Answer me this... how????

Options
I'm 5'3'', 168lbs, and I'm eating between 1300-1500 calories a day. I do the 30DS 4-5 days a week. I add in a 1/2 hr to 1hr walk, 1/2 hour Zumba or 1/2 hour on the Gazelle. I've done that from the middle of January to the middle of February. From mid-Feb to now, I've just been doing the 30DS 3-4 times a week. And I've gone up 5lbs. I've lost about half an inch all over, though.
Now, I know what everyone is going to say. "Eat more". I get it =D. I really do. And this former Bulimic is ready to do it.

My girl crush is LorinaLynn, and I want THAT kind of success. I want THOSE abs. I want those *GUNS*!

Now, I know I need to eat more, and start C25K again, or at least interval walk/runs. I know I need to up my calories, as I'm netting about 700-900 daily.

My question is.....

HOW?????

It feels like I eat all the time.... . I'm sucking on my smoothie, or coffee (with skim milk and protein powder) all morning. I take more food then any of my co-workers for lunch. I eat at least 1/2 of what my "growing boy" fiancee eats for dinner (which is a massive plate for me!). I usually sneak in an afternoon snack. My day consists of skim milk, protein powder, shrimp, massive salads with low fat dressing (the girls laugh at me cuz of how big they are), lean protein (big chicken fan), veggies, whole wheat (if I eat bread/pasta), homemade low sodium soups.....

People are starting to comment that I'm either "always eating", or commenting that "with what you eat, you should be loosing weight!" (this is usually after I tell them I'm at 168lbs and gaining).

To fix the not loosing problem, I need to up my cals. But how? What are some of your favourite breakfast, morning snack, or afternoon snack ideas?

Amy

Replies

• beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch to full fat milk in your coffee. It will add some calories back.

Nuts are a great high calorie, healthy source to up those calories - walnuts have omega 3s so are also good for that.

It sounds like you just have a smoothie for breakfast. Try greek yogurt with granola and/or fruit. That might be some more calories that are still good for you.

Nut butters (I LOVE peanut butter) are also good.

Try adding things to your salad that have more calories. Nuts, avocado, more protein, fruit.
  • runningdiva77
    Options
    i can't see your diary, but i agree with the above comment- heat more healthy fats, it will help burn it during your workout
  • runningdiva77
    Options
    p..s. drink alot more water
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ah! I always forget about nuts! *adds to shopping list* good for snacks.
    Full fat milk tastes wrong... but I'll try adding another cup of milk for dinner, perhaps?
    My smoothies are usually a mix of 1-2 fruits, protein powder, milk and plain yogurt. I'll admit, the past fews weeks I've been lax on doing the smoothie thing, but I have all the ingredients. Starting again in the morning.
    Granola! Gah! Another one I forget about....
    If I can find peanut butter in individual servings I'll try it, but it was a binge food during my ED years way back when =/
    My salads usually have shirmp/chicken in it, and some cheese. Maybe tomatos and mushrooms. I'll play around with the avocado those... I know many tote it's powers often ;)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats! Avocado, nuts, olive oil. A handful of nuts, half an avocado or a tablespoon of olive oil would really boost your calories right quick. Add all of them to a salad! Oh, yum, that actually sounds really good. Mix the olive oil with a dressing, obviously!

Don't be afraid of fats, eating fat doesn't make you fat. Eating too much makes you fat. Right? And sometimes, that full fat yogurt is so much tastier than the "skinny" varieties...

Edit - I love almond butter. I like it way better than peanut butter. Maybe that would be better? At least then it's not a binge food!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are getting a whole lot of carbs either. You could up those. Carbs are not your enemy. :) A cup of pasta, or a baked potato.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    my lunch salads usually contain: greens (spinach or whatever was on sale), about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of peas, some mushrooms if I have them, some sprouts, some sesame seeds, and maybe some cheese, or some lean protein, and whatever dressing hits the spot for the day. try playing with what you're adding to your salad too - you can EASILY add more calories in there. ;) good luck!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite breakfasts is cheese toast and tomatoes. I use whole grain bread and reduced fat cheese, then slice some tomatoes on top. A high fiber cereal is also good. If you really need to up the calories, try a granola-based cereal for breakfast. Then put some fruit on the side. And eggs are always a gread choice for breakfast. I love omelettes made with feta cheese and veggies.

For snacks, I love seasoned popcorn, veggie chips and straws, bananas, apples, almonds, PB2 w/ crackers (although you could probably go for the real thing!), and ice cream. :)
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ohhh@! Toasted tomato and cheese sammiches! I'll get over my "that's a treat food" phobia ;)

Spinach! Peas! Sprouts! Seasme seeds! Excellent!

Therealangd - I don't get much carbs, prolly around 60g/day. I'll start adding in some brown/grainy rice :)

I've never had almond butter.... will try! Oh! Whole grain bread and almond butter!

Hm... olive oil, and that'll break up "creamy" dressings into something with a more pleasing consistancy....

This is perfect!
  • bunnzye2
    bunnzye2 Posts: 56
    Options
    IN ALMOST A YEAR I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANYONE ELSE MENTION THE GAZELLE, OR EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS. I LOVE IT.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I love almonds, avocados, and eggs. I think I could eat just those three things day in and day out! Hahah!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I actually like sunflower seeds (kernels, already shelled) on my salads sometimes. Or chinese crispy noodles. Endemame (soy beans) is pretty good too on a salad (if you can have soy). Whole grain bread and almond butter is pretty tasty, but I can't have the bread, lol! (Allergic to yeast.)