"starvation mode'

Options
2»

Replies

• ashley_marie1118
    Options
    people can go a looonnggg time, on very, very little food,,, people all over the world are actually starving, and may have been in that situation since the day they were born... i highly doubt going into ``starvation mode`` for a short time is going to kill you
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    60 years ago they also used to recommend drinking whole milk to treat ulcers and then couldn't figure out why people had heart attacks. And also thought that speed was a great dietary supplement for women struggling to lose weight. So... yeah.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Interesting. It's funny when I see the instant 'starvation mode' alarmists on this site. Sure, I think any form of starving or LONG PERIODS of under-eating can't possibly be good for your body. But if someone oops, only managed to net 800 calories that day they will not fall into starvation mode by midnight. :noway:

There have been days I netted low. I didn't wake up and plan that. I ate enough, just had killer workouts. Wasn't hungry later to eat back exercise calories. Not going to stuff myself just to make the food goal. No way.

This is pretty reasonable. We sometimes have high days and sometimes low. Calorie and/or carb cycling works for many people. I often find after a killer workout I am not hungry the rest of the day, but am ravenous the next. That's cool, it's just my bod telling me what it needs.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!!
  • ashleyfarris921
    Options
    I lost 45 pounds to just gain back 35. I was eating very little maybe 600 to 1000 calories a day, I went into starvation mode. Everyone can say it's crap, but it happend to me. I worked out, I ate very little, but the weight would not budge. I know it will take a while to get 50 pounds off but it's worth it to take the weight off slow!!! So the bottom line is change your lifestyle! It's easy to lose weight, but it takes a change of lifestyle to keep it off!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    No one is saying that it is impossible to starve to death. But the fact that it takes time to starve to death is proof that the body does slow down metabolism in response to receiving too few calories. If you don't want to call it "starvation mode," then call it "adaptive thermogenesis." In any event, it exists.