Dr. Oz 48 hr. Detox?

Options
anyone ever do this? the list seems pretty healthy way to cleanse.

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't do anything Dr Oz recommends.

You don't need to cleanse and him being a "doctor" should know that. When fed healthy, whole, fresh foods, lean meats, water and given exercise a body will cleanse itself. That's why we have a liver and kidneys.
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    What's in it and how does it work?
  • loreenkoby
    Options
    you can look it up on his website, there's a grocery list and recipes, it's all fresh whole foods
  • loreenkoby
    Options
    hey, I just noticed our tickers are the same! ha! Great minds.... now I have to catch up to your weight loss though :):wink:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

You don't need to cleanse and him being a "doctor" should know that. When fed healthy, whole, fresh foods, lean meats, water and given exercise a body will cleanse itself. That's why we have a liver and kidneys.

^ I agree with this.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In case you're wondering why the word "detox" gets a less than warm response sometimes is that it's a pretty meaningless word in the context of nutrition and is often used by 21st century snake oil merchants to pass off worthless products to an unsuspecting public.

Clean eating, whole foods = good

The reference to detox.....that's what your liver and kidneys do on a daily basis.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Funny, years ago before his popularity took off he did a several part series called The Truth about Food in conjunction with the Discovery Channel and the BBC about health fads. Oprah covered it on her show.

From Oprah's website: "On The Truth About Food, researchers created their own version of a detox diet, which incorporated common principles of the most popular detox diets. Then, it was time to put it to the test. At a country retreat, 10 women who say they party often—and pay the price—were divided into two groups. The first group was put on a detox program. To help researchers scientifically compare the results, the other group ate a normal diet.

Before the trial began, the urine and saliva of all of the women were tested to determine their levels of toxins. Another sample would be analyzed at the end of the week to see if the diet helped to flush the impurities from their systems.

Each day, the detox group followed a rigorous diet, starting the day with fresh vegetable juice with ingredients such as spinach, garlic and onions. Over the course of the week, this group drank beet root shakes and ate seaweed salad.

Meanwhile, the control group ate a hearty balanced diet of pasta, red meat, wine, coffee, chocolate and potato chips. At the end of the test, the women dropped off the last 24 hours' worth of urine and saliva for analysis.

The detox diet group didn't seem to be enjoying their food—was the sacrifice worth it? "It had no impact at all," Dr. Oz says. "I was surprised by this, because I really thought we'd see more of an effect."

Dr. Oz says the women involved in the experiment were generally healthy, even though they drank a bit more than they should and might not have been taking ideal care of themselves. "But what we did find was that the liver was doing the same things. You had the same kinds of toxicities," he says. "Because toxins that we get into our body go to our fatty tissues. They go to places like the liver and the brain. It takes more than 10 days to get them out."

Even though detox diets can't cleanse the body of toxins in such a short amount of time, Dr. Oz says these diets can be useful as a jump-start to healthier eating. "Now that you've moved to a whole new place in what you tolerate and expect in life, it's easier to go from there," he says." http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Oz-on-Food-Myths_1/16#ixzz1pmKqAM5G

So why he's now pushing a detox diet, I don't know. He's become quite the quack if you ask me.
  • loreenkoby
    Options
    ok then... {quietly walking away}
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options

^ I agree with this.

I second this! The body will rid all the toxins once you start eating clean.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Do i here a duck quacking. Oops, my bad. Dr. Oz was talking.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There is a quick and simple way to determine if something in the fitness/nutrition world is bs or not: If it's prefixed with "Dr. Oz" then it's bs.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Please don't feel bad! Think of it this way, you just got the truth for free without having to spend money, time and energy on a weight loss scam. That's a huge victory!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Please don't feel bad! Think of it this way, you just got the truth for free without having to spend money, time and energy on a weight loss scam. That's a huge victory!

^ Yes. None of us are out to get you personally, we just don't like crappy information being pushed on people from authority figures/entertainers.

It's a regular occurrence here on MFP that people will see something on Dr. Oz and post about it, and just about every time (every time I can recall), it's something that hasn't been proven effective and is a waste of time and money. The better contributors to MFP will always try and put a stop to this for the benefit of the community.

It's nothing personal.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    This plan sounds like a winner. Let us know how it turns out.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Funny, years ago before his popularity took off he did a several part series called The Truth about Food in conjunction with the Discovery Channel and the BBC about health fads. Oprah covered it on her show.

From Oprah's website: "On The Truth About Food, researchers created their own version of a detox diet, which incorporated common principles of the most popular detox diets. Then, it was time to put it to the test. At a country retreat, 10 women who say they party often—and pay the price—were divided into two groups. The first group was put on a detox program. To help researchers scientifically compare the results, the other group ate a normal diet.

Before the trial began, the urine and saliva of all of the women were tested to determine their levels of toxins. Another sample would be analyzed at the end of the week to see if the diet helped to flush the impurities from their systems.

Each day, the detox group followed a rigorous diet, starting the day with fresh vegetable juice with ingredients such as spinach, garlic and onions. Over the course of the week, this group drank beet root shakes and ate seaweed salad.

Meanwhile, the control group ate a hearty balanced diet of pasta, red meat, wine, coffee, chocolate and potato chips. At the end of the test, the women dropped off the last 24 hours' worth of urine and saliva for analysis.

The detox diet group didn't seem to be enjoying their food—was the sacrifice worth it? "It had no impact at all," Dr. Oz says. "I was surprised by this, because I really thought we'd see more of an effect."

Dr. Oz says the women involved in the experiment were generally healthy, even though they drank a bit more than they should and might not have been taking ideal care of themselves. "But what we did find was that the liver was doing the same things. You had the same kinds of toxicities," he says. "Because toxins that we get into our body go to our fatty tissues. They go to places like the liver and the brain. It takes more than 10 days to get them out."

Even though detox diets can't cleanse the body of toxins in such a short amount of time, Dr. Oz says these diets can be useful as a jump-start to healthier eating. "Now that you've moved to a whole new place in what you tolerate and expect in life, it's easier to go from there," he says." http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Oz-on-Food-Myths_1/16#ixzz1pmKqAM5G

So why he's now pushing a detox diet, I don't know. He's become quite the quack if you ask me.

I remember that show, and that particular study. Detox, did absolutely nothing more than a healthy diet did, AND THEY GOT TO EAT CHOCOLATE!! The shake that the "detox" group drank, looked down right nasty!
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Having just read his 2-day detox meal plan: 2 days of eating quinoa, flax seed oil & some prunes sprinkled on top for breakfast, a kale & pineapple smoothie or veggie sticks for lunch, and veggie soup for dinner. I don't understand all the negative reaction to this making him a quack. If anything, it seems like a good step on the right direction toward eating less crap and eating healthful foods.

I'm not claiming that this will detox anyone, or that it's a miracle cure, but jeez...is it really that bad?

Please proceed to unleash all your Dr. Oz hating on me :-)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

^This. Dr. OZ is an Oprah created persona, just like Phil.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Having just read his 2-day detox meal plan: 2 days of eating quinoa, flax seed oil & some prunes sprinkled on top for breakfast, a kale & pineapple smoothie or veggie sticks for lunch, and veggie soup for dinner. I don't understand all the negative reaction to this making him a quack. If anything, it seems like a good step on the right direction toward eating less crap and eating healthful foods.

I'm not claiming that this will detox anyone, or that it's a miracle cure, but jeez...is it really that bad?

Unleashed! :explode: :noway: :smokin:
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz has a bad rep because he is more snake oil salesman now and less of what you posted. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Oz is broken, but still right on some things.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Unleashed! :explode: :noway: :smokin:

ha ha.
    seems low in calories and protein. My main criticism is that it's not a "detox" so it's false advertising