Running with iodine issues

Options
Hey all,

So I've yet to find anyone with my problem, but hopefully there is someone here who might know what to do.

I want to run a 5k with a group of friends this summer but, honestly, I'm terrified to run. This is because I have hypothyroidism and when I run, I overproduce iodine and it feels and tastes like a spiky ball is lodged in my throat, ripping it up from the inside. It's scratchy and painful in my throat and tongue, and I taste blood. It also becomes extremely difficult for me to breathe after just a short distance.

My meds haven't fixed it even though I'm on the highest dose I can handle, and I know it's not a matter of dehydration because I always make sure to carry my water bottle with me, especially when exercising. I don't know if there's a way to build up to running so I can overcome this, but if anyone is in my situation, I would really appreciate your insight.

Thanks!

Replies

• rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    Bump?
  • rhichi
    Options
    As a note, I can walk just fine (I've done walkathons for years). The problem only arises when I start to up my speed and heartrate.
  • christypaxson
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism, and I have the same issue. I was hospitalized for myxedema coma and rhabdomyolosis in 2009.

I haven't found a cure all for it. I did however, find that controlling my breathing and slowing down when I need to helps. I have a tendency to blow up like a balloon while I'm working out and normally have to drink a lot of water to quench it, then end up with the water stomach cramp, over heated and flushed. Felt like there was no hope!

I would talk to your doctor about vitamin supplements, (our body has an impaired ability to break down beta carotene to convert it to Vit. A), zinc supplements, Omegs 3, and B3, I take them and they help me tremendously! I do have to continue with blood work, and watch the medications I do take, that can cause other side effects and sometimes adverse reactions. I do have to watch my iodine, sodium, and cholesterol intake.

I'm not a DR. and I would suggest just talking with your endochronologist to see what your options may be. I didn't go to one for years and was being treated by just my family doctor. That was where one of my biggest mistakes appeared (they can only look at bloodwork and prescribe levothyroxine or synthroid). Hope this at least helped a little bit and best of luck too you!
  • rhichi
    Options
    Thanks, Christy! It's nice to know I'm not alone out there (and yeah, I get the bloating too, so I know what you mean about feeling like a balloon). I take a few vitamins (both for thyroid/vitamin D issues and because I'm a vegetarian), but I am not nearly as good about taking them regularly as I should be. I will try to be more fastidious in keeping up with them and see if that, combined with allowing myself to rest, helps.
  • christypaxson
    Options
    Good Luck to you!! Your welcome ;)