If you are a 5'9 woman or taller....

Options

Replies

• mrslegdrg
    Options
    5'9" and aiming for 150 ... I've been down to 145, but it was hard to maintain (& below was too low for me in the past). For me, it is less about a number and more about how I feel!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, I started at 198lbs and am currently 165lbs. My goal is 154, but I'd quite like to be 150. The least I've ever weighed was 135 and I really liked how I looked (I have always had quite thin lower legs and forearms and the rest of me matched at that weight) but I think many years and 2 kids have ruined my chances of getting there again.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" with an athletic build and weigh 152 and I'm planning on staying here. I wear a 4 or a 6 - mostly a 6.

It's info like this that is so fascinating to me! Years ago, when I was doing triathlons, I weighed 150 or so, and am 5'11". Never, ever got below a size 12, though! Occasionally squeezed into a size 10. It's a real head scratcher... but is good info for the OP to have.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I'm 5'11" and have felt/ looked comfortable at 150-165. I'm hoping to end up in that range again.

I know what you mean, I used to fit size 10 pants (US size 6) but have never got below a 14 (or 10) in the top. I'm guessing it is because I have broad shoulders and narrow hips?!? Also I sometimes had to go up a size in pants to get the legs long enough. Clothing sizes are weird!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" with an athletic build and weigh 152 and I'm planning on staying here. I wear a 4 or a 6 - mostly a 6.

It's info like this that is so fascinating to me! Years ago, when I was doing triathlons, I weighed 150 or so, and am 5'11". Never, ever got below a size 12, though! Occasionally squeezed into a size 10. It's a real head scratcher... but is good info for the OP to have.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I'm 5'11" and have felt/ looked comfortable at 150-165. I'm hoping to end up in that range again.

I attribute my smaller size to weight lifting. Last year when all I did was run, I weighed between 158 and 162 and I was a size 10. Ever since I started weight lifting, my inches have just dropped, but my weight has barely dropped.

Edited to add - I also recently did one of those frame size calculators (not that I put too much faith in online calculators) but they said that based on my wrist size, I have a small frame....
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    "need a sandwich" :laugh: There is a big range of healthy weights and everyone carries their weight very differently. When you throw in muscle mass things get even more confusing. There are a couple of measurements that you can take to tell if you are on the right track.

Supposedly your wrist size can give you a clue to your frame size. Anyone else heard this? You wrap your thumb and your middle finger around your wrist. If the tips meet, you have a medium sized frame and should aim for the middle of the weight range. Middle finger falls below thumb tip for small frame sizes, etc. Not sure about that but I do know another very important measurement is your waist size. Supposedly this number can predict your heart health.

I am 5'10" and I have weighed everything from 145 (wedding day 18 years ago) to 190 (pregnant 11 years ago). I am very active so even when the scale has a high number I always feel like I look good.:laugh: I think this is where being taller is awesome. It feels like we can get away with weighing more somehow...

Even with using wrist size, it still is a very poor gauge of frame size. Based on my wrist size I have a small frame. But based on my actaul hips, because I am 5'6 and even when i was an athlete and under or around 100 lbs with under 10% body fat my hips were STILL 36 inches. So not remotely a small body frame. Better to just look at fat mass vs. fat free mass.

Hip size is different from waist size. It is our "waist" size that is a good indication of our heart health. The apple shape ( large waist ) is more at risk for heart disease than the pear shape ( large hips and thighs ).
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and aiming for 140. I've been there before and felt good about it.
  • abigailm83
    abigailm83 Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm just over 5'9" and my skinny is 175-180lbs or that was my skinny weight. I'm aiming for 160lbs this time but if it get to lookin like I need a sandwich I'll stop. :smile:
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9.6 with a medium build and 124-125 Ibs right now. I feel comfortable being 126 or a bit less.
    I was 142 when I first checked after a while last summer.
    At my heaviest I was 150 and felt really huge.

I am a uk size 6-8 right now (us 2-4 I presume though us sizing seems generous)
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10. I started at 270 and 20W. I'm 231 now and a regular 18. A 12 would be ideal for me, which would put me at about 180, I guess?
  • katjamaya
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and currently coasting from 150-155. I got to 145 in November and was unsatisfied with my look, so my goal is around 130-135 right now. I'm also big boned, but I don't mind my collar bones and that protruding, I think it looks just fine.
  • lindzkam
    lindzkam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and currently around 160. My goal is to get between 145-150. Anyone who has lost weight--about how long did it take you? I know that everyone's different, but I'd like to plan this out for myself. I understand losing about a pound a week is good?
  • Gagaluvr
    Gagaluvr Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'9" and I started at 165 and the lowest I got on MFP was 153. My goal is 145 and I feel like its so difficult for me to just get below 153! Then I started Jillian 30 day ripped and within 3 weeks I gained 4 lbs :/ so I'm 157 now ugh! My other goal is to wear a bikini at age 38 in the summer and feel comfortable in it :) lets hope
    I can do this within 3.5 months until summer arrives :)
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and weigh 176 about size 10 - 12. Pre cancer diagnosis I was 143. Who would have thought you gain so much during chemo!! Hope to get down into the 150's and will re-evaluate then. At least I am still here....just want to be a healthy weight.
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, I feel most comfortable in the 150s, anywhere from 150-159. I am 159 now...woo hoo!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am 5"9....I started out at 380 pounds and now weigh 198 pounds. With so much weight loss I have excess skin. (Estimated at a Dexa Scan about 5 kilos/11 pounds of skin)...it was recommended a ideal weight for me would be around 79-81 kilos/180 pounds. But I am mostly going to base it on my body fat %. Currently its 27.6% and my aim is 20-22%.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 my start weight this year was 175, current is 161.2. My first goal is 155 where I was last year this time. I would love to get to 145 again, where I was almost 10 years ago, thats where I was most comfortable. I have been 125 before, I definitely needed a sandwich, chips and a candy bar at that weight.
  • SamkiMacha
    Options
    I am 5'9" and currently weigh 207 lbs. In 2012 I weighed my heaviest at 265 lbs. I have worked hard to get close to 200 lbs (which was my original weight loss goal) however; I am aiming for 165-170 lbs (which is what my doctor's consider healthy weight for someone of my stature).

I have very wide hips and a large rib cage which actually makes weight loss very difficult. I tend to carry weight in my upper body more than my lower now (I attribute that to my cardio regimen). So I have refocused my exercise on upper body techniques and I will start swimming this week (I live in Arizona, swimming is not only fun - it helps you survive the heat waves we get).

Most of my weight loss came from a reduction in sugary foods, reduction in eating at fast food/sit down restaurants and an increase in vegetable intake. I easily consume 4-6 servings of vegetables a day (typically through juicing or by blending spinach, cucumbers and carrots in my magic bullet). The increase in vegetables has helped with my fatigue and made me more alert at work.

I am actually really excited to be so close to my goal. I am hoping to reach 180-185 by the middle of August this year. (I am 28 years old and nearly ALL the women near my age in my family weigh 250-350lbs or more - it would be a great way to show them that weight doesn't need to control you)
  • skinnyvivi404
    skinnyvivi404 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2. I'm currently 195 (my heaviest) and I think my comfortable weight where I could fit into size small/medium and size 4/6 pants was around 175. I think my current weight is probably pretty healthy for my height but I feel like I am carrying too much weight for me.
  • katerskate
    katerskate Posts: 13
    Options
    Love reading this and seeing how everyone's 'comfortable/happy' weights are so different, just shows weight is not the be all and end all of health- we all have such different builds even at this height :-)

Just to add my two cents, I am 5'10.5" and currently weigh around 137lbs. I wear UK size 8 on top, 10 on bottom. I have a beanstalk build (read: long and narrow). This is the best I have looked in ages re. a flat stomach, but I don't want to lose any more weight. In fact I would be more than happy to gain lbs in muscle!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and fluctuate between 143lbs and 150lbs. I wear a size 4 or 6 on the bottom and usually a small or medium up top - (thanks weight lifting and low body fat!).