Do I HAVE to sweat to burn calories??? Advice please!

Hello,
I was wondering if I have to sweat in order to burn calories. I see women in my building "power" walking laps around the halls during lunch, but it is cool in here and they aren't sweating. Is this a waste of time or are they really burning calories? Thanks!

Replies

• cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    The simple answer: No.

You are burning calories right now as you sit here and type. You are burning calories in your sleep. Some people sweat more than other people - that doesn't mean they are necessarily "burning more calories"

Another fun fact: For every pound of muscle your gain, your body will naturally burn ~35-50 extra calories a day while at rest.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    no you do not have to sweat to burn calories.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member

You are burning calories right now as you sit here and type. You are burning calories in your sleep. Some people sweat more than other people - that doesn't mean they are necessarily "burning more calories"

Another fun fact: For every pound of muscle your gain, your body will naturally burn ~35-50 extra calories a day while at rest.
    Cool fun fact ... I love it! Now to add 20 pounds of muscle... :wink:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    If the walking pace is challenging .... then they are getting a good cardio workout. You want the pace to be such that you're at least a little out of breath.

We have some walkers where I work that leisurely "stroll" around the industrial park.... not real effective.
  • cstakes02
    cstakes02 Posts: 22

Awesome thanks for this info!
  • agreer09
    agreer09 Posts: 2
    Even a stroll is better than sitting at your desk during lunch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Cool fun fact ... I love it! Now to add 20 pounds of muscle... :wink:

NO! The number for every pound of muscle is closer to a single digit ...... sorry. I wish! If I work real hard & gain 1 pound of muscle I can have an extra stick of gum.

The beauty of added muscle is the "SHAPE" is gives your body. Fat is just a formless blob.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,332 Member
    Any walk is better than none, weight-loss-wise. You burn more calories walking than sitting. Even more running than walking (for the amount of time involved.)

You won't get the cardiovascular benefits if you are strolling. But it still burns more calories than doing nothing.
  • cstakes02
    If the walking pace is challenging .... then they are getting a good cardio workout. You want the pace to be such that you're at least a little out of breath.

We have some walkers where I work that leisurely "stroll" around the industrial park.... not real effective.
    The women are swinging their arms briskly and are walking at a fast pace. I guess I just felt like it wasn't "real" exercise if you aren't sweating. I might join them now that I know!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Sweat is how the body cools down, how the body control its temperature. It has nothing to do with whether or not calories are burned. So they are still burning calories strolling, might be very little calories but still burning.
  • cstakes02
    Sweat is how the body cools down, how the body control its temperature. It has nothing to do with whether or not calories are burned. So they are still burning calories strolling, might be very little calories but still burning.
    Good to know. Thank you for your help. I don't know why I always tie how much I sweat to the amount of calories I burn.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    No. I very rarely ever sweat, even when running a 10k in under an hour. I would be very irritated to find out someone thought I wasn't exercising just because I wasn't sweating. You can sweat doing nothing in the sun. Sweat is no indication of anything.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member

NO! The number for every pound of muscle is closer to a single digit ...... sorry. I wish! If I work real hard & gain 1 pound of muscle I can have an extra stick of gum.
    It is only about 4 calories per pound of fat converted to muscle. Convert 20 pounds of muscle to fat and you will burn another 80 calories per day. Not huge. Also better than nothing
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    If sweat = calories burned I'd already be skinny.......

In my tri class we have a varied group of people and the spinning sessions can be pretty intense. Some of us have a puddle under our bikes and there are others that don't even seem to have a damp forehead.