NSV!!! Completed Half Marathon

Options
The subject line says it all. I completed my first ever half marathon on Sunday!!!! I did not walk at any point and my hill training allowed me to do the 2 decent size hills with little difficulty. First 10 miles were fine and once I hit the 10 mile mark, I said to myself, "Now you just have to run a 5K" and I picked up the speed and was passing people from there on. I am totally pumped. I wasn't concerned with time, just finishing. But, I had kinda wanted to do it in 2.5 hours and I did it in 2 hours and 23 minutes!!!! I can't wait to get back on the road tomorrow, after a few days of forcing myself to recover (still worked out just no real running).

This is a big NSV for me, especially considering I have Fibromyalgia and a really bad left knee (2 surgeries and arthritis and damage in the joint) and have listened in the past and even recently to people, including other personal trainers, tell me that I could NOT do this. Well..........................I can and I did and the next step is 26.2!!

I did this for me but I also did it SO THAT anyone who is reading this can know that there are no excuses and no one can ever tell you that you can't do something..... SO THAT you can know that if I can do it, so can you.

Replies

• letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    awesome awesome! This is def. one of my long term goals....but I absolutely loathe running
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! :drinker: :flowerforyou: I hope to be able to do a post like this some time this year!
    Thanks for sharing the inspiration!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • bluetiger
    bluetiger Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That is such an amazing accomplishment! You have definitely inspired me. I did my first 5k last weekend, but I walked most of it. My next goal is to run the whole thing. THANKS!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I just started training for a half and your story is very inspirational. Great job! :drinker:
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    AWESOME! :drinker: :flowerforyou: I hope to be able to do a post like this some time this year!
    Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

Thanks so much! If you want to do it, you can do it with the right training.
    Any runners, experienced or just starting out, feel free to add me. If i can help at all....... or learn..... I'd love to. Send me a message that you saw me on this post, so I know. :)
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    That is such an amazing accomplishment! You have definitely inspired me. I did my first 5k last weekend, but I walked most of it. My next goal is to run the whole thing. THANKS!

AWESOME!!!! :)
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Nice!!!! Great job finishing.

I completed my first on Saturday too :) It's so interesting to hear different people's experiences because I was find the first 11+ miles and the last couple were hell for me-- certainly wasn't zooming past anyone LOL. I found it to be such a great experience I might sign up for another in May. Good work and hope you continue training too-- it was so much fun!!!
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    That is super terrific! How long did you train for that? And I see NSV all the time but what does it mean? Dumb question I know. haha
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Good job! I ran my first half on Sunday at Va Beach! Ran the whole 13.1 miles! At mile 8 I told myself it was just an 8k from here..lol. At mile 10...I said..its just a 5k from here! lol. I finished in 2:33:14 :) Next half is in 2 months :)
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yay! Congrats to you :)

I'm doing my first half (planning on running/walking combo) in May, and this post is great inspiration. Thanks!
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Thats Awesome - Congrats on the time!!!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Congratulations and that's an awesome finish time! Way to go! I finished my first half a couple weeks ago.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That is super terrific! How long did you train for that? And I see NSV all the time but what does it mean? Dumb question I know. haha

NSV = non scale victory
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Great job! And congrats on beating your goal time!
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Congratulations!! That rocks...

I'm hoping to be able to say this in May after my first... my training is going slow, but I have about 9 weeks to go and I think I'll make it... :)

Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Great work! Way to make things happen and not let things get in your way !
  • sassafrasy
    sassafrasy Posts: 113
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. My first half marathon (26 hills!) is in 10 days and I'm nervous!!!! My longest run will be 10 miles this weekend thus far. This is inspiring to me. Thank you for posting. still biting my nails though. yikes!
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    That is sooo awesome!!! Do you have any tips? How do you train for hill running? I am doing my first half-marathon on May 5th and I heard the couse is hilly. Congratulations! What an awesome feeling; I can only imagine! Until May 5th! :wink:
  • cPT_Helice
    Options

NSV is Non Scale Victory. I have been seriously running for a couple of years. Before that, I would just run as part of cardio. I did a specific 9 week training plan through Runners World for the half. My long run was at 10-11 miles, when I started and it required it be at 5. So, it was all good. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!