My new favorite exercise

Options
is the plank! Wow!

I am doing a challenge with some fine MFP folks and one of our first challenges was the plank. Hold it for as long as you can. I didn't do great for time but, for the first time in a really long time I can feel that my abs had a workout. I am keeping track of the time I am able to hold it for and trying to build a few seconds each time.

I love the plank!

Kristine

Replies

• runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: A big DITTO for the plank! Who would have thought something so simple could be so effective? Keep up the good work!
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    I'm going to probably sound like an idiot, but the fact that I'm 20 years old probably has something to do with it... Don't laugh..... ;) I honestly thought "the plank" was a "trend" not an exercise. The reason why I say this is all the people on my Facebook (Thin) have pictures of them planking in the most awkward places. The more awkward the better. lol.

Can you please tell me more about Planking for the exercise benefits. Like what muscle groups does it work? How many times should I do it?

Thanks in advance!

19609851.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I love the plank because if you do it topless and look down, it'll motivate you to keep going.
    I now know the meaning of bowl full of jelly.

Plank is basically a pushup in the up position, hold it for as long as you can, rest, repeat
    It works most of the core.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    I'm gonna try that out during tomorrows workout. :)

Thanks!

19609851.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    i am learning to like them.. first training session. i got rug burn from doing them.. was thinking i could have been doing something a lot more fun.. lmbo
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yoga.
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Plank, no contest.

I have seen more change in less time in my core and overall stregth from the plank that any other single excercise.

Basic beginning plank pose.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU
  • countrywildflower
    countrywildflower Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just recently started doing the plank. Its not the easiest but it really good for your abs. I hope I get better at it. Its tough.