Bread Crumbs

Options
I have pretty much eliminated these from my cooking due to high fat content and low nutritional value.

Often instead I will "bread" pork chops n chicken in a bag of Dry Onion Soup Mix
or Grill Mates seasoning (very light or mouth will be on fire)

Why arent there any whole wheat bread crumbs? Would this be any better than regular bread crumbs?
I use 100% whole wheat bread made with WHEAT FLOUR (not enriched) rather than white although not really sure why the white bread is comparabale on calories and carbs.

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just make your own bread crumbs?

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf25700266.tip.html

You can control what you put in it, then!
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Panko makes a whole wheat breadcrumb. A tip on Hungry Girl led me to take fiber one cereal and use that to make baked "chicken tenders" after coating chicken with egg beater then the crushed up Fiber One cereal (original). For things like chicken, turkey or lean sirloin burgers or meat balls, I use Quaker Oats in place of breadcrumbs and you can't tell the difference, very filling too.:love:
  • BlossysMom
    BlossysMom Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try that. Btw I hate your name cuz it sounds like I am calling you a Porker. Not nice.:grumble:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try that. Btw I hate your name cuz it sounds like I am calling you a Porker. Not nice.:grumble:

:laugh: :laugh: yes, it's a pet name my bf and I use - long before I ever had a weight problem:tongue: He's porko4 on here, I'm girl pig and he's boy pig!! The 29 is not my age either but my fave nascar driver:laugh:

While I was cooking dinner this evening, I noticed that I also have cornflake bread crumbs in my pantry of dry goods and they appear to be less in calories and fat than either of my other two suggestions, not as high on protein though. guess we have to pick our battles:grumble: