Does running more make you want to eat more?

Options
:laugh: I've been slowly increasing my running distances and I swear I feel like I am hungry all the time. My weight is flip flopping back and forth a few lbs and I've been eating every 3 hours but recently it seems like I am always hungry and I don't want to put on extra pounds.

Replies

• kenne
    kenne Posts: 13
    Options
    Any kind of exercise makes me hungry!

I saw an article in Flex magazine quoting a study. Unless you are a professional athlete eating there is no benefit to eating more than three times a day. A lot of people say it is to keep your blood sugars constant, according to the article it is a myth.

That said, I eat 4-5 times a day and not sure I will change. Advice is always changing. Do what works for you.
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    This is SOOO what I am going through right now. I'm hoping it's just that time of month because I'm usually not this hungry all the time! My weight also goes up and down by 3lbs constantly, it's driving me nuts! I am eating every three hours also, making sure to include protein and good fats (cottage cheese, almonds, fruit, veggies etc.) For some reason I am a bottomless pit when it's time for dinner. Ahhh! Sorry I am absolutely no help!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Actually I'm the opposite. If I don't exercise I get the dumb munchies. If I run hard or play ball or something, it's quite the appetite surpressent. My parents would always get worried about me when I was in high school and we would have basketball two-a-days during the summer, because I had to force myself to eat after about 5 hours of practice.
  • Tres115
    Tres115 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I run marathons and it seemed like after every long run i would be 5 to 10 pounds heavier. Someone recommended that i start eating non-processed foods and the weight fluctuation would stop. I did not believe it, but i tried it and it is true. Changing what i eat has lead to the end of the weight fluctuation. Now i just have to figure out how to lose weight while training.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I find intially while I am working out (running or any other cardio activity) my hunger is suppressed. But boy not long after my workout I am ready to chew my arm off!:laugh:
  • HipsLipsMama
    Options
    Chalene Johnson (the creator of turbo jam) says that exercising actually supresses appetite.
    BUT i think it all depends on you and what your diet is like. are you getting enough calories daily for your body and energy expended? go to www.freedieting.com and use the daily calorie needs calculator on the left.. also calorie cycling or zig zagging can help get you out of a yoyo weight loss/gain.
    and WHAT you are eating is also a factor. processed, salty, sugary foods will make you more hungry while whole foods like fruits and veggies fill you up. i recently started eating really "clean".. like 2 bananas, 2 apples and a lunch of brown rice and fish for lunch..thats usually all i eat at work and i am not hungry! sometimes i will add in another piece of fruit or some mini carrots and hummus. when you eat like this you will lose weight because your body knows how to process it. be sure to avoid foods with salt and sugar added.
    hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Odekwe
    Odekwe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I run marathons and it seemed like after every long run i would be 5 to 10 pounds heavier. Someone recommended that i start eating non-processed foods and the weight fluctuation would stop. I did not believe it, but i tried it and it is true. Changing what i eat has lead to the end of the weight fluctuation. Now i just have to figure out how to lose weight while training.
    Good to know. I just ran my first half last Saturday and was up 4 lbs afterwards. I was out of town and ate out more than I care to, so I know that is part of the problem. Today is the first day I'm back to eating less processed foods. I feel a ton better and I'm sure my weight will balance out by the end of the week. It sucks having my diet ticker read 0 lbs lost, though.