Runners!!

Options
How do I improve my time? I've been running about every other day and I feel like lately I just can't run any faster than an 11 minute mile. Is there a certain way to train to get faster? I just ran my first 7K last week and I really want to do a 10K this fall but I'd love to improve my time to a 10 minute mile if possible. Everytime I try to run faster I get that stitching pain under my ribs?

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Information on intervals a sure way to increase your speed

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-275--11996-0,00.html
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You could be running too fast which could be causing the stitch in the side.

I suggest throwing in some speed work and tempo runs as well. I don't know how far you typically go on your running days but for example if you're running say 4 miles for your speed work do: 1 mile at your normal pace; 1/2 mile fast; 1/2 mile regular pace; 1/2 mile fast; 1/2 mile regular and then 1 mile cool-down pace.

For your tempo run (again say you're running 4 miles) do 1 mile at your starting pace and then try to do 2 miles a bit faster and then finish with a 1 mile cool down. Rotate these through out the week and when the paces get easy up them. Believe me it works. When I was training for a half marathon a few years ago a friend of mine made my program and he had me doing speed and tempo runs and by maybe the fourth week in a 9 minute mile felt excruciatingly slow to me.
  • coolhandhutch
    Options
    Try strength & interval/circuit training- it helped my times and I also noticed I was less prone to back pain/shin splints. Depending on when and where you get that stitch in your side, it could be breathing related. Try a few really deep inspirations & maximal expirations- blow it alllllllllll out. Works for me when I change my pace. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Same way you learn to run to begin with... intervals.

Do 1 minute at a faster pace (maybe 30 seconds faster than your typical pace), and 4 minutes at your typical pace. Repeat 4 times. When you can do that without feeling like you're going to die, transfer 30 seconds to your faster pace interval from your slower paced interval (so 1:30 fast and 3:30 slower). Keep up with your times so you can see progress. Set goals for when you will change it up.

I've been running for 3 years and went from not being able to run at all to 8:15 minute miles. I'm trying to break 8min miles for a 5K and STILL do intervals - 1 min fast, 2 min slow, quarter mile intervals - mix it up!

You CAN do it!
  • RachelVon
    RachelVon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just time myself and try to cut at least 5-10 seconds/mile once a week!
    Last week my time was 8:50
    This week 8:35 (I used to be a really good runner so I would like to be down to a really good time!)

Just slowly cut time is my suggestion
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Sprinting stairs lowered my time
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you've been running and how your endurance is my advise may be to either:

a) don't worry about speed yet, base before race

b) you run faster by training faster
    - incorporate a shorter "tempo" run into your weekly workouts and gradually build them up (tempo runs are run at or close to race pace)
    - interval training (if there's a 400m track close by you can do track repeats, if not you can start by a nice easy warm up then go as fast as you can between 2 telephone poles and then slow down again & repeat - tons of great stuff on the web, google interval training or check the resources at runnersworld.com)
    - run hills (I hate running hills) basically run up the hill, come back down slowly to recover & repeat
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I improved my time greatly by using the FIRST program out of the book Run Less Run Faster. It's a 3 plus 2 plan of 3 days running, 2 days cross training. It worked well for me. I trained to run my half marathon 2 weeks ago at 9:40, my best time before that was 9:57, I ran it at 9:13 MPM. It's a pretty intense program, with very very specific speeds and schedule. I missed some days by being ill or from bad weather, but overall stuck pretty close to plan and was thrilled with my results. I"m now using it for Marathon training.
  • dhighfill
    Options
    A. You should work up to running at least 20 miles per week and at least 4-5 days a week with a long workout for the week of at least 6-8 miles for a 10K race to actually experience improvement.
    B. If you are, then throw in a quality workout once a week. A quality workout may consist of some interval training at a pace equal to or less than what you want your per mile pace to be for the 10K. Start with maybe some (6-10) 100 to 200 meter intervals at your anticipated 10K pace or a little faster. This way you train your legs to turn over faster. You can increase the numbers each week by 2 and when you feel comfortable advance to 400 to 800 meter intervals starting with 4.
    C. Also remember this, when you throw in quality work you do increase the possiblility injury. NOTE: Do not make the interval a sprint that is not what you are going for.
    D. Side stitch-track what you may have eaten that day before your workout or how soon after you eat do you go workout. If you do get one slow down and try to massage the area or control your breathing.

Hope this helps....and GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Great thread!

I am also a newish runner, also stuck around 10-11 minute miles and trying to get faster.

I finished C25K in November and have just been working on regularly and consistently running about 3 miles. I've gotten a bit faster just from running the same distance over and over again (first 5k time was around 36 minutes, now I can run it in about 33) but I would love to do some actual speedwork, intervals, and tempo runs. It will also be nice to change things up and challenge myself instead of doing the same 2-4 mile runs again and again.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I improved my time greatly by using the FIRST program out of the book Run Less Run Faster. It's a 3 plus 2 plan of 3 days running, 2 days cross training. It worked well for me. I trained to run my half marathon 2 weeks ago at 9:40, my best time before that was 9:57, I ran it at 9:13 MPM. It's a pretty intense program, with very very specific speeds and schedule. I missed some days by being ill or from bad weather, but overall stuck pretty close to plan and was thrilled with my results. I"m now using it for Marathon training.
    I use the FIRST program also. It's a good combination of working on endurance and speed.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Information on intervals a sure way to increase your speed

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-275--11996-0,00.html

Yes! This! I do speed training every other week and hill training on the weeks that I don't do speed training. Speed work is hard. It's suppose to be. But, it's the only thing that is going to improve your time.
  • jessica7368
    jessica7368 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you've been running and how your endurance is my advise may be to either:

a) don't worry about speed yet, base before race

b) you run faster by training faster
    - incorporate a shorter "tempo" run into your weekly workouts and gradually build them up (tempo runs are run at or close to race pace)
    - interval training (if there's a 400m track close by you can do track repeats, if not you can start by a nice easy warm up then go as fast as you can between 2 telephone poles and then slow down again & repeat - tons of great stuff on the web, google interval training or check the resources at runnersworld.com)
    - run hills (I hate running hills) basically run up the hill, come back down slowly to recover & repeat

I have only been running for about 4 months. I use to be the person who WALKED the mile in highschool. I've always wanted to try to run but I gave up. Which is why I signed up for the 7K. I did it and completed running a 11 minute mile. SO I'm really happy with that. It just seems like when I try to run faster I get that pain under my side and that blows the rest of my run, it just keeps coming back. I have a feeling it's related to breathing because I have a hard time getting a really deep breath during those faster runs. I live right by the highschool though so maybe I should start running the track to see if I can improve.
  • fleurina
    fleurina Posts: 6
    Options
    Jess, I've been running a pretty consistent pace my entire adult life. (Used to be fast in HS, but those days are over, haha!) Only in the last few months, I've been doing tempo runs on a treadmill and it has improved my pace so much already!!! I hate running on a treadmill, but it's the only way for me to accurately monitor my pace. I just build slowly. For example, I'll run the first 0.10 mile at 6.5mph, the second 1/10 at 6.6, the third 1/10 at 6.7, until I've run a complete mile and am up to 7.4 mph for the last tenth of a mile.

The next week I'll start at 6.6 or 6.7 mph. Now I can run a mile in close to 8 minutes. Might not be fast for some people, but for me, running 10 minute miles (consistently) for the last 6 or 7 years, this is extremely fast. Now, my longer runs are usually about 9:38 to 9:50 per mile for 3+ miles. I didn't have any improvement over the last 6-7 years, so even that small improvement is huge and I really think it's because of the tempo runs on the treadmill. So, like everyone has already said, basically don't only be concerned with distance... tempos and intervals are really important as well.

But, honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned with increasing my pace after only running for 4 months. I guess it's up to you and your body...
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I use the FIRST program also. It's a good combination of working on endurance and speed.

another vote for the FIRST program, it got me noticably faster each of the two times that i followed it for my marathon training. it includes a tempo day and an interval day and cross training, these three things are crucial to getting faster whether you follow their specific program or not.