Protein shake before/after work out?

Just wondering what everyone else finds works best for them. I workout in the morning (5am) so on a completely empty stomach- no eating after dinner which is at 5:30pm the night before. Right now I am running 1.5 miles (a 9 minute mile)- I was running 5 miles a day before I broke my ankle in November and need surgery- I am working back up the 5 mile mark. I then circuit train for another 30 minutes. So my question is should I be drinking a protein shake before my run or between my run and circuit training- or even right after my workout as a recovery? I don't have breakfast until about an hour after finishing everything

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    When you lift weight and rip some muscle fibers, you have 24 hours from the initial lifting to refeed the muscle.
    Pre workout drink a BCAA mix if you want or just go at it with some water.
    Post workout meal you should have extra carb focus and protein and make this meal a bigger one than any other.
    Protein shakes are an easy way to get protein but youll see way better results chewing your food.

With your type of schedule you should look into the science behind Intermittent Fasting.
    www.leangains.com

I stop eating at 10pm and resume at 2pm the next day.

The benefits are higher HGH, better cholesterol and increased insulin sensitivity.

I also dont have to do any cardio!
    =D
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    I exercise after work, and have dinner post-workout. But here's an interesting article I recently read:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/0221/what-to-eat-before-during-and-after-your-workout.aspx