weight loss isn't steady...

Options
Hello MFPers. I've been on this journey for close to three months now. My projected weight loss has been set at 2 lb/week, but upon looking at my goals on the website it's actually 1.9 lb/week. I looked at this and thought, no, this can't be right. There is no way that I've lost around 2 lbs/week since January, I would have lost so much more than what I actually have. But I calculated it and, well, if you average it out, the projected weight-loss has been spot-on. So I shouldn't be complaining, right?
I'm confused though. On my bad weeks, I'll weigh myself at least once daily and I'll be on the same weight as the day before....sometimes I'll even be up one or two pounds (yes I know now that the body's weight is constantly fluctuating, but still!) but then the next week I'll be a high weight one day, and two days later my scale will say I'm 3 lbs lighter. It's a new digital scale so I don't really see how it can be wrong. I try to only weigh myself once a week now...one week I'll have a .4 lb loss, the next day it'll read as a 2.5 lb loss.
I guess my question is...is there anything I'm doing to make my weeks fluctuate so much during weigh-ins since I'm doing more or less the same things every day, at least in terms of what/how much I eat and how much I exercise?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    No, weight doesn't come off nice and steadily.

Sounds like you're dong just great!
  • billthekill
    Options
    Looks like you are doing great.

Don't worry about the fluctuation in weight. It is SUPPOSE to be that way.
    Try this for an experiment: Weigh yourself than drink 2 glass of water. You will gain 1lb of weight. Use the bathroom a couple times later and you will lose that pound.

A lot of people will tell you not to be obsess with the scale and only use it once a week. I suggest the exact opposite, weigh yourself often, 5 times a day. learn the ebb and flow of your body's natural weight fluctuation. That way you won't panic if you gain 5lbs in one day (It happens all the time).

For tracking purposes, I like to just get my low reading for the day to compare to the previous week.
  • hellomeghan
    Options
    hmm, I've never heard that before. It makes perfect sense though. I'll have to experiment with that!