Amount of carbs to eat

Options
2»

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Carbs technically aren't necessary for survival (they're the only one of the macronutrients that aren't).

So let's work our way up from zero...

The lowest carbs you can possibly eat would probably be about 10% of daily cals from carbs (I would say it's pretty much impossible to eat zero because you will naturally get some from just about anything you eat). So assuming that you're on something like 1800 cals a day - that would be about 45g of carbs/day

Eating that low carb your body will switch over to using ketones instead of glucose for energy and you'll probably feel like crap and get a fuzzy brain, but it won't kill ya. Some people even report stellar weight loss effects on ketogenic plans.

More moderate "low carb" plans like the Zone will put you at about 40% of daily cals from carbs. So our imaginary dude on an 1800 calorie diet will be eating something like 180g of carbs/day.

The US gov recommendation is 50% of cals from carbs per day. So back to our 1800 calorie guy - he's now eating about 225g of carbs per day.

The point I'm trying to make with all this is that how many carbs you eat really comes down to wether you have bought into the current demonization of carbs as the main culprit in obesity and other western diseases. Personally I do think there's a link, but it's one factor in many, not the sole villain. I aim for a moderate amount of carbs. I have low days but mostly I'm over 200g/day. So far the weight loss has been steady. There has certainly been no "insidious weight gain".
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs at about 100 or so a day. I have insulin resistance..so the carbs I do consume come from fruits and veggies. If I do partake in others..I make sure they are complex carbs like quinoa or whole wheat bread, multi grain bread...You need to see what works for you.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,754 Member
    Options
    I am here to testify that I lost all my weight eating 200+ grams of carbs a day.

Impossible, frankly i'm surprised you're not obese with all that insulin being released ;)
    I know! I should ask for my money back for not getting that "Steady, Insidious Weight Gain" that was advertised.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've been trying to stay between 50 and 100, even though my macros are set to 130 for carbs. I'm finding it REALLY difficult to stay low (since I'm also watching my sodium and making sure I stay under 2,300). A lot of things I love that are lower in carbs (cheeses, etc) are high in sodium. I don't eat bread except for a rare occasion, if I do it's low-carb whole wheat pitas. I don't eat anything processed, no pasta, etc, and am still having a hard time staying between 50 and 100....I'm afraid to go higher, but I guess I'm also curious what range people are staying in, and if they are having results.....if I can eat up to 130 which is what I am set for, I'd be happy!!! It's very hard to stay under 100 when you're eating fruit, oatmeal, etc!!!!

Oh, and you can change it, but MFP has it set as a percentage of your total calories (I think the automatic setting is 40% from carbs, 30% from fat and 30% from protein). I am not in any position to advise you to change your settings, but maybe someone else can shed some more light on it!
    Check out my daily food. I am staying around 50 carbs per day and still feeling pretty satisfied most of the day. My calories are probably a bit too low compared to what you are going for but staying under 50 isn't too hard if you stick to lots of meat and veggies/fruit.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've been trying to stay between 50 and 100, even though my macros are set to 130 for carbs. I'm finding it REALLY difficult to stay low (since I'm also watching my sodium and making sure I stay under 2,300). A lot of things I love that are lower in carbs (cheeses, etc) are high in sodium. I don't eat bread except for a rare occasion, if I do it's low-carb whole wheat pitas. I don't eat anything processed, no pasta, etc, and am still having a hard time staying between 50 and 100....I'm afraid to go higher, but I guess I'm also curious what range people are staying in, and if they are having results.....if I can eat up to 130 which is what I am set for, I'd be happy!!! It's very hard to stay under 100 when you're eating fruit, oatmeal, etc!!!!

Oh, and you can change it, but MFP has it set as a percentage of your total calories (I think the automatic setting is 40% from carbs, 30% from fat and 30% from protein). I am not in any position to advise you to change your settings, but maybe someone else can shed some more light on it!
    Check out my daily food. I am staying around 50 carbs per day and still feeling pretty satisfied most of the day. My calories are probably a bit too low compared to what you are going for but staying under 50 isn't too hard if you stick to lots of meat and veggies/fruit.

I think your in starvation mode my friend, or pretty damn near it. I average between 30-50 grs carbs per day, but i`m still getting 2000 cals + in me..
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Here's what to do, ensure adequate protein and fat intake each day and then let the rest of your calorie fall where they may.

+1
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Here's what to do, ensure adequate protein and fat intake each day and then let the rest of your calorie fall where they may.

+1

Yeup.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

I think your in starvation mode my friend, or pretty damn near it. I average between 30-50 grs carbs per day, but i`m still getting 2000 cals + in me..

I average below 20g of carbs a day and a recent average of 11 days had me at 2514 cals a day.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit concerned. I started MFP yesterday and it says the amount of carbs I should eat is 171. However, when reading on:a medical center web site, it says:

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.
    100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.
    50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

So, to me the 171 is too far out there. It looks like 100 grams should be my goal. Am I not understanding MFP??

Thanks,

anyone know what this works out to be percentage-wise? i mean the examples above show actual number recommendations for carbs, but based on what percentage of one's daily calories?

thanks.