to "quote" one of the other posts. Sorry for the double post!
  • maestrachistosa
    Hey Zumba lovers!

Zumba hugs,
    Renee

Hi there, I went for the first time tonight, but since I listen to latin music, I was thrilled to hear some of my favorites!! Not sure when each one was played, but I'm sure you can figure it out depending on the speed etc. My favorites:

Suavemente - Elvis Crespo
    La gota fria - Carlos Vives
    La negra tomasa - (originally by Caifanes, but this version was a remake that was faster and more danceable)

oh...another great song that I used to hear in a salsa dancing glass - Que mala eres by Dark Latin Groove.

Hope that helps!
  • packerena
    packerena Posts: 26
    somigliana: I'm glad to hear you like calypso & raggaeton because my classes seem a little hesitant about these rhythms - maybe it is because we are in Minnesota and it is unnatural to many of us. :)

maestrachistosa: I looked up the songs you suggested on YouTube and they are familiar to me as well. Great music. A lot of other good ideas popped up as suggestions along the YouTube side bar as well so I think I will get some good new songs for my classes. :)

Thank you for your suggestions! Please keep them coming! :)
  • eyh7611
    eyh7611 Posts: 3 Member
    I love zumba!! I do it 4 times a week. You can find zumba videos on youtube.com, just search zumba.
  • keiheath
    keiheath Posts: 2
    I have been doing Zumba since this past October, and I LOVE IT!!! I didnt know it burned so many calories though. When I plug it in under aerobic dance, its only like 300 calories. What are you logging it in as??? Thanks :wink:
  • alf1163
    keihath, I wear a heart rate monitor. Last night I finally remembered :laugh: to turn it on at the beginning of my class and check the numbers when I finished. I burned 485 calories in about 55 minutes!!! I am 5'5" about 130lbs and I consider myself fit for my age, 46yrs, so that gives you an idea...but not everyone burns the same amount.

packerena, for warm ups I use very upbeat songs in english but with a sorta latin beat for example whine up, please dont stop the music and Calabria...cool downs, bachata songs and I have used Bombon asesino, a slow cumbia. I also stretch at the end and have used estoy enamorado, and some instrumental guitar, piano songs...

ZUMBA HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.