Healthy quick starchy sides??

Options
Izanami66
Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
Hello everyone! I'm loving adjusting my meals to fit in with MFP goals, but I'm having trouble on busy nights. I have plenty of main course ideas, and for vegetables, we usually have a quick salad or steamed veggies. However, when it comes to the starchy side, my quick options are mac n' cheese (my weakness), baked beans (which I guess aren't too bad) or Lipton pre-packaged rice sides. I'm trying to stay away from processed crap as much as I can, but it's been hard considering I'm dancing three evenings a week. Any ideas for quick, healthy, carbohydrate sides would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Replies

• FiterellaKaren
    FiterellaKaren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try whole grain Quinoa. I make a big batch all at once and keep it in the refrigerator and portion out as I need it...just microwave to heat it up. It's gluten free and has a slightly nutty flavor, it's a great substitute for rice or couscous. High protein, good source of fiber and contains B vitamins and iron.
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Baked potato with 2 tbsp of sour cream is my go to dinner starch!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Far East brand has boxed Cous Cous with different flavors, but the sodium is pretty high... You can always microwave or bake a regular potato or sweet potato, maybe? Chickpeas are full of protein and taste starchy. Honestly I have given up adding a starch to dinner in lieu of more vegetables and lean protein. I try to throw extra veggies in everything I cook.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you need the carbohydrates, try to make them whole grain. Try whole grain pasta or bread. Brown rice is good. Sweet potatoes or red skin potatoes (cleaned with skin left on). Try cooking your pasta, rice, and potatoes in chicken stock to add flavor without adding lots of calories.
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. All good ideas. I love baked potatoes, but they just take too long when I don't get home until 9ish! What do you add to your quinoa for flavor? I've been wanting to try it, but I'm just not sure what to throw in so it's not bland. I love Far East couscous. Maybe I'll pick up a couple boxes of the whole grain variety. I like the idea of doubling veggies to sub for a starch, but my bf is a bit of a "must have veggie and starchy sides" kinda guy, so gotta keep him happy (and healthy) too! :wink: Thanks!
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    canned black beans
    corn is also starchy
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    we love roasted red potatoes. Just cut them up and they'll cook faster :-)
  • ronajocamp
    Options
    you can cook your quinoa in chicken broth as well or just do a bit of olive oil and some balsalmic vinegar and chill with veggies for a cold go to salad.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    bump.. bring MORE ideas!! LOL
  • Welshcakes
    Welshcakes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm totally seconding the couscous idea. It takes 5 minutes to make. AND it's delicious.
  • rrhennen
    rrhennen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I 99.9% of the time cook potatos in the microwave when we have them!

Quinoa, cook in broth/stock for added flavor. Otherwise just a touch of sea salt is all I need.
    Farro, again, can cook in broth/stock
    sweet potato
    Whole grain or ezekial bread, toasted and a light smear of real butter
  • xafricanqueen07x
    xafricanqueen07x Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I usually just wash a sweet potato, and pop it in the microwave, its a good starch, it fills you up and its amazing. I dont' put any salt on it, and if I'm feeling naughty I may put a dash of butter :)
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If you like baked potatoes, but don't want to wait for them in the oven. Cook them in the microwave. Wash the spuds, stab them with a fork a few times, wrap them in a paper towel and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side! They come out so creamy and delicious!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    A "baked" potato doesn't need to take long. poke some holes it in and throw it in the microwave for 4 minutes. Done.

Also, get those little mini potatoes, throw them in a steamer - 10 minutes done!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. All good ideas. I love baked potatoes, but they just take too long when I don't get home until 9ish! What do you add to your quinoa for flavor? I've been wanting to try it, but I'm just not sure what to throw in so it's not bland. I love Far East couscous. Maybe I'll pick up a couple boxes of the whole grain variety. I like the idea of doubling veggies to sub for a starch, but my bf is a bit of a "must have veggie and starchy sides" kinda guy, so gotta keep him happy (and healthy) too! :wink: Thanks!

microwave your baked potato! :) Poke a couple holes in it, throw it in for a minute or two, flip over and do the same thing. Tastes great! :) I use greek yogurt on mine in place of sour cream :)
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Try whole grain Quinoa. I make a big batch all at once and keep it in the refrigerator and portion out as I need it...just microwave to heat it up. It's gluten free and has a slightly nutty flavor, it's a great substitute for rice or couscous. High protein, good source of fiber and contains B vitamins and iron.

I like this too -- but found if I made it with some chicken broth instead of just straight water, I loved it even more. My kids even like it (SCORE)!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    POTATOEESSSSS

and couscous. or brown rice pilaf (NOTICE I SAID PILAF-I like the Near/Far East Brand, it cooks faster and tastes better :smile: )
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Buy a ten pound bag of baked potatoes.
    Stab one with fork vigorously.
    Stick it in your microwave for 6 minutes.
    Apply sour cream (pretty low in calories, actually).
    Enjoy.

Honestly, how is that "taking too long?" You want something that cooks in under 6 minutes?!?!

You obviuosly didn't grow up in my family, we had potatoes EVERY night. :) Mom's mashed potatoes were my fave!!

Sweet potatoes are better though, if you want, you can slice them like potatoes chips, apply olive oil and garlic powder, and put in oven for 20 mins at 250. Even better (and healthier), but more labor intensive.

Another tip: busy cook's best friend = PRESSURE COOKER. :)
  • mmm_e
    mmm_e Posts: 10
    Options
    I 99.9% of the time cook potatos in the microwave when we have them!

^ this... it is much faster! :smile:

Here is a nice, quick and easy recipe!
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/microwave-baked-potato/
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes!