Options
mrs_dwr
mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
This past Sunday, I completed my first half-marathon! I gave birth to twins via c-section in September, when my older daughter was 19 months old. My doctor gave me permission to start exercising in December. In January, when the twins were 3.5 months old, I decided that if I could survive each day with 3 kids under 2, I could do anything - even run a half-marathon. So that's what I set out to do! It was sort of a New Year's resolution, but mainly it was to prove to myself that I could do anything if I put my mind to it.

I have N.E.V.E.R. been a runner in my life. Before January 8, I had never run longer than 2 minutes, literally. And now, 10 weeks later, I not only completed a half-marathon, but I ran the whole way! I participated in the Publix Georgia Half-Marathon in Atlanta, which is extremely hilly. I hadn't expected the hills to be as bad as they were, but I powered on through them. My primary goal was to simply finish the race, my secondary goal was to finish in under 3 hours. I finished with a time of 2:28:52! I averaged a speed of 5.24mph, which I am proud of, especially with how difficult those hills were. Here's the course map, with the elevation profile in orange at the bottom: http://www.georgiamarathon.com/coursemap.pdf

Anyway, I just want to say that if I, the mother of a now-2-year-old and two 6-month-olds, can complete a half-marathon after never running in her entire life up until 10 weeks ago - SO CAN YOU. Or you can do whatever goal is out there that you may think is insurmountable. Just make a commitment to yourself, and you can achieve it. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Nice way to tackle your goal. It's a huge accomplishment to run a half without having 3 kids to interfere with your training let alone with. Keep up the awesome work!

exercise.png
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!