Calories burned doing nothing

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
http://health.yahoo.com/other-other/calories-burned/healthwise--calc001.html

Banks posted this on a different thread, Thanks!!

For those of us who find it hard to eat our exercise calories, or eat more than the 1200 lowest we should go, this is VERY informative.

I am 137 lbs and sitting at a desk typing for 24 hours would burn almost 2500 calories!!
Sleeping for 24 hours 1500 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am keeping this handy for the days I feel like I shouldn't eat. Your body NEEDS fuel to do the least of things.

Again, Thanks Steve!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The algorithms that they use to calculate calories burned are quite generic and don't really take into account extra elements. Though they are still a great guide, however, I found the GoWearFit to be a much more accurate source for knowing exactly how many calories, I specifically am burning throughout the days. It definitely varies from day to day, but if you want to know exactly what you burn,( as I even found through the armband, I was burning 30% more calories then my treadmill was telling me I was) a calorie counter is an excellent tool to have at your disposal. I'd definitely recommend one!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    That type of equipment is wonderful, but very expensive. I looked into a body bug and :noway:

Thats 2 weeks of food or a car payment.

Certainly these sites are a general idea of calories burned, but it gives us an idea of what the body needs to function.

So many ppl (myself included) screw up their metabolism by cutting calories too low, for too long.

It was an eye opener for me to see a general idea of what is burned doing regular day to day stuff.

I will check out gowearfit

:flowerforyou: