Exercise, food and the brain chemical connection

Options
stillkristi
stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
Hi gang, this is kind of long. But a couple of folks have asked me to post it. Its from my blog.

Well, I weighed in today and lost 2 pounds this week. That should make me pretty happy, right? But, instead, I am feeling a little let down, because last week, I lost 7 lbs. Two pounds is respectable. In fact, its the recommended maximum by MFP and most of the fitness gurus in the world. So, why would I be feeling let down?

Here's what I think: While my eating was well under control this week, I had a crappy exercise week. Crazy days at work, extra meetings, staying up late, getting up late, running here, running there, dryer repair guy in the house twice to disrupt my morning routine. Blah, blah, blah.

So, I did a little research - I wondered if the sporadic exercise might be somehow related to my being somewhat disappointed with myself. Here's what I discovered:
Exercise releases endorphins - the natural pain killers in our bodies. Endorphins are morphine like substances that attach to opiate receptors in our brains. So, this past week, when I wasn't exercising regularly, I noticed I didn't feel as spry - I have been dragging a little more, and feeling the pain back in my knees a little. The word endorphin means "morphine within" and I haven't been activating the morphine within like I was during the previous week. When those opiate receptors are activated, they block pain signals to the nervous system. They also produce a euphoric feeling. Less euphoria = feeling a little let down. Interesting.
I took the research a step further - What is the effect of food on my mood? In the past, that feeling a little let down could easily have been a trigger to eating the wrong stuff - getting off track and self-sabotaging. I have always wondered why I did that. This time, instead of seeking out the comfort foods, I decided to read up on the subject. I started with the definition of food addiction according to the Encyclopedia of Eating Disorders - "Food addiction is a nonmedical term that refers to a compulsion to eat specific foods, usually those that are high in sugar or starch. Although this term is used to describe intense cravings to seek out specific foods, these foods are not, in and of themselves, physically addictive in the way a drug might be. Instead, the need to pursue and consume these foods may be representative of a psychological disturbance, extreme anxiety, or emotional distress."

Ok, seems like I may be on the right track, but I really wanted it to be physically addictive, rather than representative of anxiety or emotional distress. But oh well. Next, I found a ton of research studies about the effects of different neurotransmitters on mood and the corelation between the production, release, and reception of these nureotransmitters by the brain and mood. Three neurotransmitters (brain chemicals) dopamine, norephenephrine (brain stimulants or uppers) and serotonin (brain calming or sedative) have been studied in relation to food by a number of people. Women tend to be more sensitive to changes in serotonin levels than men (note our PMS reactions and menopasual mood swings). Foods that increase serotonin are high in carbs - sugar, pasta, cereals, etc. So, I feel better. I'm not crazy. Just sensitive. :) Meanwhile, the other two, the chemical stimulants tend to be increased by protein rich foods. Hmmmmm.....

So, whats the take home message for me today? Pay attention to the little things, like brain chemicals! And the best way to do that, is to sweat - exercise! In the past, I would have found myself feeling let down by what I saw as a negative - ONLY losing two pounds. And, I would have then gone to the tried and true method for feeling better about myself - empty carbohydrates that elevated my serotonin levels and gave me a false sense of security. Today, whats the fix? Eat a tuna salad and get out and exercise!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    I love it!

Good stuff, Kristi. :flowerforyou:
  • angelascott919
    Options
    Wow thank so much... I think this might explain a few things for me too.
  • indianagranny
    indianagranny Posts: 863
    Options
    Thanks Kristi - interesting
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Kristi

Thanks for doing all the research for me. I have some weeks where I slack off from exercise a bit and it shows. Of course I am usually not honest with myself and blame the scale or some mysterious plateau for the lack of downward movement in the pounds.

It just goes to show that a good old fashioned butt kicking is what I need at the gym!
  • jac2372
    jac2372 Posts: 1
    Options
    Excellent information, explains a lot about my life the last couple of weeks-Thanks
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Happy Sunday.

Eat healthy. Kristi says. bump
  • stillkristi
    Options
    thanks for the kind comments you all! I am amazed at how much I am learning about things I thought I already knew. Pretty humbling!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    OMG!!!! You have just validated some of my thoughts. I am so thankful to you for doing this research and posting it

I thought I felt less pain on the days that I exercised, and did not know why. Like today. I ran/walked for 30 minutes. Nothing to do with my neck (my source of pain) but 1 hour later I was pain free!!

I again thank you with my entire heart for posting this Kristi

:heart: Jeannie

Edit- I removed it
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Kristi,
    I must admit that I read the Over 300 thread when I get a chance because you are the most inspirational and motivational group to me. All of you are pretty amazing in what you do and have been through! I can tell you that each and every one of you are probably more in shape than I am right now!!! I have missed exercising for 10 days now and it shows. My moods have been blah, I've been very short with my Dad when I've had to be around him and I've given in to foods that I should be eating much more moderately! Just wanted to thank you so much for your posts and for sharing this one with us. I think I'm actually going to get off the couch now that I have a moment and try to get a workout video OR TWO! in!!! Please keep posting!
    ~wifey
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    thanks Kristi thats a wonderful report. I missed you on the low carbers. I got my books by the Eades MD's I got the Low - carbs diet solutions of theirs which has a 3o day meal plan. But I have gain 5 lbs. Which I do every so often with my congestive hearth faliure. So I am not really concern about it yet. My doc will just increase my water pills. And I do go to the 300 lb club for I think you all are great.
    Caliecat
  • stillkristi
    Options
    OMG!!!! You have just validated some of my thoughts. I am so thankful to you for doing this research and posting it

I thought I felt less pain on the days that I exercised, and did not know why. Like today. I ran/walked for 30 minutes. Nothing to do with my neck (my source of pain) but 1 hour later I was pain free!!

Edit- I removed it

Jeannie - wow, thank you! That was very nice. I am glad it was helpful. I was just excited to find out something about myself, primarily about cravings and how an otherwise rational, intelligent woman can do something so self destructive and just plain crazy-stupid. So, thanks again, glad to help!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Edit- I removed it

Jeannie - wow, thank you! That was very nice. I am glad it was helpful. I was just excited to find out something about myself, primarily about cravings and how an otherwise rational, intelligent woman can do something so self destructive and just plain crazy-stupid. So, thanks again, glad to help!

but it is logical, isnt it? Our bodies are machines no one will ever fully understand. So I will lay off the carbs when I am craving and go for a fast walk, :drinker:
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    but I really wanted it to be physically addictive, rather than representative of anxiety or emotional distress.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i feel the same way!!

great post!!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    thbump2.gif
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    VERY helpful.
    Thanks.
    Good words to remember.
  • cmriverside