You let your kids eat what??

Options

Replies

• cheykota
    cheykota Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have four kids, and they eat what I cook. I have never believed in making multiple meals, but I don't force them to eat. If they don't like the food, they are welcome to wait until the next meal to eat. I can assure you that none of my kids turns down the food provided to them. It's a long time until breakfast if they are too picky to eat dinner, and they know how hungry they will be. They aren't going to starve to death if they choose not to eat. I educate my children about why I choose to eat like I do, and I choose to feed them the same foods because I want them to be healthy. I don't keep junk food in the house, but I don't forbid them from eating "bad" foods. When they are with friends or visiting family members, they get to choose what they put in their bodies. They know that most foods are okay in moderation, and they usually make pretty good choices.
  • ahersh00
    ahersh00 Posts: 85
    Options
    This isn't answering the OP question...but... Annie's makes some tasty organic "kid friendly" food... at least it's organic! =)
  • Sleekit
    Sleekit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat what my mother gave me she would serve it up to me for my next meal. I'm not a parent, so I'm probably going to get flamed here, but when did parents start pandering to kids like this? I'm just curious, did the parents of this generation do that? Mine didn't and certainly the previous generation couldn't afford to.

Agreed. My parents were the same. And are STILL the same. They served one meal for everyone. Granted, it was usually a healthy meal that was balanced. But if all I wanted to eat was a giant pile of mashed potatoes, I would not get to. It had to be everything or most of what my mother or father put on my plate. I don't think you need to feel bad for giving you kid KD or something every once in a while. It is not going to kill them or make them obese as long as it is not what your feeding them for every meal every day. Kids need a lot of physical activity too-- lots more than the average gets. So keep that in mind when you are trying to set an example. Try doing active things that are good for your health AND theirs!

- Not a parent, but an Early Childhood Educator
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I guess I was a strange kid. Chocolate was my only weakness. I'm not saying I ate really healthy all the time, but my mom never even had to ask me to eat my veggies. I loved broccoli and carrots. She did burn me out on chicken, but I ate it because that was what we were having. No discussion or other choices available.
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means a parent, but when I am a parent I'm not going to be the careless kind that fixates bad eating habits from the beginning. My parents are definitely guilty of this. Up until I was 16 I was eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and never exercising. And I resented my parents for not having better choices in the house and getting me involved in sports or a gym. We were a lazy family. I understand that kids deserve treats, so of course it wouldn't be nice to rid of these one hundred percent, but a balance of healthy foods and snacks is perfect to break the bad habits from the start. When it comes to dinner, I would ideally think one meal is perfect. If it's tasty and healthy enough for you, it should suffice for your child. After all, I'm sure they've had a processed snack or two throughout the day, a healthy meal won't kill them and it will condition them to enjoy the healthy meals they're consuming. Just a thought :)
  • skatters
    skatters Posts: 48
    Options
    There are a 100 different opinions on this topic, but I'll tell you how I handle it. I have 3 kids to feed - 11yr, 17yr, and 21yr old. First off, I decided to never make food a battle. The kids have free access to the healthy snacks... variety of fruits and vegetables and protein sources, like cottage cheese, string cheese, boiled eggs and yogurts. I try to make sure there is plenty available to chose from. My kids have their different hunger levels, and I don't want to limit or monitor foods - so they can have unlimited quantities. They can eat as much as they want - of those foods listed above. Instead of worrying about "bad" foods, we worry about the nutritional quality of different foods. "Hey son, there isn't alot of nutritional value in those doritos... make sure you pay attention to the serving size and save room for something more nutritious." "Bad" foods aren't bad... but I want my kids to be aware that they don't have much nutritional value, and to treat it as such.

When my kids were younger, I would make comments like "Oh wow, we are late for lunch - I bet your body is just screaming for some baby carrots right now!" "Your tongue may want chicken nuggets but your body wants a sweet apple - how can you get the two to compromise?" "I am going to bring cheese with us to the park, because I know you will need a snack and I want to give you something to help give your body more energy!" With one of my children, I pretended to listen to their wrist, and their body would "tell" me what it needed. "Oh boy - your body says it needs vegetables!! Let's hurry and go chose one!"

One of my favorite sayings now, with older children is "Looks like you are slowing down. Is your body saying it's had enough?" I point out to them when they are uncomfortable from eating too much, and remind them of it at other appropriate times. And never, ever do I tell them to finish what's on their plate. In my house, it's ok to waste food. Better the extra calories go in the garbage rather than on your body.

As they got older, it got easier. I am able to reason with them more. I try to cook or serve two fruits or vegetables every meal, usually a salad and some steamed veggies. I *try* not to be a short order cook. I am aware of the kids' preferences, so I try to have one fruit or veggie that they like.

I try to make the fruits and veggies as easy to eat as possible. I cut the watermelon into bite sized chunks. I wash the apples and grapes before putting them away. Cut up cauliflower, broccoli, and celery. Make it ready to go. I have also learned that if I take steps at meal times to make it easy for them, they eat it. If I tell the "salad is in the fridge" they don't bother to get it out. If all the fixins are on the counter, they help themselves.

We haven't always been good about our portions - so now it is a game to find your correct portion! Guess how much a half cup of ice cream is! If I win, you'll try those brussell sprouts I am going to cook tomorrow. If you win, you get to chose the radio station in the car next errand out. They are good at this, and we have made it all kinds of fun! The kids love playing with the scale.

The scale and the very basics of nutrition can be a learning experience for small children. Let them look at the numbers on the scale. Let them add and subtract food to get to different numbers. Have a "vitamin/nutrient of the week" game... where you teach the bare basics "Vitamin A is good for the eyes! Let's look online or on packages with thing with Vitamin A" Or you can make a meal with Vitamin A rich foods.

And last but not least, with very small children, I always insisted they put a spoonful of each meal foods on their plate. Quinoa? Just a spoonful, so they can get used to the foreign look of it. I have found a few times of this gets them to try it, eventually.

Good luck!!
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i try to encourage healthy eating with my kids. my 3yr old is not interested in eating dinner so have cut out afternoon tea and offer him vegetables at this time so he is learning to eat more at dinner.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My grandchildren live with me and the 3 year old girl will eat anything that doesn't eat her first. Whatever I eat, she figures it must be good or I wouldn't be eating it. The 5 year old wouldn't touch a vegetable when he first came. Now he loves salad, and will eat a variety of other vegetables. The other day they both scarfed down brussels sprouts without so much as a peep! They also love kale chips. I've discovered that any vegetable that will get crunchy in the oven is a big hit. They like broccoli florets cooked at 450 until they start to get crispy. They both like salmon. My daughter is not big into cooking or nutrition. When the kids moved in, they figured all meals must either come in a fast food bag or be delivered by the pizza guy. They switched over to real food a little at a time. And things that the boy wouldn't eat at first, are staples for him now. Just keep offering it to her, or talking about how good it is when you are eating it. Eventually you can win her over, one food item at a time.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My daughter gets the best healiest options we can afford for her. Snacks are fresh fruit and veggies, cheese, freeze dried or dehydrated fruits, homemade graonal or crackers,plain greek yogurt, whole wheat bread, etc. Everyday for breakfast she gets plain oatmeal w/ sprinkle of cinnimon and a scrambled egg (and raisins for the car ride ot daycare).
    We do not feed her anything with HFCS or PH-oils. We feed her (and ourselves) as clean as possible. Milk from cows not fed hormones, grass-fed beef, natural chicken and pork.
    Occasionally when we eat out (maybe once a week if we're lucky) she will get a "Treat" but by that I mean she gets the cleanest option at that resturaunt... and yes, chips and salsa when we go for Mexican (maybe once a month).

Today she has: bkft-oatmeal, egg, raisins,
    snack- oranges and mozzarella cheese
    lunch- grilled chicken, cornbread, steamed carrots and broccoli
    snack- pears and greek yogurt
    dinner- baked chicken, roasted mushrooms and steamed brown rice

This is basically the same things my husband and I eat! We rarely get to eat together during the week, but we are all eating nearly the same things! And if there's not enough for all of us to get "the good stuff", my munchkin gets fed first! If I won't put it in my body, I sure as HELL WON'T put it in my child's body!!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but If I did I think I would let them eat some of what they want mixed with some of what I want. For example, mac and cheese. I loved that as a kid and I still do. Annies makes an all organic macaroni and cheese that is a healthy alternative to the Kraft brand. If your daughter only likes that kind, just try adding some veggies to it or something to jazz it up with a healthy little twist. As your daughter gets older she will be more accepting to trying new foods. I can't really imagine a little kid eating quinoa or couscous etc lol. Good luck!
  • swall0810
    swall0810 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My 3 kids ages 2,3,6 eat what I do. If they are not taught at a young age to eat healthy they will not want to eat healthy when they are older. If they don't like what I fix, they eat it anyway. Most of the time they like everything I fix. I guess it also helps that most of my stuff is whole since my youngest has severe food allergies.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Our problem is getting enough calories in our kiddo. She's a picky eater. It's our fault, and not the point of this posting.

We don't really limit her access to any food, but she's got a very good habit of (a) asking before eating junk food, and (b) accepting a "no ice cream right now, but you can have a banana". Well, most of the time, anyhow.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I had to get my kid off chicken nuggets. You know, the frozen kind? I don't know if its Autism related, or what, but he wouldn't eat anything else. Ever. He would simply NOT EAT. For days.

Eventually, I just stopped buying them. We had a rough week, but he finally got off the nugget kick.

He's still beyond picky. There are plenty of night where he doesn't eat dinner. Gotta pick your battles!

Haha, they'll eat eventually! No kid will actually starve themselves.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    The only thing my mom would switch out would be a vegetable. They like spinach but I don't. Instead I might have lima beans instead, or corn. But she'd never make a whole different meal.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    lol:smile: some nights my oldest will eat what we do, other nights are "hunger strike" nights where if its not one of "her foods" wich are:: raw veggies,corn(cooked), french fries, chickens strips, fish sticks, fruit, and or greek yogurt......also the color pink.....cant figure out the last one tho.. she will throw a HUGE tantrum and ither end up going to bed early or gets her fav, a veggie tray with yogurt...:smile:
  • woopidydoo
    woopidydoo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My parents never made me eat anything I didn't want to eat and I appreciated it. I've never liked meat (I'm vegan now) and my mom (she fed me mostly) never forced the issue. I never liked eggs or milk, either. She would just cook things we all could tolerate. Lucky for me. I remember when I was around 8 I went to my aunt's house and they cooked hamburgers with little like I guess hard balls of fat in the meat.. and I wouldn't eat it. OMG, they were so mad and called me ungrateful.

This thread reminds me of Mommie Dearest where the mom was trying to feed her daughter rare steak. I totally felt sorry that little girl lol.
  • sandee13
    sandee13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yep. Totally agree. There is no well I want to eat this. There wasn't when I was a child and there surely is not with my own children. I too have had other parents comment on how do you get your children to each such and such. But I do not really understand the question but it is not an option. You eat what you are served period. This isn't a buffet.
  • sandee13
    sandee13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat what my mother gave me she would serve it up to me for my next meal. I'm not a parent, so I'm probably going to get flamed here, but when did parents start pandering to kids like this? I'm just curious, did the parents of this generation do that? Mine didn't and certainly the previous generation couldn't afford to.
    [
    Yep. Totally agree. There is no well I want to eat this. There wasn't when I was a child and there surely is not with my own children. I too have had other parents comment on how do you get your children to each such and such. But I do not really understand the question but it is not an option. You eat what you are served period. This isn't a buffet. /quote]
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My kids are pretty healthy eaters and aren't overly picky. They pretty much eat what I eat with a few small exceptions (and exceptions are one likes tomatoes and one doesn't). Because they are children and we are all human I do allow the occasional hotdog and boxed mac n cheese. When I make this for them I make my meal a salad. They both know why I don't eat the hotdog and mac n cheese I let them know those are sometimes foods. It seems to keep our house happy.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am very lucky my kid likes eveything but cottage cheese and applesauce. SO if i make he has to eat it. No if he dosnt like it for some reason he still needs to finish it but than i wil lnot mak that dish for a long whileadn try it again and make him try t agan as taste buds do change. But i am lucky he is not picky. I feel for you picky eaters as i use to be one as a child and my mom would make me a whole new supper so that is proably why i refuse to do that with my son.