Food for post-workout

Options
2»

Replies

• eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I read a study somewhere yrs ago saying a full glass of skim or 1% milk helped build more muscle after a workout then soy milk products or protien drinks. Seems like protien is the key but animal protien is best. Milk also provides lactose which is another form of sugar to provide the quick fix to replace the stuff you just used up and the protien for muscle building.
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    I usually hit two 26g protein shots, three 4g glucose tablets and a 12oz gatorade that has 21g of carbs. That is 1/5 of my daily protein intake, and 1/4 of my daily carb intake.

EDIT to say that when I am done with my workout, I am usually barely able to drag myself to my car. I eat/drink all this before leaving the parking lot. By the time I get home 15 minutes later, the carbs have done their job and I am able to go about my evening activities.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've heard that a glass of chocolate milk is good for after an intense workout. I'm not sure of why, but I do remember hearing it said. I normally just have water and some fruit if I'm feeling hungry.

I've read this from several different sources myself. It's supposed to have just the right amount of carbs, glucose, and protein for recovering muscles. I love chocolate milk and would love to keep some around for post-workouts...but my children will finish off the entire gallon before the day is up. So I eat a piece of cheese, boiled egg, glass of milk, or whatever I can find. :tongue:
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    white bread with peanut butter and jelly, any starch like baked potato or white rice. and a must CHOCOLATE MILK, read ingredients though, make sure there's no High Corn Fructose Syrup
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great. I personally do a protein shake WITH bananas (did I just blow your mind?).

There are tons of different protein powders out there (I would personally suggest to stay away from the pre-made shakes). I personally like from EAS or Optimum Nutrition (both whey).

Hahaha! :laugh: I also usually mix in half of a frozen banana. *Gasp!
  • TuDominicano
    Options
    You can have the banana before the workout.
    Definitely don't eat bananas, they're really high in sugar. Natural sugar, but sugar none the less. A guy at a vitamin shoppe told me thats the worst fruit to eat if you're trying to lose weight. If you can help it don't eat after you work out. Drink water till you're full. Thats just me though.
  • Rboch
    Rboch Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Protein shake and some sort of complex carbs; whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, smart pasta. Carbs help your muscles recover and repair better/faster after workouts.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein....the 20 min window thing is rubbish...but within a few hours is advisable. Taken with water is a much faster uptake than with milk.
  • TuDominicano
    Options
    WELL SAID
    Definitely don't eat bananas, they're really high in sugar. Natural sugar, but sugar none the less. A guy at a vitamin shoppe told me thats the worst fruit to eat if you're trying to lose weight. If you can help it don't eat after you work out. Drink water till you're full. Thats just me though.

Rule No. 1 - most guys at "vitamin shops' are idiots...bananas are not bad, in moderation, just like anything else. And the sugar from bananas is burned as more available fuel for your body than processed sugar so pre-workout it is a good fuel source.

Post-workout I would go with a whey protein followed by a light meal of protein like chicken or tuna, some good carb like sweet potato or corn and veggies..and water.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I drink a product called New Whey liquid protein. You can find it at Wal-Mart for $2.48 and GNC for a $3.47 and it has 42g of protein.
  • jerzygrl5k
    jerzygrl5k Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat a bananas too but I do it to avoid muscle cramps and soreness. It doesn't have to be bananas but anything high in K will help keep away the soreness. It is an essential eloctrolyte for your muscles/nerves and keeps them from getting stiff. That way i can work out the next day with no aches or pains and avoid sudden cramps resulting in injury.

As far as protien and carbs I just finished reading an artical on Sparkpeople that stated a good post workout meal/snack should be half of the calories you burned, 60% of the calories from carbs, %30 percent of the calories from protien and a little fat is ok but does not help/harm either way. I don't know if this is correct but it is the artical I just read because I had the same question.

Here is an artical about K, don't let some dude at a store make you feel like you are doing things wrong (that's for your doctor or trainer to help you with): http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-effects-of-potassium-deficiency.htm
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    guiness and a roast beef sammich :P

:D