I don't get it...WHY do I want to eat my exercise calories??

Options
Somebody 'splain to me like I'm 6. I thought the point of exercise was to BURN the calories, why on earth would I want to cancel that out?

Replies

• thervondia_stevenson
    Options
    I will be awaiting a response, because I was wondering this as well!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    mfp sets you up to already have a calorie deficit (a healthy one). If you burn off 300 calories, it may put you down to an unhealthy (too large) deficit. It can be counter productive and slow weight loss down, as you aren't fueling your body enough. This has many variables--the biggest one being your current weight. Apparently, you can handle the lower calories longer if you're bigger?? I don't know.

Anyway-eating back your exercise calories puts you back to the place where you are at a healthy deficit, to sustain healthy weightloss. Exercise has many other benefits--it's good for your heart, it helps you build muscle (in the long run, this is what you want--muscle. It burns more calories at rest than fat).

Good luck!!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    To keep your deficit where MFP put it.

In general it's not recommended to lose more than 2 lbs/week. Eating more than a 1000 calorie deficit (or less, if you're already pretty slim) can result in your body both cutting energy expenditures and starting to chew up muscle instead of the fat you really want to get rid of. MFP has given you enough of a deficit for you to lose without any exercise at all.

The exercise, of course, has many other benefits besides just weight loss, including better health overall and better muscle tone.

If you don't want to eat exercise calories, use a different calorie calculator which takes your exercise into account and manually input your calorie number.

Edited: Also, http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Try the search feature. This is discussed almost daily.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Because unlike many other calorie-counting plans, MFP doesn't take count the calories you SAY you'll burn when they give you a calorie goal. That goal already includes the calorie deficit you'd need to lose weight without any exercise at all. MFP only adds the calories AFTER you log the exercise.

When you exercise, that creates a larger calorie deficit. Too large of a calorie deficit is not a good thing. One would think that it would simply mean you'd lose weight faster, but for many people it means that your body doesn't have enough fuel. Without enough fuel you may have low energy, you may lose muscle mass, you may slow your metabolism, etc.

So another site may tell you to eat 1800 calories, assuming you'll exercise for 30 minutes a day and burn 300 calories. MFP would tell you to eat 1500, then when you burn that 300 calories, your new goal would be 1800. The same end result, but a different way of getting there.

And... exercise calories taste better and make you sexier.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

love this :flowerforyou:
  • QuintinV
    QuintinV Posts: 28
    Options
    To keep your deficit where MFP put it.

In general it's not recommended to lose more than 2 lbs/week. Eating more than a 1000 calorie deficit (or less, if you're already pretty slim) can result in your body both cutting energy expenditures and starting to chew up muscle instead of the fat you really want to get rid of. MFP has given you enough of a deficit for you to lose without any exercise at all.

The exercise, of course, has many other benefits besides just weight loss, including better health overall and better muscle tone.

If you don't want to eat exercise calories, use a different calorie calculator which takes your exercise into account and manually input your calorie number.

Edited: Also, http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

This is hilarious!! Sending link to all my friends haha
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Somebody 'splain to me like I'm 6.

Because we say so. And that's it, no more discussion :tongue:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

You win! :laugh:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options

That is what the OP asked for.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options

great explanation! thanks! (-:
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Haha, thanks Mom! :)

OK, I guess I understand it now. I still don't like it....sigh
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Because if MFP gives you 1200 calories for a day - 400 calories burned during exercise = 800 NET calories. Net calories are the actual number of calories you're giving your body to function on and let me tell you that 800 is far too low (for most people). If you were to eat back another 400 calories, your net is now right where MFP told you to be - 1200. You've consumed 1600 TOTAL calories, but you burned off 400 of those calories, sooooo.. your NET would be 1200.

And let me tell you that nearly ALL people think a larger deficit = quicker weight loss when in reality too large of a deficit = stalled or stopped weight loss. You HAVE to eat enough in order for your body to lose weight. End of story.

Here's the numbers without the words:

1200-400=800+400=1200.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You may want to, you may not want to... there is no 1 right answer as it depends on how you set your daily calorie goal.

To lose weight you need to be in a healthy caloric deficit. There are 2 ways to accomplish that:

1) Set your daily caloric intake at a deficit
    This is what most people do, and is how MFP is designed to work. You figure out your daily caloric need then set your calorie goal lower than that. For example.. if your daily caloric need is 1800, you might set your daily calorie goal to 1400. That puts you in a caloric deficit and you will start to lose weight*. When you exercise you burn additional calories. These burned calories are not accounted for in your daily need or the calorie goal you set based on that need. So exercising increases that caloric deficit. The thing to watch here is how big that deficit gets. Every body responds differently, but the larger the deficit the worse it is for your body (the assumption is that the larger the deficit gets the harder it is to properly fuel your body). And this is why people recommend eating back exercise calories.

2) Use exercise to create the deficit
    With this method you set your daily caloric intake to equal your daily caloric need. Then you exercise and burn calories. Those burned calories are not accounted for when you set your daily goal equal to your daily need, and thus you end up in a deficit. The size of that deficit is dependent on your workouts. You burn 75cals walking the dog and your deficit is 75 cals. You burn 500 cals running and the deficit is 500.

*This is VERY simiplified and makes A LOT of assumptions, but is good enough for this conversation.

As with everything, there is some variance here. Every body resonds differently to diet, exercise, nutrition, etc. so there is some trial and error required to find your body's "sweet spot". Pick one of the above methods, do it for a couple of months and see what happens. Then you can make a couple of subtle changes here and there, do that for a month or two and see if you body responds better or worse. But always start with one of the above methods, then go from there.

One of the biggest problems I see is people mixing elements/strategies from different programs. They want to use MFP's calorie calculations with weight watcher's zero point foods combined with what they heard from their coworker's brother's personal trainer. It doesn't work that way. Unless you really understand the ins and outs of nutrition and exercise (and if you did we wouldn't be having this conversation), you need to pick ONE method and do it. Don't mix them up, don't do a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Pick one, commit to one.
  • teesams21
    teesams21 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks everyone for confirming! That is what I thought myself but nice to hear and not second guessing. :-)
  • denisecc
    denisecc Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My Doctor and Dietician both say you don't eat back your calories you work off.
  • clairabell2024
    clairabell2024 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ill probably get some back lash for this... i dont eat back all of my exercise calories, sometimes i will but most of the time i dont!

Do what feels right for you, but please do not starve yourself. :-)

Good Luck!

xx
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I just clicked on this....funny! *giggle* :)
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Try the search feature. This is discussed almost daily.

this is what I was going to say. you can find hundreds of threads on this same topic.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Somebody 'splain to me like I'm 6. I thought the point of exercise was to BURN the calories, why on earth would I want to cancel that out?

Essentially you chose a weekly weight loss goal, MFP gave you a caloric target to hit that. That is what you need to eat if you don't workout to lose your goal amount of weight, once you exercise you need to eat more to have the same caloric deficit to hit your weekly weight loss goal.

As an example your day to day requirements are like a tank of gas. if you use a tank of gas/week going to and from work, then if you go on any extra trips or errands you will need to add more gas in order to have enough gas to get to work for the rest of the week. So if you need 1200 for day to day stuff (you will lose weight with 1200 cals and no exercise), then when you do extra (workout) you need to put more calories in your body.