not feeling full

Options
My main issue with loosing weight is that I don't have a trigger that tells me I'm full/satisfied. No matter how much I eat, even if I feel physically full to the point of being naseous, I still always feel like I can eat more. My father and grandfather have that too. Like after having a good sized meal I can fell that my stomach is full, but I still want more. does anyone else have this problem? how do you deal with it?

Replies

• Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I think it becomes really important to measure your portions and re-train your body, starting with your eyes. You might try reading the Beck Diet Solution - it helps with learning to listen to hunger signals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    It's a mental game. I think most of us who were overweight had that. Food is good. It's pleasurable. You have to develop strategies to beat your mind. Beat the compulsion.

I frequently remind myself that 1500 calories a day is all I need, the rest is a waste of money and will make me gain weight. But I understand you. I can easily pack down 2500 calories in a meal, and still be thinking I could eat more.

Do some research on obsession and compulsion. Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My main issue with loosing weight is that I don't have a trigger that tells me I'm full/satisfied. No matter how much I eat, even if I feel physically full to the point of being naseous, I still always feel like I can eat more. My father and grandfather have that too. Like after having a good sized meal I can fell that my stomach is full, but I still want more. does anyone else have this problem? how do you deal with it?

Well, if you feel full to the point of nausea, then you do have a trigger that tells you you're full and satisfied. It sounds like possibly an emotional eating issue to me.
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Well, if you feel full to the point of nausea, then you do have a trigger that tells you you're full and satisfied. It sounds like possibly an emotional eating issue to me.

I feel physically full yes, but I still want more. I don't feel satisfaction. And it's definately not emotional
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    The key is to eat until you are not hungry anymore. Not eating until you are full. Eating physiologically has nothing to do with satisfaction. It is a psychological trait. We eat to live. Not live to eat. When you eat, stop when you are not hungry anymore. Not when you feel full.
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The key is to eat until you are not hungry anymore. Not eating until you are full. Eating physiologically has nothing to do with satisfaction. It is a psychological trait. We eat to live. Not live to eat. When you eat, stop when you are not hungry anymore. Not when you feel full.

then i'd probably never stop. I'm always hungry. even right after a meal.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options

Of course I'm like that, if I wasn't I don't think I'd be using this site. The way that I deal with it is to work out as much as I can to increase the calories I can eat! It's a game with me, the more I work out the more I can eat and in turn the more weight I lose. I love it!!
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling sometimes, I know exactly what you're talking about. Where you just ate, you know logically, and you feel it in your stomach, that you've eaten enough--but you still want to eat more. Almost always, for me, it's actually thirst. Your body can make you feel "hunger" when it's really thirsty and craving water. So the first thing I do after a meal like that is drink water (especially if I haven't been that day). Nine times out of ten, that satisfies the feeling. If that doesn't fix it, I'll eat a mint, or drink some hot tea with splenda. I read somewhere that mint signals to your body that you're done eating. I don't know if that's true, but it always works for me. The hot tea will usually do the trick, too, even if it's not mint. I genuinely don't know if it's something about those things in particular, or if it's just conditioning, though.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I could eat all day long, even once I'm stuffed to the point of being sick, if I am eating certain things. Things like tortilla chips I can eat several pounds of in a sitting and still want more even though I am starting to feel sick physically. The only way that I've been able to combat that is cutting those types of things out and eating low carb. The fat in the food triggers the satisfaction feeling much earlier than I normally would feel it when eating more carb heavy meals.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

I feel physically full yes, but I still want more. I don't feel satisfaction. And it's definately not emotional

How don't you feel satisfaction? Sounds like your mind is telling you that you want more without you actually needing it.

What about serving yourself a plate of food with the portions you have counted in your food diary. Once you're done that than drink some water and do an activity for a few minutes. Come back after if you are still hungry.

Are you drinking enough water? Sometimes our bodies mistake thirst for hunger. Might be it? Is the extra food on the table or counter? Could you want more because the food is there and you can see/smell it?

Maybe try plating the food once you are doing making it and than putting the left overs away. Might help you not eat more if you can't see it. A bit more work but might help you.

Eat slowly if you don't already. Our bodies need time to process the "I'm full"feeling and signal. Good luck - I think we've all been there at some point.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

This isn't normal. If you don't have a parasitic tapeworm there is a mental issue here.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I was the same way but I relized I was just bored.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options

[/quote
    They mean phyisicaly hungry not satisfied. No longer starving. Eventually your body will be happy with that.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    You need to train your head to know when enough is enough. I occasionally have this problem during binges. I KNOW I'm full and I'll feel like puking if I continue to eat, but I do it anyway.

Once you've trained your mind to know it's time to stop, you'll be more satiated. Eat slowly, chewing properly, and let it all catch up. Use portions, and use the NO SECONDS rule. This is about changing your lifestyle. You have to do it if you wan tot succeed.
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You could also not be filling your body with what it actually needs. If you're body needs more protein but you're feeding it fiber and/or carbs, you might still be craving protein. I agree with everyone here you definitely need to keep track of what you are eating and make sure your diet includes all the minimum amounts of nutrients that your body requires.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    When I used to smoke, I'd think to myself I need a cigarette...while I was smoking a cigarette.

Sounds like you are addicted to food. Maybe your sensitivity to the 'i'm full' hormones is dulled.

Try reducing sugar/carb intake.

Try intermittent fasting.

Or...see a doctor.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I trained myself by literally setting an alarm for every 3.5 hours (which is what worked for me, something else may for you). When the alarm went off, I ate whatever snack or meal it was time for, and only ate what I had listed. I had to make packs of serving sizes and hide the rest of the food. After I ate whatever it was, I would not eat again until the alarm went off again. Before too long, I didn't have to go by the alarm anymore because I had shrunk my stomach and literally could not eat anything else. 6 small meals worked for me.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I was the same way but I relized I was just bored.
    ^ This

I work a desk job and its pretty boring. If I didnt set up what time i eat each day I would graze all day long at my desk. Same with watching tv. For me it seems to be that I need to do something with my hands or chew gum or even better ice and its not so bad. Could be that boredom is your issue. The more bored I am the more I think about food and sometime i think i trick my body into thinking its hungry
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options

You don't feel satisfaction. That is a classic statement of an emotion.
    I own that. I am not an emotional eater, I am too tough. I don't have any emotional reason to eat, I am just hungry. But I wasn't hungry, and maybe that is the real answer. You connect feeling hungry to being satisfied. They are NOT the same thing.
    I don't know you so I am going by my experience. I was missing some things that I did not even realize I was missing.

As someone that wants you to succeed, I have to say, if you are asking for advice, that is the first step, being open to possibilities you hadn't considered is the second step. If we have all the answers we don't need any help.....and we all need help.
  • belinda1carroll
    belinda1carroll Posts: 4 Member
    Options

This isn't normal. If you don't have a parasitic tapeworm there is a mental issue here.
    I'm the same way, always hungry even after a meal...saying you have a mental issue isn't the kindest way of phrasing it but you do sound like an emotional eater like me and that is a mental issue. I know you don't think you are but I've read all your comments and it seems you are; you should do some research on emotional eating. I hope you figure it out, keep looking for answers and you'll find it, good luck!