smaller packaging = fewer calories = database slightly "off"

Options
I got to thinking tonight....

Anybody that does a lot of grocery shopping has probably become aware of the trend towards putting less food in a container but charging the same price. I guess manufacturers figured that would go over better than just raising prices? Anyway, I started wondering about those times when I add a food from the database to my diary, and for the amount eaten I pick the option of "container". I don't pay attention to see if the amount is EXACTLY the same, because typically, if the "container" option is available it's because the item only came in that size, so I assume it's correct.

But now I worry that there might be items in the database that were added long ago that might not be exactly accurate anymore.

I realize it's not a super-big deal, but I just thought I would mention it.

Any thoughts?

eta: Dang, I should have put a ? in the title....

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    the serving size would not change, just the amount of servings per container.
  • Tinysoon
    Tinysoon Posts: 8
    Options
    I am wondering about the accuracy of the database. I had 2 hot dogs yesterday. They were Ball Park Franks Beef and the package said 100 calories per serving. However, in the database the calorie count was double. I also found this on Bread. The package said one thing and the database said different. I was like okay....certainly I should believe the package right????
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I pick the option of "container". I don't pay attention to see if the amount is EXACTLY the same, because typically, if the "container" option is available it's because the item only came in that size, so I assume it's correct.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I always check, because even if the manufacturer has not changed the size of the container, someone might have entered it into the database incorrectly. Besides, many foods come in different sized containers.

You only have to look at the amount of meals with a value of "Sodium 0.5mg" to realise that there are a lot of people entering foods into the database who really would be better off leaving it to others...
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    unless you know the info is accurate check it, for items that I make myself I just create a recipe which no one can edit but there have been quite a few times that I have come across items in the database that are nowhere near correct, so unless its an item you use frequently check it for accuracy. There are also quite a few differences from items added from country to country, an item in canada can have a totally different nutrition profile from the same item in the US.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    There is an option to edit an entry in the database if it is incorrect. Pay attention to tweak as you need to.
    A digital kitchen scale is your best friend.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The database is a tool, like any other. It's your responsibility to verify the item you've added to your diary was entered correctly. Many of the items are user entered, and people make mistakes.
  • valpreston
    Options
    I am wondering about the accuracy of the database. I had 2 hot dogs yesterday. They were Ball Park Franks Beef and the package said 100 calories per serving. However, in the database the calorie count was double. I also found this on Bread. The package said one thing and the database said different. I was like okay....certainly I should believe the package right????
    I almost always check the package information to the database info, and if there is a discrepancy, I edit the information in the database.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Weigh. It's the only way to be accurate. Then input per gram (or ounce if you prefer), not using nebulous concepts like 'containers' (or indeed 'cups'... Really 'cups' are only accurate when measuring liquid and boobies.)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Weigh. It's the only way to be accurate. Then input per gram (or ounce if you prefer), not using nebulous concepts like 'containers' (or indeed 'cups'... Really 'cups' are only accurate when measuring liquid and boobies.)
    Well put! :bigsmile:

You can buy inexpensive flat digital scales, which you can put any container / plate on, and zero the scale before adding food. Then when you add each food, note the weight and zero it again before adding the next food.

For instance a "serving" of Philadelphia Chocolate is 30g, but this morning I put my plate of toast on the scale, zeroed it, added the spread and found I'd added only 21g.

There's no point in logging your calories if you're just guessing the amounts.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    typically, if the "container" option is available it's because the item only came in that size, so I assume it's correct.
    That's a strange assumption. Most products come in many different sized packages.