Help! How can I work out and lose weight with an injury?

Options
cschiff
cschiff Posts: 209 Member
Hello! I have about 30 lbs to lose, but the problem is I must have injured my knee at some point without realizing it. Now, every time I work out I have extreme pain in my knee and I can't seem to make it go away. This has been a problem for about a month. I have tried doing lighter cardio, like the elliptical, which is supposed to be easier on the joints than the treadmill, but even that is causing me great pain. This is also a problem when I do most lower body strength training exercises...

Can anyone offer me advice about what to do?

Replies

• jstaff87
    jstaff87 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have seen people at the gym with knee braces working their upper body with weights and their abs by sitting on one of those large inflatable balls and resting their hurt leg as if sitting in a chair. I'm not a doctor or a fitness expert though...I would def. call your doctor and ask what they suggest. Usually they have nurses there that can answer ?s for you. Or otherwise maybe ask a trainer at your local gym.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor about the pain in your knee if it's been bothering you for a month. You may have torn something that could require a repair. (Happened to me in high school.)
  • cjwalker81
    cjwalker81 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on my knee a year ago. It was torn up really bad. I still have lots of trouble with it as well. I think I may have re-injured it as well. :(
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    hi i too have had problems with my right leg and hip, my doctor recommended aquazises which I absolutely love, and also the stationery back, keep away from the treadmill. I just had some corozone shots and am hoping that they help, I know how frustrating it is, I love to walk and have been limited as my leg gives way but I keep trying. My doctor also told me that I should avoid stairs which is very hard to do. I feel for you and feel like such a baby sometimes
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Something similar to this maybe? Cardio workout for your upper body.

http://www.amazon.com/MagneTrainer-ER-Mini-Exercise-Bike/dp/B000V2IT78
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    First. Call your doctor and have him/her look at it. Take it from someone who thought pushing through the pain was a good idea. All I ended up with was a stress fracture in my hip. So, please.. take it seriously. Pain is your body's way of telling you something isn't right. Listen to it.

You can still go to the gym and workout - simply work your upper body. You could try the bike if you wanted, but I would talk to your doctor FIRST.

Good Luck!
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Obviously, first see a doctor. That said, I have a foot injury, so can't do a lot of traditional cardio exercises and have been using boxing to fill in. I use my kids' Wii boxing program, or I just box in place. I also looked at some seated cardio videos online, but didn't order them, so can't endorse--but if the problem persists, you might check those options out. If you have access to a pool, swimming might be a good option. Good luck!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    for cardio you can work up quite a sweat with some punches, and there are a few different styles so it isn't quite as boring as it sounds...
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    If you've been having pains for several weeks, you really need to get to a doctor! Just in case you did something serious to it. More than a week is usually a sign to see a doctor for any kind of pain.

Focus on upper body workouts for now. I have a bad knee and a worse ankle (opposite legs). Crutching around really helped my upper body a lot! Seek the help of a fellow gym-mate (I find they are a lot friendlier than they look most of the time), and start working your upper body. Get all big and buff there while you wait for your knee to heal. And be extra careful with your eating. I also find the recumbent bikes a lot easier on my knees, if your gym has those.

Edit - I absolutely love my arms from lifting heavy weights! Nice and trim, and muscular!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Swimming?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    First. Call your doctor and have him/her look at it. Take it from someone who thought pushing through the pain was a good idea. All I ended up with was a stress fracture in my hip. So, please.. take it seriously. Pain is your body's way of telling you something isn't right. Listen to it.

You can still go to the gym and workout - simply work your upper body. You could try the bike if you wanted, but I would talk to your doctor FIRST.

Good Luck!

Agree 100%. See a doctor! You can't self diagnose, nor can anyone else here on the boards. Your doctor has the expertise, and the facilities to do that. Then follow his guidance to prevent permanent injury. You might have to bite the bullet and not do anything for a while - yes even upper body!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool start there. You can get in a carido workout in with little impact on the joints. Also try doing your exercises in the pool the water resistance is great to lower the impact, and you can get weights at your local pool supply company.

If you do not have a pool invest in a knee brace and do super sets on the wieght training. This will help get your heat rate up while you are building muscle. Also strengthing the muscle around the knees will help with the joint pain, but you need to be very careful with the type of exercises you do. Consult a doctor or a physical therapist to get the exercises that are right for you.

If you have not seen a doctor yet, please call one. You want to make sure you did not tear some the ligiments in your knee.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I had started running again last year after many (like 20!) years off, and had an overuse injury to my knee. The dr said to stop running for several months, and it healed up. It was very discouraging as I was making good progress, but I did alot of boxing
    with my punching bag (or you can air box), "walking" down the street with crutches and lifting with dumb bells. I managed to still lose weight, just had to be a bit more careful with my calorie intake for a few weeks. Feel better soon...it's such a pain to have a bum knee!
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I will ask my doctor. It just feels so hopeless. Because there does not "appear" to be anything wrong I keep thinking that maybe it's just because I am overweight in the first place and that the extra weight is placing stress on my joints. That's why I keep trying to lose weight-- I'm thinking maybe if I lose some of the weight, the pain will be relieved. It's just actually getting the motivation to stick with a plan when it seems to take so long. I really need to do this for myself, and I need to figure out how to find the motivation to lose the weight I need to lose and to not injure myself!!

Thanks for all your input, more is always welcome! I love these conversation boards.