Belly Fat

Good morning everyone! I have a question..
What are the best exercises to get rid of your belly?
I seem to loose the weight everywhere except there. Any tips?

Replies

• lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    The only way i've been able to get rid of my belly and love handles is through cardio, specifically running
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Eating the proper calories, having correct macronutrient setup, cardio twice a week and lifting weights.

As long as you are in a slight deficit of 20% below TDEE you can lose fat.
    If you have cut too low, 1200 range, you probably wont lose the belly fat at all.

Check the link on my profile for more info.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Sadly there is no such thing as spot reduction, you just need to follow a calories deficit through diet and exercise, and MFP gives a darn good guide to doing that.

Don't waste your time doing a zillion crunches, do full-body resistance training with heavy weights and your core will be engaged more thoroughly than doing ab-specific exercises. Planks are the bomb, though!

Good luck!
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    3 golden rules for belly-erasing technique:

1) Cal control. In < out
    2) Cardio
    3) Strength training; compound > machines
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    There was another tread on this a few days ago with a few exercises posted.

Belly fat is the most dangerous type of fat there is, and one must totally get rid of it if one does not want to get diabetes 2 and a heart condition.
  • v2embee
    v2embee Posts: 23 Member
    You can't spot reduce. If that's the first place you gained, it's the last place you'll lose. However, I would still do exercises that help improve your core strength-- they're important.. :-)

Examples:
    Abdominal crunches, the bridge, single-leg abdominal press, segmental rotations, etc.
  • Hey there. The only real way to lose belly fat is to set the goal of losing overall bodyfat -what bites is that you can't really choose where that fat comes from. Best bet - cardio and/or diet to go under your net calories.

There are exercises you can do to tighten up your midsection (google exercises for the transversus abdominis), but this will not compensate for needing to lose bodyfat - they will just tighten your core. If you're looking to get fit and lose fat, your focus however should be on exercising in a way that will accomplish that - and a focus on ab work will definitely ~not~ get you there.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Fat typically comes on in a certain order, depending on your body type and genetics, etc. If you put on your belly fat first, it will be the last to come off. That's just what I've heard, but also what I've experienced. My legs have always been thin, but when I was really heavy they of course got heavier. They were the first place to get skinny. Stupid belly is taking forever because that's the first place I gain. It's coming though... just slow steady progress! Calorie control, cardio and strength training, total body workouts. Those are what worked for me.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    okay, i'm going to say this myself, i don't know if anyone else said it, cause i can't be bothered reading everyones posts

BUT ABS ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN! PERIOD
    you want to get a flat stomach, you eat healthy and you eat less, simple as that. PERIOD

Alex Zerega's Diet
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/pro-fitness-model-alex-zerega-talks-with-simplyshredded-com.html

Meal 1: (1) scoop Protein powder, (½ – 1) cup Multigrain Oats (measured dry), (1) tbs. Peanut Butter
    Meal 2: (7) Egg Whites, mixed Greens
    Meal 3: (4-6) oz. Chicken, mixed Greens, (4) oz. Sweet Potato
    Meal 4: (4-6) oz. Extra lean Ground Turkey, mixed Greens
    Meal 5: (4-6) oz. Tilapia, mixed Greens

2-2.jpg
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,262 Member
    okay, i'm going to say this myself, i don't know if anyone else said it, cause i can't be bothered reading everyones posts

BUT ABS ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN! PERIOD
    you want to get a flat stomach, you eat healthy and you eat less, simple as that. PERIOD

It's only 9 posts, your tone is 'I know best', and you haven't considered what most posters here have said - abdominal fat can be the hardest to shift for some people. Try to be a bit more constructive next time
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Sadly there is no such thing as spot reduction, you just need to follow a calories deficit through diet and exercise, and MFP gives a darn good guide to doing that.

Don't waste your time doing a zillion crunches, do full-body resistance training with heavy weights and your core will be engaged more thoroughly than doing ab-specific exercises. Planks are the bomb, though!

Good luck!

I agree with the above - I particularly think doing constructive weights really helps because you have to engage your core and all the muscles around your back as well. It just takes time!
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Besides diet to reduce body fat, compound exercises like squats and deadlifts are great for strengthening not just your lower half but your entire core due to stabilization.
  • I've lost 5 1/2 inches off my waist since starting to use MFP diligently this year. I'm doing lots of cardio and group fitness classes and tracking my food, that's it. I shoot to get at least an hour of exercise each day, even if it's just doing yard work or cranking up the radio and cleaning the house for an hour.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Besides diet to reduce body fat, compound exercises like squats and deadlifts are great for strengthening not just your lower half but your entire core due to stabilization.

This is spot on, I'm seeing great results in my belly from core exercises and a healthy diet!