Starvation Mode Anyone? Need advice ASAP!

Okay, I work out 5-6 times a week (Zumba, weightlifting and jogging - one hour each time). I am eating healthy and drinking tons of water (NOTHING BUT WATER). Have had my thyroid tested and it's normal (all my blood work was excellent.) Yet I am not only NOT LOSING WEIGHT, but I seem to be gaining slowly, like 10 lbs in the last 6 months. I have been told I may be eating too few calories and be going into starvation mode. Looking for advice - here are my stats:

35 yr old female
185 lbs
5 feet 8 inches tall
Eating 1200-1400 cals per day - mostly veg and protein, but some whole grains too.

I found an RMR calcuator online and it said my RMR is 2,492. It then said I need a 15% defecit to lose 2 lbs a week which = 375 calories. So does that mean my RMR should be 2117 (2492-374=2117)? And that I should be eating that many calories each day?? Seems so high but I am working my TAIL OFF and not seeing ANY results AT ALL. So could starvation mode be the culprit here?

Please share your thoughts, after a year of this "plateau" I am getting desperate! Thank you!

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Sounds like you need to increase your calories a bit. Not sure 15% would equal 2lb though! I'd try increasing gradually, like 100-200 per week till you get to 2000 and see how you fare at that. Once you reach 2000, give it a few weeks before you make an adjustment as you body has got used to such low amount, it will think this 2000 won't last and might increase your weight to begin with.

One thing - if your 2100 includes exercise calories, don't add them onto MFP, or at least don't eat them back. You'll be eating too much if you do. However, if it doesn't, then you should eat at least half of them back so the deficit isn't too big.