Problems with Bars & Shakes?

Options
Does anyone out there have trouble with the bars and shakes? I'm finding my system rejecting even a once or twice daily usage of any sort of diet bar or drink...maybe I'm just really sensitive to preservatives and processed food?

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    My stomache reacted kinda violently to whey shakes, hehe.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    There is no need for these products, just another way to get people to think it is something they need to get or stay thin.

Peanut butter, other nut butters, nuts etc are a great way to fit a little extra protein into your diet. My favorite "protein bar" is an apple with peanut butter.

As far as shakes go I make myself a smoothie and add some EAS vanilla powder to it when I need something on the go.

stomach aside, my taste buds totally reject bars of all kinds. If i wanted cardboard I would go buy a box and eat it :laugh:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Look into the organic ones if you are looking for something. Lara bars are really tasty and you know everything on the label
  • godsgrl
    godsgrl Posts: 49
    Options
    I don't do well with any of that stuff either. I think it's the soy or whey in them, or maybe the concentration of such ingredients. Just too much frankenfood for my system.

Someone mentioned Lara Bars. LOVE THEM! They have about four ingredients and are really yummy if you like dried fruits & nuts.

I also make our own *protein* bars using ingredients like oats, peanut butter, eggs, etc. Very easy. Kind of like a cookie bar but not as sweet -- I use bananas or applesauce, raisins, etc to make them sweet. No sugar. My kids like them too and don't seem to miss the sugar. Sometimes I'll put some honey in them. I guess you could use some Splenda if you like it. I make them different every time and don't really follow a recipe. There are lots of recipes out there on the web. Pick one you like and go from there. I think I got my original out of The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook.
  • girltrumpeter85
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you - it's great to know others have the same problem I do with the high content of processed 'frankenfood'. And thank you for the suggestions as well!
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Same here. I cannot eat any kind of bars or drink any shakes. My stomach feels very uncomfortable afterwards and balloons up really big.

I make my own bars, it's very easy. Soak some dried dates in warm water to soften them up a bit. Grind or chop some fresh nuts, blend the dates in a blender, mix them with the nuts and some puffed rice or puffed millet. Shape them into bars or balls or whatever shape you want. They are delicious and natural and no baking required. These are pretty high in calories (just like most other bars) but are very satisfying and filling. You can mix some cocoa powder in with the dates and you get a really nice chocolate flavor. I make these for emergencies or if I am travelling and don't want to eat on the road.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Does anyone out there have trouble with the bars and shakes? I'm finding my system rejecting even a once or twice daily usage of any sort of diet bar or drink...maybe I'm just really sensitive to preservatives and processed food?

:laugh: when i read the subject line i thought you were having problems with alcohol, Bars, shakes, lol.
  • girltrumpeter85
    Options

:laugh: when i read the subject line i thought you were having problems with alcohol, Bars, shakes, lol.

LOL, I didn't think of that.....

Slimkitty, thanks for the advice on making your own bars!
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    So, i eat Luna bars every now and again during the week when I'm rushed to work. I think they're tastey. Thoughts on those the same as above?