Running...can a newbie do it??

Options
Hetfield
Hetfield Posts: 14 Member
Hi, :noway:
I'm curious about something.... I go to the gym regularly but I have never been a runner. I would like to start running. I'm 43 years old if that matters and in fairly good shape just need to lose about 10 lbs. Today, I went to the gym and got on the treadmill, warmed up, then started to run at 5.4 speed and all I could do was 0.25 mile.... my lungs wanted to die!! So, I ran the 0.25 then fast walked a mile then ran 0.25 and fast walked a mile etc., but after the second 0.25 I could only run half of that...

So how long does it take someone who has never ran before to increase the distance?? Is that speed okay? I just feel like when I do run, I sweat more and burn more calories and I have some friends who are mega runners (marathoners) and they say its the best workout overall. Advice would be greatly appreciated! I would ask my marathon friends but they are out running right now :laugh:
Thanks

Replies

• little_wolfie
    Options
    I really like the Couch to 5K program (google it!) I went from being able to run only 15 seconds (seriously) to now where I can go for 2 minutes. Still not great, but it's huge progress for me!
  • Beau815
    Beau815 Posts: 8
    Options
    running is the only thing I have ever done that you see improvements every time you do it. Next time you will be able to go longer, youll see.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I will be 48 this month and just started running about a month or so ago. The first time I did it was on a treadmill and thought my lungs would explode. I have a program on my treadmill that changes speeds and inclines every minute and I was lucky to get through a minute. I am now running at least 20-30 minutes of my 30-45 minute work out. It takes time but keep it up. I don't run much outside because I live in the country and the gravel roads really hurt my feet. My ultimate goal it so run the half marathon at disney when I am 50.

Forgot to add..... I am 40+ pounds overweight and not in good shape, so you can do it, it just takes time.
  • threeupthreedown
    Options
    Yes.

I did a "Learn to Run" course through the Running Room last year.
    Now, I am addicted to running.
    I did my first 5 km run last year.
    My time was 34 minutes.
    I am 40 pounds overweight.
    I am 56 years old.
    The sense of accomplishment when the run is over is what keeps me motivated.

ENJOY!!!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You'll get stronger every time you do it... Next time you run just try to go a tad bit further that you did the previous day. Before you know it you'll be running a full lap:happy:
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I've never been a runner either...but it's something that I'm working my way up to...and I agree with Beau815...you WILL see improvments if you work your way up. First I started walking briskly and then started adding some hills. Then I started running little by little - I would run a block and then walk up and then back down the intersection...and run the next block, etc. At first, I only did about 4 blocks each way (west and then east up my street) and that was HARD! And then I did 6 blocks each way...and now, just a few weeks later, I am doing 8 blocks each way and working on 10.
    It DOES get easier the more you do it....and then you can add more distance and/or speed.

Also, don't worry too much about speed when you're starting out. I read that the reason most people get frustrated with running is that they start out too fast...and it's hard and so they quit. That was one of my problems too. I just need to always tell myself to slow down a bit so I don't get tired so quickly and give up.

Hope this helps! :smile:

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    running is the only thing I have ever done that you see improvements every time you do it. Next time you will be able to go longer, youll see.

Absolutely-- and improvements in your body every time. My stomach, backside, inner thighs-- you name it, all are so much better-- and get better and stronger each time I go out.

I'm 44 and just ran my first 5k-- go for it!!!!!!!!
  • Hetfield
    Hetfield Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Thank you all for your encouragement!!! It sounds like the general consensus is that it works and to not get discouraged.... now those of you that use the treadmill to run on - is 5.4 a decent speed or no? I'm just hoping I don't get discouraged by my hyperinflated lungs LOL !!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that running--even at a relatively slow speed, is pretty intense exercise. If you are not used to it, then your body's first response will resemble Lucy and Ethel trying to keep up with the top speed belt at the candy factory. Your body kind of goes haywire.

I would not start with a distance interval--just start with time. If that means just 30 or 60 seconds, so be it. Do the run interval and then walk for 2 or 3 minutes. Try for 3-6 repetitions, congratulate yourself and call it a day.

The body has short-term and long-term adaptations to new exercise loads. If you don't overdo it, some short-term adaptations--better breathing, feeling more comfortable and coordinated--should kick in pretty quickly.

But definitely do a walk/jog interval routine. Just gradually increase the running intervals. Once you get to the point where you can do 15-20 total minutes of running (divided into 5-7 run intervals) then start to gradually reduce the walking time.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Thank you all for your encouragement!!! It sounds like the general consensus is that it works and to not get discouraged.... now those of you that use the treadmill to run on - is 5.4 a decent speed or no? I'm just hoping I don't get discouraged by my hyperinflated lungs LOL !!

My treadmill speed started out at 4.8, now I am at 5.4 so you might want to back it down a little. Treadmill is also somewhat different in that it "pushes" you at a certain speed. When you are not using a treadmill you don't get that "run of fall off" sensation. I would not worry so much about speed now and do the time intervals like Azdak said.