MFP Runner's Club - May 17

Options
kechiemc
kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
Good morning:flowerforyou:

I ran for 57 minutes this morning.

I went out later than usual because I waited 2 hours for it to rain. After 2 hours, it wasn't raining so I headed out. When I was less than a mile away from home, it started pouring.:laugh:

I was feeling crazy for running while it was pouring rain. Then, I passed a couple running, another woman running alone, and a man running alone. Four other crazies!

Around mile 4, I'm running up a hill and I see my vehicle driving toward me. I thought I was seeing things. Then the vehicle stopped and it was actually my husband. (I always leave my running route on my pc.) When they heard the rain pouring, they thought I might want a ride home. Since it wasn't thundering or lightning, I declined. But how sweet is that!

Enjoy the day
-Kechie.

Replies

• runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    God morning Kechie:flowerforyou:
    Your husband sounds like a keeper. My ex would have been annoyed that I took an hour to go run in the first place.:laugh:
    Another 7.25 mles for me this morning
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I feel fabulous today.

runnerdad, thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate the help, I agree with you, I think I'll keep these pair of shoes for a little while longer.

Ketchie, wow, your husband is so sweet! And good for you for not taking the ride!

I only ran for about 35 mins today but I moved a little faster this time, and went a little further, so I'm slowly improving. I burned 354 cals so that was pretty good.

My husband is taking me to see Star Trek today so I'm stoked. :bigsmile: We're going out to eat but I feel confindent in my food choices.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    What a sweet husband!

No running for me today...day off...yeah!

Becky
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Finally back! Hip was aching so I took a week off and bought new shoes, hopefully that will help cure the ailment!

Anyway, 5 miles for me today........felt good too! :love:
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Well, I just ran the longest run yet. 6 miles!!!! I did it in 60:21. I had to stop 4 times to stretch my legs (think I was a little dehydrated), but I did it! A little slow, but I did it!! :happy: It's also got me thinking that i don't know if I can do a half marathon. 6 miles was surely difficult. I can only hope it gets easier, so I don't fizzle out.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    God morning Kechie:flowerforyou:
    Your husband sounds like a keeper. My ex would have been annoyed that I took an hour to go run in the first place.:laugh:
    Another 7.25 mles for me this morning

He is a good guy. We've been married for almost 15 years.

I'm glad to hear that your ex is your ex.:drinker: I think we should all spend some time doing something that we love to do even if that means time spent apart from our spouses or mates. I truly believe "absence makes the heart grow fonder." :laugh:
  • kechiemc
    Options

My husband is taking me to see Star Trek today so I'm stoked. :bigsmile: We're going out to eat but I feel confindent in my food choices.

We went last week. It was AWESOME.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Finally back! Hip was aching so I took a week off and bought new shoes, hopefully that will help cure the ailment!

Anyway, 5 miles for me today........felt good too! :love:

Welcome back!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Well, I just ran the longest run yet. 6 miles!!!! I did it in 60:21. I had to stop 4 times to stretch my legs (think I was a little dehydrated), but I did it! A little slow, but I did it!! :happy: It's also got me thinking that i don't know if I can do a half marathon. 6 miles was surely difficult. I can only hope it gets easier, so I don't fizzle out.

Way to go! If you covered 6 miles in 60:21 with 4 stops, I believe you can do it!

I would recommend focusing on your fuel and hydration plan (what you eat and drink the night before, the morning of, during the run, and after the run).

I would also recommend focusing on pacing yourself. Try to really hold yourself back during the first one to two miles. Try doing those at 10:30 - 11:00 minute mile pace. Your goal is to run non-stop over the 6 miles. So, conserve your energy up front so you can maintain your pace during the run and finish strong. No matter how far I run I always practice kicking to the finish line about the last 1/4 mile or so. Another way of thinking about the long run is to shoot for finishing the second half a little quicker than the first half.

Also, don't increase your long run distance too fast. The standard recommendation is 10% a week. So your long run next week would be about 6.5 miles.

Go Sonia Go! You can do it!
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Thanks Kechie!!! I think you must be one of the most positive people I know. No wonder your hubby treats you so well.--- So, when you run long distances, you don't stop at all.? I have been wondering if people stop at all during long runs and during the races.
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I walked the 3.2 mile 5K Race course today. It is a beautiful setting. I loved being outside today. Lots of people running today too which was nice!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kechie!!! I think you must be one of the most positive people I know. No wonder your hubby treats you so well.--- So, when you run long distances, you don't stop at all.? I have been wondering if people stop at all during long runs and during the races.
    I think for most people your goal is to maintain your pace over the entire distance without walk breaks. That said, there are lots of walk/run training programs out there with the theory that you will run better with the occasional break. I ran a half-marathon in December 07 that had a heat advisory (gotta love running in Florida) and I had a great race going for about 8 miles, then I got so over-heated, I had to take walk breaks to recover (Never thought about stopping:laugh: ) But I was surprised how much better I could run after a minute or so of walking, and actually maintained a better average pace than I was running while I was trying to tough it out without stopping. So, if you need a break, take one! We're not in the Olympics here, we're doing this for fun / health. I always walk my water stations during my races, partly for the recovery, and partly because I can drink the water faster / more easily if I am not trying to keep my pace up.
  • kechiemc
    Options

Thank you. You are so sweet.:love:

I do not stop at all. When I first started running two years ago, I would "need" to stop or take walk breaks. By practicing pacing and running long runs, you will learn to "rest on your feet". These days, if I accidentally go out too fast (which I still do), I have learned to slow my pace and rest while I keep moving.

If your route is hilly, the hills may be to blame. When you get to a hill during a long run, concentrate on maintaining your effort instead of your pace.

Now there is a whole other school of thought on walk breaks. The Galloway method which is run/walk a long run is very popular. It is a very successful program that has helped a lot of "average" people run a marathon.

It is whatever works best for you. I've seen people at every race doing both. I think the biggest thing is just that you are being active. I coach young girls and I always tell them if you are moving you are improving. They get so sick of me saying it but it is true!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to running Nicole!

I'm am like Kechie, I do not stop at all. I haven't ever been at a point where I needed to walk; when I feel like I may need to walk awhile, but can tell that it's nothing major, I usually just think about something else and get my mind off of it. I would definitely walk if it was something major like runnerdad said, overhearting or something similar.

My main goal is to keep on keeping on!:smile:

No run for me today - a day of rest :flowerforyou:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I rested today as well, I'm going to try to run bright and early in the a.m.