Sad.

Options
Dear friends-
I know this isn't exactly fitness related, but does anyone here struggle with depression around...ahem...that time of the month? I've dealt with PMDD for years, and I've tried everything from birth control to anti depressants...
It effects the quality of my life: my ability to be a good friend, girlfriend, employee, etc.
I haven't the energy to even get out for a walk during this time, my appetite skyrockets...
Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice?
Western medicine has done all it can for me, and I don't tolerate ANYTHING synthetic. I've only had synthetic drugs thrown at me, and it has only made it worse.
I'm on MFP to gain a more holistic, healthier life style.
St. John's Wort?
I just feel like I can make all the progress in the world and feel so great for a few weeks, only to be knocked down and have all my self confidence and positive attitude taken from me each month.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
I'll keep hope that things will improve, but it has been a long road!
Have a wonderful afternoon, all.
-OB

Replies

• dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I know what you're going through. I used to have a really hard time for the week before and the week of my period. I was like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, turning on people for no reason, crying all the time over nothing... it was awful. I realized that I was spending half my life as a disaster and figured I better do something and quick.

The first thing I did was switch to a birth control pill where I only get my period four times a year instead of every month. I figured even if it didn't help with the severity, if it could reduce the frequency, that would be a step in the right direction. It ended up helping with both. I still get pretty bad for a day or two, but its not nearly the same as it was.

There are a few things that have been shown to help reduce symptoms, the most natural being making sure you are getting plenty of calcium in your diet and exercise. Start with the calcium and see if that helps you to get moving. It might help, and it can't hurt.
  • Binkylove
    Binkylove Posts: 161
    Options
    I know what you are going through too. I had really bad PMS so much so that i had to have a hystorectomy at 32. I had endemetriosis and it can mimic the symptoms of PMS terribly!!!!!
    Even now since having the operation for the hystorectomy i am severly depressed! And on medication. You need to ask yourself if depression runs in your family tree because depression can be passed down through the generation. Happily afete taking antidepressants ( which need about 3 months or more to work!!!!!!!!!) I am on the road to a better recovery.
    I hope you overcome the depression and have a happy life!!!

Pamela XXX:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • OliveBranch
    OliveBranch Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank you, guys. I really appreciate hearing from you, and I hope you're both feeling better soon!
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    I was told that Vitamin D helps with depression and moodiness. Here, in Alaska where we get very little sun over the winter and the whole town gets the blues, the doctors recommend 2000 units a day. I started to take it and I'm feeling overall better.
    Good luck!