Chicken Potato Soup

maremare312
maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
This is kinda stupid easy to make, but turned out really tasty! The "secret" is to use fresh homemade stock or broth. I don't really like chunky vegetables (especially potatoes or tomatoes) in soup, but creamy soups are usually full of cream = high calories. Pureeing the vegetables in broth or tomato based soups makes it delicious, imo. This was basically a chicken noodle soup with potatoes instead of noodles.

1 whole or half chicken carcass (ie, after roasting a chicken and eating most of the meat off)
Veggies for stock (1-2 onions, 3-4 carrots, 3-4 stalks of celery, all sliced in half or quarters)

10 cups (approx) stock
1 cup (approx) chopped chicken
1 clove garlic, pressed
4 medium sized red potatoes
1/4 head cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, shredded
large handful italian parsley, chopped (optional)
salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste

Boil your chicken carcass along with stock veggies and water to cover by a few inches in a large pot, for an hour or two until stock develops. Strain stock into another pot. Discard vegetables and pick over bones to get at least 1 cup of chicken meat. Set aside.

Using about 10 cups of stock, bring back to boil in same pan. Add pressed garlic and vegetables. Simmer until potatoes are tender. Blend using a stick blender. Add chicken and parlsey and season to taste.

Very yummy and pretty low in calories. I would have added a bunch of spinach or other greens to this if I had thought of it. I don't really like the texture of cooked celery, and I was out of it after using it to flavor the stock, but the cabbage was great, it kinda disappeared in my final soup but I think added some thickness. I shredded my veggies in my mini food processor which cut down on the work and actually made them smaller than if I shredded them by hand.

Replies

• momnorg
    momnorg Posts: 40 Member
    sounds great! will have to try this
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    This sounds good. I was craving potato soup yesterday as the storm was passing through.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    I'm in! I'll probably replace the cabbage with more celery, or kale or similar
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    I'm in! I'll probably replace the cabbage with more celery, or kale or similar

Yeah it was kind of an odd choice but one of those days where I was just throwing veggies all over the place! Also did a ton of roasted green beans, so good!
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    roasted green beans??